Bariloche or Iguazu Falls?

Old June 29th, 2004, 01:38 AM

Default Bariloche or Iguazu Falls?

Hi,

I'm going to Buenos Aires this weekend for 6 days. Will have the time
to do one trip - was hoping for skiing in Bariloche, but heard there
is no snow there now.

So, if you were traveling alone (as I am), would you recommend a trip
to Iguazu or to Bariloche? I heard Bariloche is nice to visit even
without the skiing. Thanks for any last minute advice. First trip to
South America, and I'm excited.

Old June 29th, 2004, 01:47 AM
Kerry Langley

Spent 5 weeks in Argentina in April. Didn't get to Bariloche ( no snow anyway)
Did see Iguazu-absolutely incredible. if you fly you can do it in 2
days. Well worth it-----Kerry

Old June 29th, 2004, 04:14 AM
Nicky

Hi StarryNight,
The snow arrived to Bariloche this week. So you can ski in Bariloche
(Cerro Catedral), or visit Iguazu Falls and its selvatic zone.
For information about snow in ski centers in Internet,
http://www.nieveallimite.com.ar/estado.htm has English version avalaible.

http://www.turismo.gov.ar/ is the official site for tourists (English
too).

In Buenos Aires you will enjoy our City (too much to see ...).
Have a good trip. Welcome to Argentina.

Nick (San Andrés)

t...

Old June 29th, 2004, 11:59 AM
John Cisarik

wrote in message
Hi,

I'm going to Buenos Aires this weekend for 6 days. Will have the time
to do one trip - was hoping for skiing in Bariloche, but heard there
is no snow there now.

So, if you were traveling alone (as I am), would you recommend a trip
to Iguazu or to Bariloche? I heard Bariloche is nice to visit even
without the skiing. Thanks for any last minute advice. First trip to
South America, and I'm excited.

I just heard today (June 29) that there IS snow in Bariloche; that it has
been snowing for the past few days. I don't know if my information is
accurate.

Yes, Bariloche is beautiful whether or not you ski; it's in a setting of
forests, lakes, and snow-capped mountains. But it's also very reminiscent of
Switzerland or other alpine locations, so if you've been to that part of
Europe, you might want to skip Bariloche on this trip.

Iguazú is well worth a visit, and if you go, see the falls from both sides
of the border. I say that you SEE them better from Brazil, where you have a
fantastic, panoramic view of them (most of the falls are on the Argentine
side), but that you FEEL them better from Argentina, where you are almost
within touching distance of some of them.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your trip. It's a fantastic country.

Old June 29th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Graham Harrison

I haven't been to Bariloche but I would second everyones comments that
Iguassu is well worth seeing. The Argentine side is about seeing the water
close up, the Brazilian side is more about the Panorama until you get to the
lift tower where you really get the full force of the water.

--
*****
*****The "return to" address embedded in this mail is wrong as an antispam

Old June 30th, 2004, 02:16 AM

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 10:59:59 GMT, "John Cisarik"
wrote:

I just heard today (June 29) that there IS snow in Bariloche; that it has
been snowing for the past few days. I don't know if my information is
accurate.

Yes, Bariloche is beautiful whether or not you ski; it's in a setting of
forests, lakes, and snow-capped mountains. But it's also very reminiscent of
Switzerland or other alpine locations, so if you've been to that part of
Europe, you might want to skip Bariloche on this trip.

Iguazú is well worth a visit, and if you go, see the falls from both sides
of the border. I say that you SEE them better from Brazil, where you have a
fantastic, panoramic view of them (most of the falls are on the Argentine
side), but that you FEEL them better from Argentina, where you are almost
within touching distance of some of them.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your trip. It's a fantastic country.

Thanks for the info - it does appear that they have 1 foot of snow on
the ski mountain near Bariloche (Cerro something). Not sure if that's
enough - maybe with snowmaking. I did hear snow conditions can change
quick there.

I did read that there is white water rafting there - do you know if
that's possible in the winter? Another interesting thing might be
horseback riding through the mountains - although I remember it being
a little uncomfortable when I tried years ago.

Thanks again.
Old June 30th, 2004, 02:17 AM

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:46:24 +0000 (UTC), "Graham Harrison"
wrote:

I haven't been to Bariloche but I would second everyones comments that
Iguassu is well worth seeing. The Argentine side is about seeing the water
close up, the Brazilian side is more about the Panorama until you get to the
lift tower where you really get the full force of the water.

I heard that you need a VISA for the Brazil side - not sure how to get
one at all - let alone on short notice (3 days)?
Old June 30th, 2004, 12:05 PM
John Cisarik

wrote:

[...]

It's Cerro Catedral, probably the main slope there, which has a cable car to
take you to the top, from which there is a great view of the mountains and
lake Nahuel Huapi.

Sorry, I don't know about rafting, nor about horseback riding.

Enjoy your trip!