The mystery of Ireland's worst driver

Old February 20th, 2009, 10:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Default The mystery of Ireland's worst driver

tim..... wrote:

"Alan S" wrote in message

[]
Although, in hindsight, the only place in Europe I saw worse
drivers than the Irish was in Poland, or near Poland from
cars with Polish plates.

You obviously ain't been to Croatia on a weekend (they drive a bit better on
weekdays presumably because the traffic police work those days).

We have, but we avoid roads whenever possible.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old February 21st, 2009, 07:17 AM posted to rec.sport.rugby.union,rec.travel.europe
Lord Truscott of Brownenvelope

On Feb 20, 11:03*pm, "tim....." wrote:
"Lord Truscott of Brownenvelope" wrote in ....
On Feb 20, 10:35 pm, "tim....." wrote:

"Alan S" wrote in message

.. .

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 10:33:13 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Feb 20, 11:46 am, wrote:
On 20 Feb, 09:29, Lord Taylor of Blackburn
wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/n...899171.stm?lss

The mystery of Ireland's worst driver

Polish driving licence (generic)

Poles are Ireland's largest immigrant population
Details of how police in the Irish Republic finally caught up with
the
country's most reckless driver have emerged, the Irish Times
reports.

He had been wanted from counties Cork to Cavan after racking up
scores
of speeding tickets and parking fines.

However, each time the serial offender was stopped he managed to
evade
justice by giving a different address.

But then his cover was blown.

It was discovered that the man every member of the Irish police's
rank
and file had been looking for - a Mr Prawo Jazdy - wasn't exactly
the
sort of prized villain whose apprehension leads to an officer
winning
an award.

In fact he wasn't even human.

"Prawo Jazdy is actually the Polish for driving licence and not the
first and surname on the licence," read a letter from June 2007 from
an officer working within the Garda's traffic division.

Map showing Poland

"Having noticed this, I decided to check and see how many times
officers have made this mistake.

"It is quite embarrassing to see that the system has created Prawo
Jazdy as a person with over 50 identities."

The officer added that the "mistake" needed to be rectified
immediately and asked that a memo be circulated throughout the
force.

In a bid to avoid similar mistakes being made in future relevant
guidelines were also amended.

And if nothing else is learnt from this driving-related debacle,
Irish
police officers should now know at least two words of Polish.

As for the seemingly elusive Mr Prawo Jazdy, he has presumably
become
a cult hero among Ireland's largest immigrant population.

And this is on topic how?- Hide quoted text -

Don't care. Made me laugh.

Me too:-)

Those Prawo Jazdy users may be part of the reason why my
Europcar rental rate of ¤108 one way for a week
Dublin to Shannon tripled to ¤323 when insurance was added.

Which is relevant to rte.

Or it may just be the permanent L plate drivers there who
never get a full licence. Or simply bad drivers.
http://archives.tcm.ie/breakingnews/...tory273556.asp

Although, in hindsight, the only place in Europe I saw worse
drivers than the Irish was in Poland, or near Poland from
cars with Polish plates.

You obviously ain't been to Croatia on a weekend (they drive a bit better
on
weekdays presumably because the traffic police work those days).

Greece was pretty hairy too, the lollipops with the numbers on, might as
well not have been there.

tim

take a bus in Pakistan.....quite an adrenalin buzz

I know most of the population has moved to Europe but I didn't think they'd
moved the border as well

tim

you've never been to Slough ?
Old February 21st, 2009, 05:03 PM posted to rec.sport.rugby.union,rec.travel.europe
Mike Lane

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 22:28:17 +0000, Alan S wrote
(in article ):

I found Greece quite OK, once I got used to the single lane
tollways using the wide shoulders as "move over when the guy
behind wants to scream past" lanes.

It was a bit disconcerting at times when meeting oncoming
traffic two abreast in a single lane at over 1300km/hr.

The longest stretch of road like that, that I remember on the mainland is the
so-called motorway along the north coast of the Peloponnese from Patras to
Corinth which I've driven along once. I don't remember it being as dangerous
as you describe though - just a few biggish trucks from time to time which
usually pulled over accomodatingly to let me overtake.

I imagine it depends on what day of the week and time you do it though. I
understand that Athenians like to build week-end houses along that part of
the coast and presumably tear out from Athens on a Friday afternoon and back
again on Monday morning!

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Old February 21st, 2009, 05:20 PM posted to rec.sport.rugby.union,rec.travel.europe
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 09:28:17 +1100, Alan S wrote:

I found Greece quite OK, once I got used to the single lane
tollways using the wide shoulders as "move over when the guy
behind wants to scream past" lanes.

It was a bit disconcerting at times when meeting oncoming
traffic two abreast in a single lane at over 1300km/hr.

I hate it when there's oncoming traffic coming at me at over
mach 1.09. Bad enough having to get out of the way, but then there
that damn sonic boom!
Old February 21st, 2009, 10:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"Mike Lane" wrote in message
dia.com...
On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 22:28:17 +0000, Alan S wrote
(in article ):

I found Greece quite OK, once I got used to the single lane
tollways using the wide shoulders as "move over when the guy
behind wants to scream past" lanes.

It was a bit disconcerting at times when meeting oncoming
traffic two abreast in a single lane at over 1300km/hr.

The longest stretch of road like that, that I remember on the mainland is
the
so-called motorway along the north coast of the Peloponnese from Patras to
Corinth which I've driven along once.

I noticed this on the Western Peloponnese from Pirgos to Patras. It wasn't
so much the pulling over for the guy behind that I minded, it was pulling
over for the guy coming the other way I objected to.

IIRC the official limit for this road was 90, with 50 through the towns, but
the minimum speed seemed to be 120 (even through the towns), even then,
almost everybody wanted to overtake me.

tim