Old July 22nd, 2014, 08:44 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.travel.air
nam sak

Default Was Flight MH-17 Diverted Over Restricted Airspace?

Normally no I don't check the route, unless there are volcanic
eruptions or something like that since some airlines are willing to
take more risks than others. In general I think it would be pretty
impractical to even try since the pilot could change the route anyway.

I check the background of the airline. If during that process I
discovered that following a major incident the airline:-

-waited hours before declaring the aircraft missing

-said they had no primary radar data of the aircraft only to
turn around and say they did when leaks started coming out of other
countries

-squandered international resources and precious time
scouring the South China Sea/Gulf of Thailand when they already knew
it wasn't there

-initially rubbished reports that satellite data suggested
the aircraft had flown for hours only to backtrack when leaks started
coming out of Inmarsat

-claimed the last communication was the co-pilot saying all
right good night only to later admit they had lied without a word of
explanation

-claimed the cargo was mangosteens and nothing that could be
hazardous only to later admit it was carrying Lithium Ion Batteries
when another leak emerged. And still today have not released full
details of the cargo

-said they didn't know where it was but knew it was not in
the Maldives

etc

Then you know I am not going to be in a rush to get on one of their
aircraft and anyone that does is an idiot.

On Sun, 20 Jul 2014 09:55:11 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

While you're trying to finger Malaysian Airlines, from what I have
seen, what they did was no different than most other airlines operating
in that part of the world. It was European air traffic control that
declared the space above 32000 safe, and AFAIK other airlines flew
similar routes over that airspace. In fact, I haven't seen a single
airline that has said they flew around it, instead of going over it.
If you have some examples, I'd be happy to see them.

Do you check the air route that flights you're going to go on take,
to vet that they are safe? No evidence I see that MA did anything
differently than other airlines flying similar routes. Should they
have? Yes, but so should all the other airlines and more importantly
European air traffic control, which had the space open.