*OLYMPIC TIMELINE* Olympic Torch

Old September 13th, 2006, 01:20 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

Default *OLYMPIC TIMELINE* Olympic Torch

China's 110m hurdles world record holder Liu Xiang and Jamaica's
100 metres world record holder Asafa Powell made the most impressive
marks on the opening day of the IAAF World Grand Prix finals.

Powell ran yet another sub 10 second race though he didn't
threaten his record of 9.77sec and Liu made a stunning return to the
international circuit after taking time off since breaking the world
mark in July in Lausanne.

Liu timed 12.93sec in the event and admitted to not feeling too
surprised at his excellent run.

"I felt really well before the race and I knew I was in really
good shape," said the 23-year-old Olympic champion.

"After my world record (12.88sec breaking Colin Jackson's 13 year
old mark of 12.91) I returned to Beijing and got a lot of rest," added
Liu.

However Liu promised more of the same at the World Cup in Athens
this weekend.

"The World Cup has been my end of season objective and that is
why I didn't give it my all," said Liu.

Unlike Liu, Powell was undecided about the World Cup.

"I feel a little tired, the season has been long but a rich one,"
said Powell, who started way back in March at the Commonwealth Games
where he won the 100m title.

"I will see whether I run in Athens next week."

Powell admitted that he had not threatened his world record
because he was nervous of false starting .

"There had already been one so I didn't want to be disqualified
for doing the second one. I am not disappointed in my time at all."

from: qingdao-olympic.org