Old March 18th, 2006, 09:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Help with France itinerary

Wow
just arrived, no jetlag and directly to Honfleur by car ??

"Karen Walker" a écrit dans le message de news:
EMZSf.830970$x96.827119@attbi_s72...
Below is a rough itinerary for an 18-day drive through France next month.
I've listed the main sites we're thinking of visiting and a tentative
hotel choice for each night (in caps). If I've missed something
spectacular (or if something should be in the don't-bother category), I'd
like to hear your ideas.

I'd also welcome recommendations for different hotels/b&bs and for
moderately priced restaurants in the areas we're visiting. I'd especially
appreciate advice on how we might consolidate hotel nights. I've tried to
arrange it so we don't have to change hotels too often, but with the price
of tolls and gas, we'd also like to avoid too much backtracking.

Has anyone taken a hot-air balloon ride over the Loire Valley? The main
company is www.franceballoons.com, but they're also quite expensive (180,
225 or 230 euros per person, depending on which of their web pages you
consult). If you know of a reliable but more affordable company, please
let me know.

Finally, a packing question: I figure Normandy will still be sweater
weather, but I'm not sure about what clothes and outerwear we'll need for
late April in the south.

Thanks for your help.

4/17 -- Arrive CDG 8:20 am. & pick up rental car. Giverny, Rouen,
Jumieges Abbey.
HONFLEUR - Mercure Hotel
4/18 -- Pays d'Auge countryside, Ponte Audemer, Deauville, (Etretat?).
HONFLEUR - Mercure Hotel
4/19 -- Caen & Bayeux
BAYEUX - Hotel d'Argouges
4/20 - D-day beaches and cemeteries, Point du Hoc, St. Mere Eglise. Drive
to Mont St. Michel area.
MONT ST. MICHEL -- La Jacotiere
4/21 -- Mont St. Michel, St. Malo, Dinan. Drive to Loire Valley.
CHENONCEAU -- La Rosaraie
4/22 - Chenonceau, Chambord, maybe Cheverny chateaux. Hot-air balloon ride
over chateaux.
CHENONCEAU -- La Rosaraie
4/23 - Chinon, Montresor, wine tasting or wine cellar tour.
CHENONCEAU -- La Rosaraie
4/24 -- Oradour sur Glane, Sarlat, Beynac.
BEYNAC -- Residence Versailles
4/25 - Cenac market, Dordogne canoe trip, (Grotte de Font de Gaume?).
BEYNAC - Residence Versailles
4/26 -- (Rocamadour?), Grotte du Pech Merle, St. Cirque du Popeil,
(Cahors?), scenic route to Albi.
ALBI -- ???
4/27 -- Albi basilica, Lautrec museum, Carcassonne.
CAUNES-MINERVOIS or MINERVE -- ???
4/28 to 5/2 - Provence: Nimes, Arles, Avignon, Aix, Provence, Les Baux,
Camargue, Cassis, Luberon villages.
ST. REMY - Villa Glanum
5/3 - Ardeche Gorge, (Lyon?).
LYON/BRON - airport hotel (???).