Boarding Time (Island Princess)

Old January 6th, 2005, 02:57 PM

Default Boarding Time (Island Princess)

We are booked on the Island Pricess out of Whittier with a 9:30pm
cruise time.

What time should I expect to be able to board?

and

What time would be best to avoid as much of the crowds as possible? My
first thought was to try and avoid getting there the same time as the
train from Anchorage, but it looks like it gets there around noon.

Thanks.

Old January 7th, 2005, 12:01 AM

Hi there

If I remember they say that they will start boarding sometime that
afternoon, but remember a specific time. We were on the Island last
June, but did not board the ship until early evening due to sickness on
the previous cruise. Princess had to go through a process of cleaning
and disinfecting the ship form top to bottom. I guess they disembarked
the previous cruise a day early, so they could complete this cleaning
process in a timely fashion.

Also if you using the cruise line transfer to the boat you will leave
from the Egan Center in Downtown Anchorage. After arriving here they
will look at your cruise documents and assign you a time for boarding
the bus to Whitter, that is unless you have opted for the train. This
means get to the Egan early if at all possible to get on the boat
early. If you are flying in on the day the cruise leaves or in my case
needed to return a rental car to airport you will be shuttled to the
Egan. Then you will go through the above listed process. Thought they
would have just taken of from the airport to the ship, but that is not
the case.

Hope this helps
Michael

Old January 7th, 2005, 02:16 AM

Michael:

Thanks for the info. I've booked a private transfer from Anchorage in
order to get to the dock early (about noon) so that I can take the
29-Glaciers day cruise that leaves from Whittier before the Island
Princess set sail.