Old January 7th, 2011, 11:46 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

Default shore excursions - how to set up before a Princess cruise?

On 1/7/2011 12:18 PM, Ohioguy wrote:
So you didn't do the pre-cruise check-in so you will be able to have

an easy time getting checked in when you get to the pier??? Did you
read the materials you got with the cruise documents?

I never received any cruise documents, other than the eboarding pass &
itinerary I printed out 7 weeks ago, when I purchased the tickets. It
just says check in 2-9 PM, and nothing about checking in ahead of time.
I did print out the luggage tags.

Strangely, while the Princess website doesn't seem to list prices, or
allow me to book a shore excursion, this website seems to have prices
and such listed:

http://www.shoreexcursionsgroup.com/...s=7&Click=1149

Are these pretty typical? Since the cruise website doesn't allow me to
book anything, I was leaning towards booking one of these through the
website.

I would be very surprised if the Princess site would not have allowed
you to book the excursions once you logged into their site with your
booking info (after all, they want to make it easy for people to book
these as early as possible). At that point it would have shown you the
prices. Presumably where you are looking on their site now is where
people who are not logged into their reservation go, and Princess
doesn't want the public seeing how high the prices are before they book
a cruise (or just on principle).

I would not blindly book an excursion through a 3rd party. What I've
done in the past is read reviews someplace like Cruise Critic (or my
travel agent recommended someplace, although I did not book with them).
With your luck you'll end up on a tour that doesn't get back in time and
you'll miss your cruise ship. At least if you go with the cruise line's
excursion they guarantee that they will hold the ship for you if you get
back late.

Bill