Amalfi Coast region

Old February 14th, 2009, 07:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Steve Cain

Default Amalfi Coast region

"poldy" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Ken Blake wrote:

I like this one:

www.aiano.net

It's in the center of the island and looks to have spectacular views,
although it's not so close to the center of Capri town.

Sorry, I know nothing about it, and don't know where it's located. I
couldn't get their web site either.

It's www.aiano.it. Also a page on it on capri.com.

I've been reading the back and forth and since I've been there and done that
I will offer up a suggestion. I used the following link for one week in
Positano using the boats and SITA to get around. NO PROBLEMS. I can also
attest that the photo gallery displayed doesn't do justice to the villa.
Good luck, Steve
http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/Ita....htm#unitrates

Old February 14th, 2009, 07:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 18:01:22 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 09:53:23 -0700, Ken Blake
wrote:

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 07:43:18 -0800, poldy wrote:

In article ,
Ken Blake wrote:

I like this one:

www.aiano.net

It's in the center of the island and looks to have spectacular views,
although it's not so close to the center of Capri town.

Sorry, I know nothing about it, and don't know where it's located. I
couldn't get their web site either.

It's www.aiano.it. Also a page on it on capri.com.

It looks nice enough and the rates aren't bad. I'm not crazy about the
location (my guess is that it's about a 15 minute walk to the central
piazza of Capri), but it's *much* better than either Anacapri or
Marina Grande.

It gets 5/5 in Trip Advisor reviews here
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Search?q=...&sub-search=Go

Thanks very much. Yes, it sounds extremely nice. And the walk into
town is apparently a little better than I estimated, only about ten
minutes; not too bad.

I think I'll probably consider it myself the next time I go to Capri.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Old February 14th, 2009, 11:03 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Poetic Justice

poldy wrote;
Are the limited-access areas worth it for a
first-time visitor? Or does it make more
sense to go to the more well-known
areas?

It's your call but it's fairly easy, just plan to be in that area when
your appointment time is, then just walk in and visit.

My choice in your case might be the 'Casa del Menandro', centrally
located and alot of sites in that general area. So you're not really
going out of your way or backtracking.

Go to
www.stoa.org/projects/ph/houselist.html
The 'Discussion of Rooms' for any of the sites using the archaeological
finds often puts a human element into the site.
Regards, Walter

...And Paradise Was Lost...like teardrops in the rain...

Old February 15th, 2009, 10:22 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Carole Allen[_1_]

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 20:56:32 -0800, poldy wrote:

In article ,
(Carole Allen) wrote:

Just up the hill from Sorrento (about an easy 10 min walk from town)
is the Hotel Desiree...very nice, on the cliff, views of the water.
Staff extremely friendly and helpful. Tripadvisor still shows
positive reviews since my last trip there.

I'd only been looking at the hotels on Venere's Centro Storico section,
with the assumption that all the transport hubs were all there, the SITA
bus to Positano, Amalfi, the Circumvesuviana, the ferries and hydrofoils.

I'll check it out though.

It is a short pleasant walk. I had a bag that converted to a back
pack on my last trip (no roller bag), and had no trouble walking up
the hill to the hotel with it, and I was in my late 50s at the time.

There is a local bus you can take down the coast to Amalfi as a day
trip. I wouldn't try the drive - you'll miss all the scenery!
Sorrento is a good base for Naples, Pompeii, etc.

Do you mean the SITA? That's what I planned on. I considered the drive
for a second. Then saw videos and accounts about blind turns with
narrow roads where only one car could pass at a time.

Yes, the SITA. IIRC correctly we actually caught it at the top of the
hill right near the hotel.

Old February 16th, 2009, 12:11 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge13[_2_]

martin just had to butt into this one !
A normal thread up to now...

"Martin" a écrit dans le message de
On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 04:01:14 -0800 (PST), Surreyman

wrote:

On 14 Feb, 05:03, poldy wrote:
In article ,
(Poetic Justice) wrote:

You might consider doing this for your Pompeii visit;

Go tohttp://tinyurl.com/dloxoqand under 'Eventi a Pompei' there are 5
limited access sites that you can reserve tickets for at Pompeii.

The site is in Italian but I have managed to book tickets there (I
don't read Italian) a few times.

Google the Italian names of the sites and it will also bring up pages
in English with info on those sites and then just choose which site
interests you.

I give directions and info on this post which might be helpful with
the
train, Circumvesuviana, historical sites, museum, etc in that area
(Naples-Pompeii).
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34665492

Are the limited-access areas worth it for a first-time visitor? Or does
it make more sense to go to the more well-known areas?

Yes I was planning to take the Circumvesuviana to Sorrento.

Hopefully not too tricky to find the correct train (looks like some go
to Salerno or is that the regular train?) or the correct stop at the
station in Sorrento.- Hide quoted text -

Knowing this area I'm rather black & white on the issues.
Capri would be a terrible centre. Apart from the logistics of getting
to the mainland and back each time, I usually advise even first-timers
not to bother with even a day visit.

Especially if like me the last ferry of the day to the mainland is the one
you
just arrived on.

Of course it has 'prettiness',
but none approaching other nearby mainland scenery, and it has become
a tourist-ridden monstrosity.

I would always advise central Sorrento as a centre for the entire
area. Very good hotels there and far more interesting in the evenings
that being stuck out in some outlying hotel.

One of the hotels on the top of the cliffs rather than inland.
--

Martin