Old June 7th, 2014, 11:15 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT[_10_]

Default US airports: 'menacing, cramped and devoid of humanity'

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 07 Jun 2014 06:25:42 +0100, Mike O'Sullivan
wrote:

On 06/06/2014 09:56, Martin wrote:

It varies at both ends from trip to trip. In UK they are looking for and
catching illegal immigrants with forged/stolen passports; and for
drugs. The
Dutch don't have a problem because their land borders are open to
everybody, and
are exporters of drugs. We've never had a problem or delays entering
via
Newcastle.

Flying back from Amsterdam Schipol to Gatwick I remember they used a
friendly sniffer dog. he just made a walk past of the line of entering
passengers. Didn't cause a delay.

Far too friendly, how did it check that passports weren't forged? :-)

I have travelled into Newcastle airport many times, connecting at Schiphol,
and I know that the security at the arrival airport isn't all visible. All
luggage is scanned before being placed on the delivery carousel and passport
examination nowadays is quite rigorous. Passengers originating in Amsterdam
tend to get more attention from the UK Border Agency than do transfer
passengers.
--
JohnT