Old June 11th, 2008, 03:04 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

Default Carnival Freedom Europe 2009 canceled

"Bill" wrote in message
Dillon Pyron wrote:

Bill C wrote:

just did a check on kayak.com for airfare and airfare to Rome is $1200
pp from Philadelphia. I think this must have had quite a bit to do with
the decision.

Bill

Last year, Med cruising was appealing to US travelers because the
dollar sucked and cruises were priced in dollars. This year, the
dollar still sucks, cruises are still priced in dollars and oil is
priced in dollars. The only problem is the first drives the other
two.

I don't understand your logic. I think it's the cost of airfare
to Europe (due mainly to the price of oil), as the other Bill
stated.

Bill

Or it may be something more simple. Perhaps the Carnival clientele is not
that interested in Europe. Maybe Carnival misjudged the interest. A few
years ago Carnival seemed all excited about getting access to Bermuda... but
they seemed to have abandoned Bermuda without as much as a whimper.

I don't see Celebrity, Princess, Cunard, Costa, Regent, Silversea or HAL
pulling ships back from Europe.

We just got one way air from NYC to London through Cunard for $500. That
doesn't seem too bad.

--Tom