smokers revenge

Old May 25th, 2004, 10:31 PM
Howie

Default smokers revenge

RTCReferee wrote:

Howie wrote:

It's really nice to read a post from an ex-smoker who doesn't buy into
the ridiculous hyperbole of the powerful anti-smoking lobby. You da
man, Bob.

Were you perhaps so thrilled to read his stance on smoking that you didn't
notice the following posted by Reef Fish:

Yes, as a matter of fact, I was; and I really didn't read past the "Bo
with BS" line. Now that I have read this, I don't know what to think?
Obviously, I don't endorse any association between race and body odor.
If this is what the OP was doing, then I retract my unequivocal accolade.

Howie

" Aren't you confusing BO with BS? Are you now advocating the banning

of all those races of folks who tend to have strong Body Odor compared
to folks of other races?

...all * THOSE * races have strong body odor?

(P.S. Please don't anyone bother making a joke like "I thought he meant
white...ha ha ha." I can already see it coming.)

Old May 26th, 2004, 03:22 AM
chip3130

TCS wrote in
:

No thank you. I find the smell of burning tobacco as repulsive as dog
****.

I can understand this.

Being in a bar with people smoking is as nasty as walking around with
a crowd of people and there being dog**** being stepped in.

I think you'll find that the real reason for the boring people was
that you accidentaly took a seniors cruise.

This is absolutely false. The average age based on my observations was
around 30-40 years old. Everyone on the ship stated that they were going
bankrupt due to the fact that every cruise was the same. Why is it that
Carnival is phasing out it's only non-smoking ship? They talked (the crew)
extensively about it. They even had ship presentations about it. They have
done extensive studies, and their findings were that smokers have a
compulsive habit. People with compulsive habits tend to have other
compulsive habits such as eating and drinking. In turn, people with
compulsive habits such as alcohol consumption, tend to revel more than
those who don't. I was fascinated by what I saw, as I had a large sample
size (2200 people), made up of a demographic that under almost any other
circumstance would be a very active group.

And yes, it is too bad that a disgusting habit like smoking can have such
an impact on how people enjoy themselves.

Old May 26th, 2004, 03:29 AM
chip3130

Cozit/Liz wrote in
:

Must be nice to have a choice in the matter. Some of us don't. Smoke
and me would equal a me not breathing easily fairly quickly... and I
*really* don't want to know just *how* bad that can get now...

-Liz (truly allergic to the point of it being the only thing that
induces asthma in me)

This is a good point that many who smoke fail to realize. Whereas second
hand smoke only is annoying to me, it can be very detrimental to others. It
really comes down to selfishness. I want to smoke, and I have to smoke
right here because it is my right. I don't care about the rights of others,
even if it makes that person standing over there go into an asthma attack,
and have to go to the hospital. Screw them, as I have the right to smoke.

If I smoked (and am so glad that I never started!) I would only do it
outside, and away from those who don't. Then again, I guess I care about
people other than myself...
Old May 26th, 2004, 03:33 AM
chip3130

(Asya Kamsky) wrote in
:

In article ,
chip3130 wrote:
Now don't get me wrong, I will never go on a non-smoking cruise again.
The Paradise (which is going smoking), was the most boring ship I have
ever seen. Every bar closed at 9pm, no one to be found after 10pm.
Never saw anyone in any of the nightclubs.

We sailed the Paradise January 2003 and had the opposite of your
experience. We danced till 1 or 2am every night, we ran into a
group of young guys who claimed they had spent $75 on booze on
the first day alone (and watching them drink, I don't doubt it
for a minute!), our problem (as always on Carnival ships) was
trying to decide what to do late at night as we couldn't do
everything.

--
Asya Kamsky

I talked with at least 50 bartenders and assorted help- everyone of them
said that it was normal to see not one person in any of the nightclub/bar
areas after 10pm on every cruise. Anything other than this was a shock for
them. The Paradise was costing Carnival millions in lost revenue (the only
ship to do so)- thus the change over.

Having been on numerous ships, I am used to seeing hundreds of people in
the bars and nightclubs until 4am- not one or two people (if that) like on
the Paradise. Ask around, I have seen posts from at least 20 different
people stating over the life of the non-smoking ship, they saw the exact
same. Yet I have never seen one post like this from any other ship.

There is absolutely no doubt that there is a correlation here.

Old May 26th, 2004, 04:11 AM
Reef Fish

Howie wrote in message ...
RTCReferee wrote:

Howie wrote:

It's really nice to read a post from an ex-smoker who doesn't buy into
the ridiculous hyperbole of the powerful anti-smoking lobby. You da
man, Bob.

Were you perhaps so thrilled to read his stance on smoking that you didn't
notice the following posted by Reef Fish:

Yes, as a matter of fact, I was; and I really didn't read past the "Bo
with BS" line.

That was my sarcastic remark to Cygne 2003's assertion:

Cyghe The smoker has in common with the one who doesn't wash himself
Cygne the LACK OF HYGIENE. Now the one who doesn't wash himself is,
Cygne in most of the cases, not concient that he hurts, while the
Cygne smoker knows that he hurts.

RF Aren't you confusing BO with BS?

Now that I have read this, I don't know what to think?
Obviously, I don't endorse any association between race and body odor.

The BO/race association remark was a mere personal observation, without
any racist implication nor intent. Never been accused of being a
racist in any context anywhere -- until this implicated accusation here.
My thousands of posts retrievable via groups.google would attest to
the non-racist fact!

If this is what the OP was doing, then I retract my unequivocal accolade.

Howie

Don't know what you meant by "the OP", but I don't make any post of
mine for accolade or lemonage. So it matters not what you do. Just
want to clarify the apparent libelous accusation, probably by an
anti-smoking zealot because what I posted about SMOKING.

-- Bob.

Old May 26th, 2004, 04:21 AM
Eileen Garland

chip3130 wrote:

And yes, it is too bad that a disgusting habit like smoking can have such
an impact on how people enjoy themselves.

You could be drawing the wrong conclusion here.

Eileen

Old May 26th, 2004, 04:23 AM
Eileen Garland

chip3130 wrote:

This is a good point that many who smoke fail to realize. Whereas second
hand smoke only is annoying to me, it can be very detrimental to others. It
really comes down to selfishness. I want to smoke, and I have to smoke
right here because it is my right. I don't care about the rights of others,
even if it makes that person standing over there go into an asthma attack,
and have to go to the hospital. Screw them, as I have the right to smoke.

You have the right to wear cologne, have a pet, grow green stuff and
lots of other things people to which there are plenty of allergic people.

Life is SO simple.

Eileen

Old May 26th, 2004, 05:41 AM
RTCReferee

Howie wrote:

RTCReferee wrote:

Howie wrote:

It's really nice to read a post from an ex-smoker who doesn't buy into

the ridiculous hyperbole of the powerful anti-smoking lobby. You da
man, Bob.

Were you perhaps so thrilled to read his stance on smoking that you didn't
notice the following posted by Reef Fish:

Yes, as a matter of fact, I was; and I really didn't read past the "Bo
with BS" line. Now that I have read this, I don't know what to think?
Obviously, I don't endorse any association between race and body odor.
If this is what the OP was doing, then I retract my unequivocal accolade.

Thanks, Howie. I can understand how it happened that you overlooked this. :-)

Now I'd just like to say "scram" to the scam-artist who keeps posting the
ridiculous "link" regarding places with non-smoking restaurants in every place
under the sun. (I'm pretty sure we could make up a name of a non-existent
town and the person would provide a "link" to all the restaurants there where
smoking is not permitted.)

Old May 26th, 2004, 05:43 AM
Jos Flachs

On Tue, 25 May 2004 08:33:23 -0500, TCS
wrote:

Sounds like another liberal activists. Get out the violins.

No, sounds like somebody who doesn't like foul, disgusting, cancerous air.

And you sound like a idiotic, paranoid, conservative dittohead who blames "the
liberals" for anybody who disagrees with you.

I'm just curious. To my knowledge, air treatment is pretty advanced
these days. Wouldn't it be possible to have a very good air con/
cleaner/ purifying system running in bars that would be acceptable to
most?

Old May 26th, 2004, 10:26 AM
Charles

In article , chip3130
wrote:

Having been on numerous ships, I am used to seeing hundreds of people in
the bars and nightclubs until 4am- not one or two people (if that) like on
the Paradise. Ask around, I have seen posts from at least 20 different
people stating over the life of the non-smoking ship, they saw the exact
same. Yet I have never seen one post like this from any other ship.

Sadly, I have been on "smoking allowed" ships where the bars and
nightclub were dead after 10:00 pm.

--
Charles