Old August 18th, 2004, 10:16 AM
james_anatidae

"Bob Chipeska" wrote in message

"R J Carpenter" wrote in message

"JohnT" wrote in message

Why? Travelling by air, even taking into account the fact that

occasionally
really nasty things happen, is 99.99 per cent safe.

Very few people would make air trips if flying were that unsafe. There
would be a crash about once a day in the USA.

Guesstimate that each of the top 25 airports in the USA have an average

of
300 departures per day (some have much more). That makes vaguely 7500
departures per day, just counting the major airports. JohnT threw out

the
number of one problem per ten thousand flights. That would mean roughly

one
airliner crash per day in the USA. There have been about 1000 days

since
"9/11". IIRC, it has been a number of years since a mainline US

airliner
crash.

I believe the last one was the Airbus that went down over Brooklyn. Those

of
us with at least 3-4 decades under our belts can remember a time when
commercial airliners went down a couple times every year, and that was in
countries with state-of-the-art aircraft and control systems.

Example: Windshear. When was the last time you heard of an airliner being
brought down by windshear? Last incident I can recall in the US was at DFW
in the mid-1980s. Since then airports have installed detection equipment.

I still remember the newsmedia talking about "Windshear" like it was the
boogie man way up until the mid 90's.

--
"I don't understand how poor people think."
-- George W. Bush, New York Times, 2003-08-26

Goliath & Wildwing's Storage Room
http://anatidae.homestead.com/