Old November 3rd, 2011, 01:52 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Kurt Ullman

Default At least 4 jets strand Conn. passengers for hours

In article , Fly Guy wrote:

Even when overwhelmed, you don't just throw up your arms and say "if I
can't deplane ALL of them, then I will deplane NONE of them" (that's
what you seem to be implying).

I haven't heard anything definitive on what was done. Did the
deplane none of them? Or was Jet Blue just down the line? Actually,
since you appareently have nearly as many unscheduled planes as you did
gates (the website indicates 30 gates) , how can you deplane them all?

In this case, we know that 10 to 20 unscheduled planes landed at that
particular airport. How many of them were "irregular" - I don't know.

The news reports said specifically that 20 or so were diverted from
other airports. Besides if they are unscheduled how could they be
anything BUT irregular. Maybe I missed an additional point you were
trying to make.. certainly wouldn't be the first time (g).

The dynamics of the interaction between all parties (pilot, tower,
airport management, FAA, airline management) need to be put under a
microscope to uncover obstacles, roadblocks and costs associated with
the timely deplanement of passengers arriving at airports during
irregular operations and conditions.

That I'll agree with, but to arbitrarily put a time line on deplaning
(in emergency conditions) seems untenable. Another option should be for
the FAA to work on an algorithm that would help disperse the flights in
a more workable manner. Seems like this little airport got socked badly
and maybe the FAA could have spread the pain a little more evenly.

You will note in a previous post that the Jet Blue pilot stated that a
police car (local municipal police?) was parked in front of the plane.
What aspect of law enforcement and police duty was being excercised
here? Could this be viewed as a level of gov't assisting a private
corporation to limit or interfere with the liberty of the citizens on
that plane?

Depends on who put them there. If it was at the behsest of the
airport so the pilot did not do something (they felt) was rash and move
the plane, then nope.