Old March 18th, 2006, 09:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Help with France itinerary

"Karen Walker" wrote in

Below is a rough itinerary for an 18-day drive through France next
month. I've listed the main sites we're thinking of visiting and a
tentative hotel choice for each night (in caps). If I've missed
something spectacular (or if something should be in the don't-bother
category), I'd like to hear your ideas.

I'd also welcome recommendations for different hotels/b&bs and for
moderately priced restaurants in the areas we're visiting. I'd
especially appreciate advice on how we might consolidate hotel nights.
I've tried to arrange it so we don't have to change hotels too often,
but with the price of tolls and gas, we'd also like to avoid too much
backtracking.

Has anyone taken a hot-air balloon ride over the Loire Valley? The
main company is www.franceballoons.com, but they're also quite
expensive (180, 225 or 230 euros per person, depending on which of
their web pages you consult). If you know of a reliable but more
affordable company, please let me know.

Finally, a packing question: I figure Normandy will still be sweater
weather, but I'm not sure about what clothes and outerwear we'll need
for late April in the south.

Thanks for your help.

4/17 -- Arrive CDG 8:20 am. & pick up rental car. Giverny, Rouen,
Jumieges Abbey.
HONFLEUR - Mercure Hotel

You will be beat, the Mercure isn't the fanciest but it is farirly clsoe
to the old port It is not out of the question for the day in Bayeux I
would stay the extra night.
4/18 -- Pays d'Auge countryside, Ponte Audemer, Deauville, (Etretat?).
HONFLEUR - Mercure Hotel
4/19 -- Caen & Bayeux
BAYEUX - Hotel d'Argouges
4/20 - D-day beaches and cemeteries, Point du Hoc, St. Mere Eglise.
Drive to Mont St. Michel area.
MONT ST. MICHEL -- La Jacotiere
4/21 -- Mont St. Michel, St. Malo, Dinan. Drive to Loire Valley.
CHENONCEAU -- La Rosaraie
4/22 - Chenonceau, Chambord, maybe Cheverny chateaux. Hot-air balloon
ride over chateaux.
CHENONCEAU -- La Rosaraie

La Bonlabourer at least to eat but I would stay there if possible
4/23 - Chinon, Montresor, wine tasting or wine cellar tour.
CHENONCEAU -- La Rosaraie
4/24 -- Oradour sur Glane, Sarlat, Beynac.
BEYNAC -- Residence Versailles
4/25 - Cenac market, Dordogne canoe trip, (Grotte de Font de Gaume?).
BEYNAC - Residence Versailles
4/26 -- (Rocamadour?), Grotte du Pech Merle, St. Cirque du Popeil,
(Cahors?), scenic route to Albi.
ALBI -- ???

Stay at the Mercure great views and decent accomodations with parking.
4/27 -- Albi basilica, Lautrec museum, Carcassonne.
CAUNES-MINERVOIS or MINERVE -- ???
4/28 to 5/2 - Provence: Nimes, Arles, Avignon, Aix, Provence, Les
Baux, Camargue, Cassis, Luberon villages.

ST. REMY - Villa Glanum
5/3 - Ardeche Gorge, (Lyon?).
LYON/BRON - airport hotel (???).
5/4 - Noon flight back to USA

Karen you will be exhausted but you are looking for pretty much the
whole enchilada I would do the Camargue, adn St Maries but think about
cutting Aix Luberon and Cassis unless you stay a night a Aix (Paul
Cezzane is nice - I ndon't really push Mercures as a rule, but you are
going where there are some nice ones the Paul C in Aix is a charmer.

Karen Walker, Champaign IL www.prairienet.org/bridge

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations