Old June 7th, 2014, 11:07 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT[_10_]

Default US airports: 'menacing, cramped and devoid of humanity'

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 6 Jun 2014 15:10:28 +0000 (UTC), Erilar

wrote:

"JohnT" wrote:
"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 4 Jun 2014 20:48:57 +0000 (UTC), Erilar

wrote:

Dan Leifker wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...-humanity.html

Depends on the airport, but in general I agree with this article.

Not all U.S. airports are wastelands. Portland (Oregon) has one of
the
nicest airports I've ever visited, and San Francisco's airport is
going
through a very slow remodeling that may be a sign of things to come
in
21st-century U.S. airports. The new Terminal 2 at San Francisco
(domestic travel only, sadly) is spectacular, with lots of
restaurants,
work desks, shops, and seating galore.

But the article is spot on with respect to passport control at U.S.
airports, which approaches something from Dante's Inferno. When I
fly
into Frankfurt or Munich, I spend maybe 5 minutes in the
Passkontrolle
line. When I return to the U.S., I deplane and literally run as fast
as
I can to get to U.S. passport control before the lines start to mass.

Thanks for link to article.

I find it harder by far to get back into the US at O'Hare than into
any
other country

Even France?

I think that you and I have convinced her of the error of her ways and
she is now a Francophile.

I no longer have a problem with French airports, as I don't have any
interest in visiting France again.

Your loss.

We failed, John.

She obviously doesn't have our level of sophistication! She wasn't even
convinced by my revelation a few months back that there is a McDonalds at
CDG. And it has free wifi for her Mediaeval iPad. I think that really she
should be categorised in the same way as Cathy and Bill.

As you say, we failed.

--
JohnT