Carry on's

Old February 4th, 2006, 11:53 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.air

Default Carry on's

The flight is full. Check your damn bags! Carry on's should be
limited to purses and computer bags. Your freaking underwear is not
that valuable. Check it!

So what do I hear?

In a whiny squeaking voice They always loose my bags. Bull****!!!!
It doesn't happen that often, and when it does, it's part of the game.
You'll get it shortly after.

In another whiny squeaking voice My suits get wrinkled when I check
them. So buy a damn hard case for them if they're that important.

Bottom line is that some people are too damn lazy to go to baggage
claim and get their bags. They would rather fill up the plane so some
of us have no place for our ONE carry on. So it goes under our seat,
and we sit with our knees in our chests for the entire flight.

And on top of that, boarding and unboarding would go a hell of a lot
faster.

END OF RANT

Old February 5th, 2006, 12:03 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.air

"Maxx." wrote:

The flight is full. Check your damn bags! Carry on's should be
limited to purses and computer bags. Your freaking underwear is not
that valuable. Check it!

So what do I hear?

In a whiny squeaking voice They always loose my bags. Bull****!!!!
It doesn't happen that often, and when it does, it's part of the game.
You'll get it shortly after.

It depends on the airline. My brother went on a golf trip with 5 friends
last fall. American was the carrier. Out of the party of 6, only 2 of
them had their luggage arrive. My brother got his, but his luggage was
badly damaged. He went to the counter to complain about it but couldn't
find anyone who gave a ****.

People don't want their luggage "shortly". They want it to arrive with
them. A lot of them have things to do and places to go. They don't want to
have to worry about whether or not their luggage will arrive. They don't
want to have to spend their time shopping for replacement clothes when
they could be enjoying their vacation, or being productive if it is a
business trip.

Old February 5th, 2006, 12:38 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.air

Dave Smith wrote:
"Maxx." wrote:

The flight is full. Check your damn bags! Carry on's should be
limited to purses and computer bags. Your freaking underwear is not
that valuable. Check it!

So what do I hear?

In a whiny squeaking voice They always loose my bags. Bull****!!!!
It doesn't happen that often, and when it does, it's part of the game.
You'll get it shortly after.

It depends on the airline. My brother went on a golf trip with 5 friends
last fall. American was the carrier. Out of the party of 6, only 2 of
them had their luggage arrive. My brother got his, but his luggage was
badly damaged. He went to the counter to complain about it but couldn't
find anyone who gave a ****.

Did this happen on *every flight* he ever took in his life? Of course
not, but that will be his excuse from now on to load the overheads with
everything he owns. And to find someone at any airline who gives a
****, if your justified, you make enough noise until you find someone
who does.

People don't want their luggage "shortly". They want it to arrive with
them. A lot of them have things to do and places to go.

So do I.

They don't want to
have to worry about whether or not their luggage will arrive. They don't
want to have to spend their time shopping for replacement clothes when
they could be enjoying their vacation, or being productive if it is a
business trip.

So it happens once or twice, and that gives them the reason to make
travel miserable for everyone else?
If they're that worried, they shoud try another form of transportation.

I've had lost luggage maybe 20 times in the past 40 years of travel.
And I still check my bags. And when they are delayed, my Customers
understand.

Old February 5th, 2006, 01:31 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.air

Dave Smith wrote:

People don't want their luggage "shortly". They want it to arrive with
them.

It's a good thing these young whippersnappers never had to ride on
trains, in the good ole days.
Old February 5th, 2006, 02:29 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.air

I'd have agreed with you until last year.
In my carry-on, I had my medicine, my laptop and precious little else.

We spent ten days in downtown St. John's, Newfoundland mostly as
pedestrians. Underwear is something you buy out at the edge of town at the
big box stores, not in the downtown area. Our checked baggage arrived on
the sixth day of our ten day stay. Meanwhile, we had taken bus trips out to
the big box stores to buy some underwear, giving up the precious tourist
time we had made the trip for.

We're going back this summer but you better believe that at least one change
of underwear will be in the carry-on.

Old February 5th, 2006, 02:40 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.air

Don Shorock wrote:
I'd have agreed with you until last year.
In my carry-on, I had my medicine, my laptop and precious little else.

We spent ten days in downtown St. John's, Newfoundland mostly as
pedestrians. Underwear is something you buy out at the edge of town at the
big box stores, not in the downtown area. Our checked baggage arrived on
the sixth day of our ten day stay. Meanwhile, we had taken bus trips out to
the big box stores to buy some underwear, giving up the precious tourist
time we had made the trip for.

We're going back this summer but you better believe that at least one change
of underwear will be in the carry-on.

It's things like this that made us decide in January 2001 (LONG before
9/11) that we weren't going to fly any more.
Old February 5th, 2006, 02:56 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.air

On 4 Feb 2006 14:53:49 -0800, "Maxx." wrote:

[...]

The airlines (in the US) allow one carry on plus a purse/computer bag.
So long as everyone brings a carry on of no greater than the specified
size, I see no problem with it. In that carry on people will bring
their medicines, cameras and the like that you're told not to put in
checked baggage. Plus the aforementioned underwear. It's a great
place to put that extra days clothing in case of a delayed bag.

The real trick is getting everyone to bring a that carry on of the
correct size.
Old February 5th, 2006, 03:17 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.air

In article ,
sechumlib wrote:

Don Shorock wrote:
I'd have agreed with you until last year.
In my carry-on, I had my medicine, my laptop and precious little else.

We spent ten days in downtown St. John's, Newfoundland mostly as
pedestrians. Underwear is something you buy out at the edge of town at the
big box stores, not in the downtown area. Our checked baggage arrived on
the sixth day of our ten day stay. Meanwhile, we had taken bus trips out to
the big box stores to buy some underwear, giving up the precious tourist
time we had made the trip for.

We're going back this summer but you better believe that at least one change
of underwear will be in the carry-on.

It's things like this that made us decide in January 2001 (LONG before
9/11) that we weren't going to fly any more.

Whatever makes you happy. You are silly by allowing relatively rare
problems to limit your life. I travel by air about an average of three
times a year, as I have been doing for the past fifteen years or so.
This includes both United States domestic and international travel on
several different airlines. Not once has an airline lost my luggage.
Stay home if you wish, but basing a decision to avoid air travel because
your luggage may be lost is silly.
Old February 5th, 2006, 03:42 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.air

Don Shorock wrote:
I'd have agreed with you until last year.
In my carry-on, I had my medicine, my laptop and precious little else.

We spent ten days in downtown St. John's, Newfoundland mostly as
pedestrians. Underwear is something you buy out at the edge of town at the
big box stores, not in the downtown area. Our checked baggage arrived on
the sixth day of our ten day stay. Meanwhile, we had taken bus trips out to
the big box stores to buy some underwear, giving up the precious tourist
time we had made the trip for.

We're going back this summer but you better believe that at least one change
of underwear will be in the carry-on.

After that incident (I'm sorry to here it happened), it's normal to be
cautious on the next trip. Honestly, I doubt it will ever happen
again, but carry what you think is reasonable.
(and good luck on the next trip)