Old December 29th, 2010, 07:51 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

Default deducting cost of cruise for tax purposes?

Ohioguy wrote:
10 full days left and counting until I leave for my first cruise -
Caribbean Princess for a full week out of San Juan.

As an afterthought, I found myself wondering if anyone has ever
successfully deducted the cost of taking a cruise on their income taxes?
I've heard that some people do things like that - take a vacation, and
figure out a way to deduct the cost of the trip from their annual income,
or something like that. I've never tried, so it is almost a foreign concept to me.

The only reason I ask is that I do freelance writing, and my editor
just asked me to do a couple of stories with a short deadline. (for a
magazine) It looks like I may end up doing the bulk of the writing on
the cruise - when I can finally get some time away from changing diapers,
and taking care of kids.

Is that sort of thing enough - having an article, and proof of payment,
along with a deadline that is shortly after the cruise date?

If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears!

I would almost think you are trolling with this question. In case you are
not I have an answer that might be the truth or might be a joke on my part.
You can decide truth or fiction.

Here is my answer which is based on no question ever being asked the first
time, having seen it elsewhere, not on checking with the IRS.

You can might be able to make a deduction with supporting documentation if
the cruise is on a US registered ship and all the ports are US registered.
Otherwise you can't. And since Caribbean Princess is not US registered and
goes to foreign ports you can not.

--
Charles