AUD exchange rate?

Old January 15th, 2004, 05:48 AM
Paul O

Default AUD exchange rate?

An analogous problem in Austr - hundreds of Telstra jobs have been lost to
India; the high AUD is hurting local manufacturers of all kinds, and now is
affecting service providers too. At the same time imports are very cheap -
further pressuring local manufacturers. The RBA is caught - low interest
rates encourage housing investment which is already overheated (in part
because of Federal Govts policy on negative gearing - but that's a true
'sacred cow'; for both parties). High interest rates drive the AUD up - and
it's probably already unrealistically high!!!

Mahitir seemed to have things better under control on his patch - when he
was still around!!!

"Raffi Balmanoukian" a
wrote in message
news:BC2B931E.1F3D6%walkabout@TAKEOUTTHETRASHTOREP LY.ns.sympatico.ca...
in article , Gerrit 't Hart

at
wrote on 1/15/04 12:23 AM:

"Raffi Balmanoukian" a
wrote in message
news:BC2B8955.1F3CE%walkabout@TAKEOUTTHETRASHTOREP LY.ns.sympatico.ca...
in article , Paul O at
wrote on 1/14/04 11:46 PM:

In Canada in July - rate was about $0.90 to the AUD. Today about

$0.99CND to
the AUD.

Hafta go back!!

0.75 in 2001 - knew I shoulda kept my AUD account!

Hope this holds up or gets even better until August - September when I

am
planning to come to Canada.
Visit daughter in Hamilton (On) and see the Rockies.
Maybe Raffi you can give some hints

Gerrit

I'm on the other end of the country and haven't explored the areas you
mention yet but will be mucking around the west/rockies before you get

here
(don't want to be more specific to the world at large) - ask again later!

Despite all my "don't predict currency fluctuation" frothing, I suspect
we're in for a bit of a devaluation against the only foreign currency that
matters here - the vast majority of our trade is with the US and so

despite
the fact it's not a case of the Canadian dollar appreciating as much as

the
USD depreciating (we are doing poorly against the Euro, the AUD, the NZD,
the Pound, the Yen, and most other denominations of note) our exporters

are
crying blue murder. It's also going to be a federal election year and

lower
interest rates will always be a good sell.

Where will we be against the AUD? Who knows?

Old January 16th, 2004, 02:13 AM
Freda

Raffi,
Most Eastern staters from NSW and Vic. actually do believe
Australia ends at their bordsers, its a great dumb mentality.
If you dont come from thosw states you cant know anything
mentality that is seen quite often in managements of companies.
And thne there is Queenslanders who think that no other state
exists.
and Western Australian sand gropers who consider anything
east of the border of WA ans SA is nonexistent except when they are
talking to a SA person then that SA person is from the Middle East
and when talking to a NSW/Vic /Qld person then that person is
from the Far East!!!!
Arent we a Colloquial "states rights" mob..
but we are all supposedly Australian!!!
About time we did away with states in Australia, as it is 100+ years
since federation.
Freda
-
Please reply to the list as my email address is a fake
original posting

Old January 16th, 2004, 05:39 AM
Ross

Boy! Oh! Boy! If we did away with the middle tier of Government, wouldn't
THAT save some money?

Ross

Old January 16th, 2004, 05:47 AM
Peter Webb

"4000 psi" wrote in message
i propose AUS for 51 state of USA ... my gut tells me its a perfect match
... just a guess

States 51 to 56, please. On a population and economic basis, Australian
States are comparable in size to US States.