Old August 1st, 2010, 08:38 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.europe
Anonymouse[_5_]

Default How to Avoid Pickpockets

Do Europeans visiting the USA need to buy themselves AK47s or M15s to
feel safe?

Neither unless you know what you are doing with them.

We know what we are doing with them.

Yeah, I bet you do.

Hi,

actually he just might... someone named "Ari Silverstein" just might
have done some time in the IDF.

I live in what is often called "the most dangerous city in the US" and
what foreign tourism we get it generally focused on 2 "historic" areas
that are not in the best parts of town.

Tourists that stay close to the attractions are generally safe, those
that stray or get lost can have problems. I won't use the ATM closest to
the largest one (and the ATM closest to my house) at night.

Armed robbery is common. "aggressive panhandling" (just short of
strong-arm robbery) is VERY common and upsets a LOT of tourists.

Occasionally the robber is nervous and shoots somebody with his illegal
gun... but even if your english isn't good somebody not in uniform
holding a gun on you generally means "give me your money" in any language.

I generally say if the people around you look like you you're probably OK.

but if you're the type that doesn't back down stop by a gun shop and
pickup a nice lockblade knife, become familiar with it, and drop it in
your pocket... I've found that robbers prefer unarmed victims.