Flight to Johannesburg

Old January 13th, 2006, 04:38 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air

Default Flight to Johannesburg

I have to go to Joburg from LHR on business the week after next, in economy
unfortunately. As I see it I have the choice of South African,Virgin, and
BA. All are offering roughly the same price.

Which one should I choose?

Any advice gratefully received.

--
Steve

Remove "nospam" from email address to reply to me personally

Old January 13th, 2006, 05:04 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air

In message , at 15:38:34 on Fri, 13 Jan
2006, Steve Rainbird remarked:
I have to go to Joburg from LHR on business the week after next, in economy
unfortunately. As I see it I have the choice of South African,Virgin, and
BA. All are offering roughly the same price.

What a co-incidence! In the circumstances, and if the timings were OK,
I'd tend to choose Virgin; but if you collect BA FF miles that might
swing the decision.
--
Roland Perry
Old January 13th, 2006, 05:09 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air

"Steve Rainbird" wrote in message
I have to go to Joburg from LHR on business the week after next, in

economy
unfortunately. As I see it I have the choice of South African,Virgin, and
BA. All are offering roughly the same price.

Which one should I choose?

Any advice gratefully received.

Which FF miles would be most useful to you ?
Do you have status with anyone - if so there should be a better chance of a
free upgrade.

BA vs VS - VS wins everytime (although a few of their planes have slightly
less legroom than BA). - Especially as the BA pilots are threatening a
strike.

Old January 13th, 2006, 05:20 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air

"Miss L. Toe" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Steve Rainbird" wrote in message
I have to go to Joburg from LHR on business the week after next, in

economy
unfortunately. As I see it I have the choice of South African,Virgin, and
BA. All are offering roughly the same price.

Which one should I choose?

Any advice gratefully received.

Which FF miles would be most useful to you ?
Do you have status with anyone - if so there should be a better chance of
free upgrade.

BA vs VS - VS wins everytime (although a few of their planes have slightly
less legroom than BA). - Especially as the BA pilots are threatening a
strike.

I have 90,000 miles and 340 tier points with BA, a few with Virgin and none
with SAA.

I doubt very much whether I will be able to book a flight that gets tier
points with BA but I guess the miles may be worthwhile.

Old January 13th, 2006, 05:27 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
.uk...
In message , at 15:38:34 on Fri, 13 Jan
2006, Steve Rainbird remarked:
I have to go to Joburg from LHR on business the week after next, in
economy
unfortunately. As I see it I have the choice of South African,Virgin, and
BA. All are offering roughly the same price.

What a co-incidence! In the circumstances, and if the timings were OK, I'd
tend to choose Virgin; but if you collect BA FF miles that might swing the
decision.
--
Roland Perry

I do tend to fly BA because of FF but thought that if Virgin was miles
better then that may be the way to go.

Old January 13th, 2006, 05:48 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air

"Steve Rainbird" wrote in message
"Miss L. Toe" wrote in message
reenews.net...

[...]

With that many tier points you must at least silver level and entitled to
use the lounges ?

Unless, you could do with a VS flight to keep the 'few' alive for another 3
years...

Old January 13th, 2006, 05:53 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air

"Miss L. Toe" wrote in message
reenews.net...
snip

With that many tier points you must at least silver level and entitled to
use the lounges ?

Unless, you could do with a VS flight to keep the 'few' alive for another
3
years...

True hadn't thought of the lounge access, I am a silver card holder.

I do have a priority pass card so the lounge access not a major issue, but
may just swing it.

Old January 13th, 2006, 05:56 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air

"Steve Rainbird" wrote in message
"Miss L. Toe" wrote in message
reenews.net...
snip

With that many tier points you must at least silver level and entitled

use the lounges ?

Unless, you could do with a VS flight to keep the 'few' alive for

another
3
years...

True hadn't thought of the lounge access, I am a silver card holder.

I do have a priority pass card so the lounge access not a major issue, but
may just swing it.

The other thing I often do if it is a close call between two carriers is
check out the movies they will be playing on board.

Old January 13th, 2006, 07:17 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air

Steve Rainbird schrieb:

I have to go to Joburg from LHR on business the week after next, in economy
unfortunately. As I see it I have the choice of South African,Virgin, and
BA. All are offering roughly the same price.

Which one should I choose?

I guess you don't want connecting flights?

Regards, ULF