Old August 18th, 2004, 03:12 AM
Bob Chipeska

"Fly Guy" wrote in message ...
Ender wrote:

Mike wrote:

Federal air marshals protect less than 5 percent of daily U.S.

True or not, it wouldn't be a problem if everyone believed that
air marshals were on every flight.

What's even more logical is this:

After 9/11, the popular impression that it's best to cooperate with
hijackers was thrown out the window.

What most people now believe (I'm sure) is that it's best to combat
hijackers immediately - and not be just a plane-load of sheep.

I would imagine that any would-be jihaddi hijackers are also aware that
travelers are already on a hair-trigger. Examine the incidents since 9/11:
An insane/drunk man rushes to the cockpit door and the passengers promptly
flatten him. A person with a mental disorder or someone who's intoxicated
won't be deterred by a pre-flight announcement.

What the US Gov't and FAA SHOULD have done after 9/11 is to add the
following line to the pre-recorded message played on all commercial
flights prior to take-off:

"You may be called upon by a member of the crew or fellow passengers
to assist them in disarming or detaining anyone threatening the safety
of this aircraft."

That single innocuous statement alone is worth more than a thousand
air-marshalls. It turns every flight into a plane full of air
marshalls. No self-respecting hijacker, upon hearing such a message
on test-flight after test-flight, would ever consider a hi-jacking
al-la 9/11 again.

The jihadis plan and rehearse their attacks. Based on their history, if they
plan to hijack another airliner they already know the passengers will put up
a fight. If there is a genuine hijacking, do you really think an FA with a
knife to her throat is going to have the presence of mind to ask the
passengers to detain her captor? Do you honestly believe a jihaddi hijacker
will be scared by your announcement? I don't.