What is the best country to visit in Europe?

Old April 10th, 2004, 02:18 PM
SMD

Default What is the best country to visit in Europe?

I'm way more educated than a neonazi ****tard like you and I
know WHEN to use "proper" English and when to use a language
more appropriate for usenet.

If you knwo so much about proper English--which does not call for
inverted commas--then outline the difference between the following
words:

While and whilst
Among and amongst
Compared to and compared with (Admittedly I already gave that away)
Owing to and due to

That should be enough to get you started.
Old April 10th, 2004, 02:52 PM
Olivers

Simon Elliott muttered....

Olivers writes
Big H got the contracts
not simply because there were no other proposers/bidders, but because no
other companies would have been able to provide the services (it being
somewhat unlikely that Schlumberger was going to win a contract).

Why is that?

The roars from Congress over the award of a contract to a firm with a large
French family listed on the owners' sheet...

TMO
Old April 10th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Olivers

Paolo Pizzi muttered....

Olivers wrote:

Let's see....In the US we're paying less for gas than we did in the
early 50s, and less for gas than we did in the early 80s "panic
period".

How many cars were in circulation in the 1950's? IDIOT!!!

.....and just how does the number of cars on the road relate to the price of
gas. In a logical sense, it ought to mean lower prices...less demand with
supply in theory greater than demand. Unfortunately, the number of cars is
not a "driver" of gasoline prices. Even the number of trucks, may times
more now, hasn't changed the cost comparison of diesel fuel, and there was
a essentially no demand other than military for Jet A/JP4/JP5 (essentially
aviation kerosene) and its other counterparts for turbines back then.

In the early 80s, there were certainly about as many cars on the road as
today.

Huge profits for the oil companies?

Suuuure, no huge profits, they're charitable businesses...

Companies make profits if they are well run. Large companies get that way
making large profits. On a margin of sales basis oil compmaies are less
profitable than several other types of businesses. ExxonMobil is probably
still the world's largest companies and among the most profitable, but you
and I can share in those profits. If oil companies are so profitable, buy
shares in several. I do have some stock in a minor producing venture which
I'll be glad to sell to you at far below par value. No commission,
unlisted on any exchange, a real bargain, except for the reality that it
used up all its capital (from investors), didn't hit a producing well, and
exists as a file drawer in an accountant's office, a net worth of less than
$100,000 left out of several hundred million (and not a profitable day in
its history), a stock which traded at a couple of hundred dollars a share,
now nothing bid and lots available.

I can only presume that your (lack of) political knowledge and
rigidly skewed political philosophy are directly related to the
absence of even the slightest awareness of how the oil and gas
business - or any business for that matter - works. Perhaps you
might lay aside a music score for a few moments, disencumber yourself
from the tender embraces of your bride, and read a book or two.
Amazingly, your capacity to comprehend the world about you might rise
above its current pre-kindergarden level...

Amazingly the only argument you have is an ad hominem...

For you whose every post is permeated with waspish, acerbic ad hominem is
the grandest example of "pot/kettle/black" I've seen in a while. Your
paranoia (or your reaction to how folks treat you on the street) shows
through (glaringly).

Did your Mom have to tie a porkchop bone around your neck before the
neighborhood dogs would play with you? Treated badly by the world? Bitter
at your lot? Suspenders to short for a hangman's knot?

That's the general tone and tenor of your whinging and whining...

TMO
Old April 10th, 2004, 03:23 PM
SMD

"Paolo Pizzi" wrote in message .com...
SMD wrote:

Someone must care about them, given the quality.

Mostly foreigners, mostly from Asia (China, Korea, Japan.)

Hypocrite! Your suggestion is racist towards people from those
nations: 'Only they would want an American schooling'.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ha
You are a complete MORON and a total ignorant of the
classical music scene. It's mostly people from those countries
(educate yourself, IDIOT and you'll find out I'm telling the
truth) because China and Korea have few good music schools
and most Japanese musicians don't feel "complete" if they
haven't had a complete "bath" in the western culture.

I was commenting on your tone--the ininuation in yoyur message was the
Europeans would avoid US schools whilst Asians would happily go.

Your use elsewhere of race to judge American orchestras--a jusgement
that was itself racist--is obviously hypocritical: what does it matter
if people come from a different country? Why should we judge them
differently as a consequence?

You have yet to define 'Classical hit parade' and 'Bubba's oil
favourites'.

It is unseemly to hurl insults. I am reminded of Germanicus and Piso.
Old April 10th, 2004, 03:32 PM
Peter A. Stavrakoglou

"SMD" wrote in message
om...
"Paolo Pizzi" wrote in message

.com...
SMD wrote:

And in the process Europeans have created societies (some

European
countries) that have created a higher standard of living than
anywhere else in the world. Look at the Human Development Index

list
and European countries make up 15 or so of the top 20

countries.

BUT

The US comes near top of the list

Because the US is really TWO countries, one of rich white idiots
who exploit a much larger section of the population. It's no
coincidence that the US is a champion of inequality...

Which is why many people from all sorts of ethnic origin do well in

the US.

There is one flaw in all of your replies to Paolo - you are trying to
use logic with a person devoid of logic. As most of his posts
indicate, he has a heart full of hatred for anyone, particularly
Americans, who have different views than he does. We're all fascists
and racists in his valueless opinion. It is amusing to read through
his posts where one can quickly see that he is nothing more than a
crass unintelligent person who managed to learn how to use a computer.
What is even more amusing, sad even, is that he is an immigrant living
in the US who shares in the prosperity that this country offers - and
is unmatched by any other - yet he has such hatred for this nation.
He should simply leave and go back to his beloved Italy.

Old April 10th, 2004, 04:09 PM
Simon Elliott

Olivers writes
Olivers writes
Big H got the contracts
not simply because there were no other proposers/bidders, but because no
other companies would have been able to provide the services (it being
somewhat unlikely that Schlumberger was going to win a contract).

The roars from Congress over the award of a contract to a firm with a large
French family listed on the owners' sheet...

I wonder what percentage of the company is still owned by the
descendants of the brothers.

I found this article by William Kristol and Robert Kagan quite
interesting:

http://www.newamericancentury.org/iraq-20031211.htm
--
Simon Elliott
http://www.ctsn.co.uk/

Old April 10th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Simon Elliott

Vitaly Shmatikov writes
Unfortunately, he would not have been able to go to war on the basis
of *that* case. As I said many times, removal of Saddam is a good
consequence of a bad decision. Some people care about decisions,
I care about consequences.

Unfortunately in this case the consequences are tainted by the decision
making process that led up to them.

If the welfare of the people of Iraq had been a factor, there would have
been much better planning for the aftermath of the war, and Iraq
wouldn't be in quite such a mess now.
--
Simon Elliott
http://www.ctsn.co.uk/

Old April 10th, 2004, 04:26 PM
Paolo Pizzi

SMD wrote:

You're pathetic, you know that, don't you? (Come one, accuse
99% of American of not being able to write in English because
they use elisions...)

Indeed. Most Americans cannot write either. It jsut seems
ironic that you write in such a way and consider yourself
educated.

You're really out of arguments, aren't you?

BTW, have some balls and sign your ludicrous opinions with
your real name. That's what people in Academia do. If I were
you, I'd probably consider that proof of your lack of education.

Old April 10th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Paolo Pizzi

SMD wrote:

All I advocate is people's freedom to do as they please--within
reason--

And obviously YOU decide what's "reasonable" and what's not...

with as little government intervention as possible.

Yes, you have already expressed your wish for the human kind
to be ruled by the law of the jungle. **** the weak and the poor,
that's the motto of scumbags like you, except of course in case
YOU become weak or poor...

your views seem nearer to Nazi ones in that you will not allow
people of other political views to have their say.

??? Show me exactly where I EVER said anything like that...

Just because someone holds right wing views it does not make
them a Nazi.

I wonder who created fascism and nazism and, most importantly,
who backed them up financially... Study history and you'll get
your answer.

My grandfather was almost killed in a Nazi concentration camp
and I am deeply hurt by your likening me to a neonazi.

You have ZERO compassion and you deserve zero respect.
But I see that like all neofascists, you are actually seeking the
kind of compassion you're not willing to concede to the
disadvantaged.

You may also care to note that it is higly ungentlemanly to laugh at
someone's views or to refer to them in the third person in a
discussion to which they are party.

You may also care to not that it is highly ungentlemanly to post
under a handle and fail to put your real name after your very
despicable opinions. Even more so when it comes from someone
who I'm sure often speaks about "accountability"...

On the academic point, I simply suggest that from my own experience,
from conferences I have attended, from visiting chairs I have had
(VPI, Oxford, Edinburgh, Eurasia Foundation, CEU, the list continues),
there seems to be a sizeable group of intelligent people who agree
with Bush. Likewise, others will disagree. To suggest that everyone
agrees with you in these circles is simply untrue.

I suggested that MOST people in Academia are Liberal, that's what
compassionate and intelligent people ought to be. Exceptional minds
like Einstein, Sagan and Hawking certainly cannot be neofascists like
you. It takes COMPASSION to understand the universe, not your
brand of religious fanaticism.

Since when was Hayek a Nazi?

Read and learn:

http://members.tripod.com/~american_...c/vonhayek.htm

The man wrote about freedom and liberty,
two principles distinctly lacking from said regieme.

Yeah, and Timothy McVeigh said he was no racist, just a
"freedom-loving" patriot...

I have said this before, and doubtless will again: please stop using
your wretched elipisi. If you insist upon writing, do so in English.

I didn't know that "regieme" and "elipisi" were English words...

Also please use savoury language: there is no need to be obscene
and refer to one's 'ass'.

I use whatever language I chose to use and frankly couldn't care less
about what a cowardly fascist who doesn't even have the guts to sign
with his real name says.