smokers revenge

Old May 27th, 2004, 12:20 AM
Tom & Linda

Default smokers revenge

"Eileen Garland" wrote in message

RTCReferee wrote:

I was not thinking of a non-smoker going over to the smoker's side (as

on a
Celebrity ship), but was thinking of the old scenario where smokers

could smoke
most anywhere, and would sit down next to non-smokers and not only not

move,
and not put out their cigarettes, but seemingly gleefully would blow

smoke just
to irritate those around them.

I've never waved my arms around and made a fuss, but I do recall the

awful days
when smoke was everywhere. Children, such as myself, grew up with that

around
us. I'm glad kids (and adults) today don't have to tolerate that in
California, at least.

Interesting. I was always a polite smoker in the old days, often asking
people if it bothered them before they lit up.

I don't do that much any more.

Why?

--Tom

Eileen

Old May 27th, 2004, 12:22 AM
Tom & Linda

"Eileen Garland" wrote in message

RTCReferee wrote:

Do you actually consider someone wrinkling their nose at you, and even

waving
their hands about, to be on a par with blowing smoke in their vicinity?

I do, though I realize you were asking Sunny, not me. I consider it
very rude, and I have very little belief that second-hand smoke harms
anyone.

You mean like people with allergies and asthma? It doens't harm them?

--Tom

Eileen

Old May 27th, 2004, 12:25 AM
Tom & Linda

"Howie" wrote in message

RTCReferee wrote:
You've got to toughen up those lungs, ref. I would think that living in
one of the most polluted states in the nation, would have toughened you
up already.

You're in attack mode now, aren't you?

And you have never been in any other mode with respect to smokers. Let
me state this quite clearly. I smoke. I smoke public, where it is not
prohibited. I am not ashamed about my smoking. I do not apologize for
my smoking.

As intelligent as you are (trythinking@ifyouhaveabrain), and as educated as
you are (PhD in psych)... I would think you'd be smart enough to not smoke.

--Tom

Old May 27th, 2004, 12:27 AM
Tom & Linda

"Howie" wrote in message
RTCReferee wrote:

Thanks, Howie. I can understand how it happened that you overlooked

this. :-)

For the umpteenth time, I will state that all of these smoking/no
smoking issues could be easily solved by having a variety of smoking and
no smoking ships. Hell, with just a few really nice smoking ships, non
of you who have "diminished lung capacity"

You "liked" that one.

Kewl.

--Tom

Old May 27th, 2004, 12:31 AM
Tom & Linda

"Jos Flachs" wrote in message
On Tue, 25 May 2004 08:33:23 -0500, TCS
wrote:

Sounds like another liberal activists. Get out the violins.

No, sounds like somebody who doesn't like foul, disgusting, cancerous

air.

And you sound like a idiotic, paranoid, conservative dittohead who blames

"the
liberals" for anybody who disagrees with you.

I'm just curious. To my knowledge, air treatment is pretty advanced
these days. Wouldn't it be possible to have a very good air con/
cleaner/ purifying system running in bars that would be acceptable to
most?

Yeah. It's possible. But they'd have to spend the $$$$ to do it. And the
air movement would be pretty swift... (remember the old Marilyn Monroe
photo?).

It would require a lot of air changes, so it would take a lot of energy to
do it.

--Tom

Old May 27th, 2004, 12:42 AM
Howie

Tom & Linda wrote:

I'm just curious. To my knowledge, air treatment is pretty advanced
these days. Wouldn't it be possible to have a very good air con/
cleaner/ purifying system running in bars that would be acceptable to
most?

Yeah. It's possible. But they'd have to spend the $$$$ to do it. And the
air movement would be pretty swift... (remember the old Marilyn Monroe
photo?).

It would require a lot of air changes, so it would take a lot of energy to
do it.

I'm sure everyone remembers that airplanes were among the first places
to go smoke free. I remember reading that this decision coincided with
the elimination of fresh air exchange systems on planes, which was an
attempt to cut fuel costs. So, although we now all ride in smoke free
planes, we have the pleasure of breathing stale, germ infested air when
we travel.

Howie

Old May 27th, 2004, 12:46 AM
Howie

Charles wrote:

In article , RTCReferee
wrote:

Smokers can smoke to their heart's content in their room and
non-smokers are free of it.

Free of the smoke if the ventilation system is good. But even in
separate rooms the ventilation may be shared.

But another problem with smoking in "their" rooms. While I was on my
cruise there was a fire in at our condominium. Thirty-nine units were
damgaged. Many still have not been able to move back in. Two units were
destroyed. Luckily no one was injured do to quick action. The cause of
the fire........smoking in bed.

Yes, Charles. Why don't we also eliminate all cooking indoors, as it is
a major source of house fires.

Howie

Old May 27th, 2004, 12:47 AM
Tom & Linda

"Howie" wrote in message

Tom & Linda wrote:

[...]

Ain't economics great?

--Tom

Old May 27th, 2004, 12:53 AM
Eileen Garland

Tom & Linda wrote:

Interesting. I was always a polite smoker in the old days, often asking
people if it bothered them before they lit up.

Oops, I meant before _I_ lit up.

I don't do that much any more.

Why?

Because people are so rude, and I feel extremely beleagured. I have now
become a militant smoker.

Actually, though, I have to confess that just this weekend I asked the
people next to me in an outdoor cafe if it was okay, because the tables
were right on top of one another. I did this twice, and in both cases
my neighbors said it was and thanked me for asking, thereby reinforcing
my considerate behavior.

Eileen

Old May 27th, 2004, 12:53 AM
Howie

Tom & Linda wrote:

"Howie" wrote in message

RTCReferee wrote:

You've got to toughen up those lungs, ref. I would think that living in
one of the most polluted states in the nation, would have toughened you
up already.

You're in attack mode now, aren't you?

And you have never been in any other mode with respect to smokers. Let
me state this quite clearly. I smoke. I smoke public, where it is not
prohibited. I am not ashamed about my smoking. I do not apologize for
my smoking.

As intelligent as you are (trythinking@ifyouhaveabrain), and as educated as
you are (PhD in psych)... I would think you'd be smart enough to not smoke.

--Tom

Tom,

Believe it or not, beling intelligent and smoking are not mutually
exclusive. I am smart enough not to compartmentalzie my whole world
into black and white, yes and no, healthy and unhealthy, etc. I am a
cognitively complex guy. I enjoy my smoking addiction. Life is short
when you're having fun, and I hell bent on having all the fun I can
grab, buddy.

Howie