Icing and supersonic speed.

Old May 13th, 2007, 01:08 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Alpha Crucis Radio Network IT Admin

Default Icing and supersonic speed.

I found that in Flight Simulator engines 9.1 and 10.0 icing is simulated
(if cold enough and a high enohgh altitude) that can make the autothrottle
go hayware. Can something like that happen in a real airplane?

But when this has happend, and the autothrottle gets confused and puts
the engines to at or near full power, that some common passenger
aircraft can exceed Mach 1. I had that happen to in in FS9.1 and
FSX with an Airbus A340, and I ended up reaching a speed of
Mach 1.10. The engines of an A340 are powerful enough to propel
the craft to Mach 1.10 (at 39,000 feet, though you would not want to
do this very long in a real airplane becuase of the rate at which fuel
would be consumed), and when FS did that with a 737-500, I
ended up doing Mach 1.01 in a 737-500, until I switch the
throttles to manual control and slowed the aircraft down to
the normal cruise sped of .74 to .77 mach for a 737.

Old May 13th, 2007, 05:15 PM posted to rec.travel.air
MarcoPoloPlayer

Alpha Crucis Radio Network IT Admin wrote:
I found that in Flight Simulator engines 9.1 and 10.0 icing is simulated
(if cold enough and a high enohgh altitude) that can make the autothrottle
go hayware. Can something like that happen in a real airplane?

What altitude did this happen at?
Old May 13th, 2007, 07:23 PM posted to rec.travel.air

"MarcoPoloPlayer" root@localhost wrote in message
Alpha Crucis Radio Network IT Admin wrote:
I found that in Flight Simulator engines 9.1 and 10.0 icing is simulated
(if cold enough and a high enohgh altitude) that can make the
autothrottle
go hayware. Can something like that happen in a real airplane?

What altitude did this happen at?

usuallu at around 37,000 feet

Old May 13th, 2007, 07:34 PM posted to rec.travel.air
MarcoPoloPlayer

Alpha Crucis Radio Network IT Admin wrote:

"MarcoPoloPlayer" root@localhost wrote in message

Alpha Crucis Radio Network IT Admin wrote:

I found that in Flight Simulator engines 9.1 and 10.0 icing is simulated
(if cold enough and a high enohgh altitude) that can make the
autothrottle
go hayware. Can something like that happen in a real airplane?

What altitude did this happen at?

usuallu at around 37,000 feet

Do not put so much reliance into your simulator

Old May 13th, 2007, 10:33 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Tom Peel[_5_]

Alpha Crucis Radio Network IT Admin schrieb:
I found that in Flight Simulator engines 9.1 and 10.0 icing is simulated
(if cold enough and a high enohgh altitude) that can make the autothrottle
go hayware. Can something like that happen in a real airplane?

No, because real world pilots turn the pitot heating on, which you
forgot to do.
T.

Old May 17th, 2007, 04:55 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Charles Newman[_3_]

"Tom Peel" wrote in message
Alpha Crucis Radio Network IT Admin schrieb:
I found that in Flight Simulator engines 9.1 and 10.0 icing is simulated
(if cold enough and a high enohgh altitude) that can make the
autothrottle
go hayware. Can something like that happen in a real airplane?

No, because real world pilots turn the pitot heating on, which you forgot
to do.
T.

Well, my point there is that an Airbus A340 can reach a maximum speed
of Mach 1.10, and a 747-500 a top speed of Mach 1.01, both at
an altitude of 37,000 feet, becuase when the autothrottle goes
haywire due to freexing, the engines go to full power, beucase the
autothrottle thinks you are going slower than you really are, and
I did have an A-340 300 top out at Mach 1.10, and a 737-500
top out at mach M 1.01

Old May 17th, 2007, 11:48 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Marty Shapiro

"Charles Newman" wrote in
:

"Tom Peel" wrote in message
Alpha Crucis Radio Network IT Admin schrieb:
I found that in Flight Simulator engines 9.1 and 10.0 icing is
simulated (if cold enough and a high enohgh altitude) that can make
the autothrottle
go hayware. Can something like that happen in a real airplane?

No, because real world pilots turn the pitot heating on, which you
forgot to do.
T.

Well, my point there is that an Airbus A340 can reach a maximum speed
of Mach 1.10, and a 747-500 a top speed of Mach 1.01, both at
an altitude of 37,000 feet, becuase when the autothrottle goes
haywire due to freexing, the engines go to full power, beucase the
autothrottle thinks you are going slower than you really are, and
I did have an A-340 300 top out at Mach 1.10, and a 737-500
top out at mach M 1.01

Are you really that stupid to believe that a game knows more than the
manufacturer about the top speed of the aircraft?

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)
Old May 18th, 2007, 12:09 AM posted to rec.travel.air
NotABushSupporter

Marty Shapiro wrote:

Are you really that stupid to believe that a game knows more than the
manufacturer about the top speed of the aircraft?

Yes. After all, it is a MICROSOFT game.

MS knows all about flying. In fact, often people see what looks like the
sky when using Windows. They have another name for it.. Blue Screen OF
Death.
Old May 18th, 2007, 04:18 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Nobody

Yes. After all, it is a MICROSOFT game.

Yep. In fact, the Concorde didn't have icing problems. At supersonic
speed, the friction of air made the skin of the concorde so hot that the
plane stretched by a measurable amount. Ice would not form on such hot
surfaces.
Old May 18th, 2007, 07:53 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Charles Newman[_3_]

"Nobody" wrote in message

Yes. After all, it is a MICROSOFT game.

Yep. In fact, the Concorde didn't have icing problems. At supersonic
speed, the friction of air made the skin of the concorde so hot that the
plane stretched by a measurable amount. Ice would not form on such hot
surfaces.

That is true with the A340, when it tops out at Mach 1.1, the surfaces are
warmed enough where the icing problem dissapears with about 1/2 hour
and the autothottle can once again be used.