foliage hiking trail in white mountain area

Old October 7th, 2003, 05:52 PM
Sam

Default foliage hiking trail in white mountain area

Hello, Listers,

I need your advice. I am planning to take a foliage trip to white
mountain area on the Columbus day. Many sources recommend Kancamagus
Highway. However I do not want to just sit in the car driving and get
out at a couple of designated scenic view area. An ideal one will be a
combination of day hiking and leaf peeping. For now I chose
Tuckerman's Ravine trail. I do not plan to hike to the summit of MWT,
but probably will turn back when reaching the ravine headwall. I have
not hiked from the east side of the MWT in fall, so I wonder whether I
will get spelendid color change views along the trail up to the ravine
headwall. Or if anyone can recommend a 6-hour hiking trail for nice
foliage in white mountain area. Thanks!

Sam
Old October 8th, 2003, 01:30 PM
Zelda

My favorite hike in the White Mountains is the Franconia Ridge loop in
Franconia Notch State Park: up Mt. Lincoln on the Falling Waters
trail, across the ridge to Mt. Lafayette, have a snack at the
Greenleaf Hut, and back down to the trailhead. It's about an 8-hour
loop, but you could just go up one mountain or the other, and back
down for a little shorter hike. The trails are strenuous, but the
peaks are above the treeline and have wonderful views. I found a good
summary of the trails he
http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/franconia.html

It's not my website, but it looks like it's got a lot of good info on
many of the peaks in the White Mountains.