Old December 29th, 2010, 05:41 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ari Silverstein, C.T.A.

Default deducting cost of cruise for tax purposes?

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 12:19:01 -0500, Ohioguy wrote:

10 full days left and counting until I leave for my first cruise -
Caribbean Princess for a full week out of San Juan.

As an afterthought, I found myself wondering if anyone has ever
successfully deducted the cost of taking a cruise on their income taxes?
I've heard that some people do things like that - take a vacation, and
figure out a way to deduct the cost of the trip from their annual
income, or something like that. I've never tried, so it is almost a
foreign concept to me.

The only reason I ask is that I do freelance writing, and my editor
just asked me to do a couple of stories with a short deadline. (for a
magazine) It looks like I may end up doing the bulk of the writing on
the cruise - when I can finally get some time away from changing
diapers, and taking care of kids.

Is that sort of thing enough - having an article, and proof of
payment, along with a deadline that is shortly after the cruise date?

If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears!

Sure...if you want to flag an audit.
--
Ari Silverstein, C.T.A; C.T.A.S, FREE Cruise Travel Advisory Services
I never have nor ever will solicit or accept a booking.