Question for this group

Old January 24th, 2007, 02:57 AM posted to rec.travel.air
VS[_1_]

Default Question for this group

In article . com,
Tchiowa wrote:

I think the earliest I ever showed up
for my flight at SFO was 1 hour in advance.

That was then. Post 9/11 that's impossible.

Bull****. I fly to/from SFO 3-4 times a year. I usually come to the
airport 45 or so minutes prior to my flight time: enough to print my
boarding pass from the kiosk and walk up to the gate just as my flight
is boarding. Occasionally there is a line at the security checkpoint,
and then I am one of the last people to board. Never missed my flight
yet, and - that's the best part - I get to my destination at *exactly*
the same time as the morons who showed up at the airport two hours
in advance.

Unlike you, I am not a big fan of airport lounges and airline TVs.

Based on your previous posts you don't have access to the lounges.

If you read my previous posts, you'd know that I am a Skyteam Elite Plus
(Southwest doesn't fly internationally, so I fly CO/DL/AM/KL/AF/NW/KE).
I have access to any Skyteam lounge when flying internationally.
Occasionally, I do fly business class, and it usually comes with
lounge access. Speaking of SFO, Virgin Clubhouse there is pretty nice,
but I sure wouldn't come to the airport early to hang out there.

You want cheap, remember?

No, *you* said that I want cheap, and I had to patiently explain to
you that I fly Southwest because they have more nonstops out of my
airport than the next three airlines combined, not because of the price.

I don't have much time to waste, so I usually aim to be the last person
to check in (if I cannot check in online), and the last person to board,

False economy of time.

Nothing false about it. While you are wasting your time moping around
airport lounges, I am either spending more time at home, or getting
work done.

Old January 24th, 2007, 03:23 AM posted to rec.travel.air
VS[_1_]

In article ,
Mike Hunt postmaster@localhost wrote:

It doesn't matter how early or late you check in, you aren't going to
fly WN out of SFO.

Not anymore, but back in the day WN was definitely flying from SFO to
SAN and maybe to one other place.

Old January 26th, 2007, 02:24 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Binyamin Dissen

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 18:57:24 -0800 (PST) (VS) wrote:

:In article . com,
:Tchiowa wrote:

:I think the earliest I ever showed up
:for my flight at SFO was 1 hour in advance.

:That was then. Post 9/11 that's impossible.

: Bull****. I fly to/from SFO 3-4 times a year. I usually come to the
: airport 45 or so minutes prior to my flight time: enough to print my
: boarding pass from the kiosk and walk up to the gate just as my flight
: is boarding. Occasionally there is a line at the security checkpoint,
: and then I am one of the last people to board. Never missed my flight
: yet, and - that's the best part - I get to my destination at *exactly*
: the same time as the morons who showed up at the airport two hours
: in advance.

Yes.

Without bags, 30 minutes is enough.

Of course, it used to be five or ten, but those times are gone.

[...]

Perhaps the difference between you two is that "Tchiowa" happily bills his
clients for wasting a few hours at the airport.

People with more integrity try to avoid padding the bills. Thus will not
choose to waste time at the airport, even if they can charge the client for
it.

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com

Old January 26th, 2007, 03:52 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Alan Street

In article , Binyamin
Dissen wrote:

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 18:57:24 -0800 (PST) (VS) wrote:

:I don't have much time to waste, so I usually aim to be the last person
:to check in (if I cannot check in online), and the last person to board,

:False economy of time.

: Nothing false about it. While you are wasting your time moping around
: airport lounges, I am either spending more time at home, or getting
: work done.

Perhaps the difference between you two is that "Tchiowa" happily bills his
clients for wasting a few hours at the airport.

As far as I know, Tchiowa is a salaried employee.

While I don't agree with VS about always arriving "just in time" I also
have a somewhat different view of Southwest than Tchiowa. I'm PPS on
Singapore Air (which means I fly them a fair amount in business class)
and I agree that they're one of the best airlines in the world for long
haul flights. However, they're nothing special for short hops around
Asia. Southwest, on the other hand, runs a really great bus service. I
much prefer them to United or AA for short hops around the US (or even
some longer hops). For a 1~2 hour flight, I don't need or want the
amenities associated with a 10+ hour flight, I just want the plane to
take off on time and get me to my destination safely. Southwest has a
better track record in this area than UA or AA.

People with more integrity try to avoid padding the bills. Thus will not
choose to waste time at the airport, even if they can charge the client for
it.

Arriving a little early for a flight and leaving yourself time for
unexpected delays (like when the TSA decides they want to train their
"special olympics" crew and the inspection line grows to 90 minutes)
isn't wasting time. And if you know what you're doing, you can be
pretty productive in a business lounge if you find yourself with extra
time.
Old January 26th, 2007, 08:02 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Binyamin Dissen

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 07:52:28 -0800 Alan Street
wrote:

:In article , Binyamin
:Dissen wrote:

: On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 18:57:24 -0800 (PST) (VS) wrote:

: :I don't have much time to waste, so I usually aim to be the last person
: :to check in (if I cannot check in online), and the last person to board,

: :False economy of time.

: : Nothing false about it. While you are wasting your time moping around
: : airport lounges, I am either spending more time at home, or getting
: : work done.

: Perhaps the difference between you two is that "Tchiowa" happily bills his
: clients for wasting a few hours at the airport.

:As far as I know, Tchiowa is a salaried employee.

His (or his companies) clients are charged for his time.

I am sure that he gets bonuses based on how many hours he can charge to the
clients.

[...]

Two+ hours is padding.

I have not (yet) seen 90 minute TSA delays. Have you? The only time I would
expect such a thing is if a lot of people come really early and then get
delayed because those going on flights departing sooner get advanced to the
front of the line.