Best Freanc Chateau

Old March 3rd, 2012, 10:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim....

Default Best Freanc Chateau

I know that this groups pretty much dead, but I'll try and see if I can
muster up a meaningful discussion.

If I were to undertake a (driving) tour of the French Chateaux, what would
be the ones that you would consider "must see"

thanks

tim

Old March 4th, 2012, 08:49 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge 132

It would be meaningful if you were really undertaking this tour.
Are you or is it just make believe ?

Old March 4th, 2012, 11:12 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim....

"Runge 132" wrote in message
. fr...
It would be meaningful if you were really undertaking this tour.
Are you or is it just make believe ?

no I'm really thinking of doing it

tim

Old March 4th, 2012, 06:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge 132

All right then !
Must sees are the Chateaux de la Loire, among them Chambord and Azay le
Rideau, but if you stay round there a couple of days, then you can see the
whole lot.

Around Paris, Versailles, Chantilly and Fontainebleau.

Have a look here for more, there are pics if you don't read french :
http://www.linternaute.com/sortir/ma...francais.shtml

And here are 30 more in the medieval style :
http://www.francesoir.fr/actualite/s...nce-76595.html

People will undoubtely give you more, but with this lot, all you have now is
to determine your journey.

"tim...." a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :

. fr...

Old March 4th, 2012, 07:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike Lane[_2_]

tim.... wrote on Mar 3, 2012:

I know that this groups pretty much dead, but I'll try and see if I can
muster up a meaningful discussion.

If I were to undertake a (driving) tour of the French Chateaux, what would
be the ones that you would consider "must see"

If you mean the Chateaux of the Loire Valley, the most impressive, not to be
missed, is probably Chambord. The exterior is amazing and inside it's quite
interesting as well. It has the famous double-helix staircase (like the DNA
molecule), which some say was designed by Leonardo da Vinci (though no one
knows for certain).

Chenonceau is also good, built actually in the river just to be different.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Old March 4th, 2012, 11:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Sheila Page[_2_]

In message . com, Mike
Lane writes
tim.... wrote on Mar 3, 2012:

I know that this groups pretty much dead, but I'll try and see if I can
muster up a meaningful discussion.

If I were to undertake a (driving) tour of the French Chateaux, what would
be the ones that you would consider "must see"

If you mean the Chateaux of the Loire Valley, the most impressive, not to be
missed, is probably Chambord. The exterior is amazing and inside it's quite
interesting as well. It has the famous double-helix staircase (like the DNA
molecule), which some say was designed by Leonardo da Vinci (though no one
knows for certain).

Chenonceau is also good, built actually in the river just to be different.

Amboise, for the location and the chapel.

Villandry for the garden...

Sheila
--
---
Sheila Page
Old March 5th, 2012, 08:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Paul Aubrin

On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 22:25:03 +0000, Sheila Page wrote:

In message . com, Mike
Lane writes
tim.... wrote on Mar 3, 2012:

I know that this groups pretty much dead, but I'll try and see if I
can muster up a meaningful discussion.

If I were to undertake a (driving) tour of the French Chateaux, what
would be the ones that you would consider "must see"

If you mean the Chateaux of the Loire Valley, the most impressive, not
to be missed, is probably Chambord. The exterior is amazing and inside
it's quite interesting as well. It has the famous double-helix staircase
(like the DNA molecule), which some say was designed by Leonardo da
Vinci (though no one knows for certain).

Chenonceau is also good, built actually in the river just to be
different.

Amboise, for the location and the chapel.

In Amboise, le clos Lucé, were Leonardo da Vinci lived.
http://www.vinci-closluce.com/en/

Cours Cheverny
http://www.chateau-cheverny.fr/

In Paris, the 14th century Vincennes Dugeon, easily accessible:
http://www.chateau-vincennes.fr/index.php

A bit further, accessible by the RER A express line, Saint Germain en
Laye, which is also museum, very large terrace dominating the Seine River
with a sightseeing on Paris.
http://www.saintgermainenlaye.fr/en/

Castles in every region on this web site, here La Hunaudaye, Brittany:
http://www.casteland.com/pfr/chateau.../hunaudaye.htm

Fortified towns:

Within an hour of Paris by train
http://www.provins.net/index.php/the...st-office.html

Yvoire, between Genève and Evian
http://www.yvoiretourism.com/index.html

Najac (south west France)
http://www.tourisme-najac.com/fr/dec...ne/chateau.php

Center east, near Lyon, Perouges:
http://www.perouges.org/

Dentelles de Montmirail (south east, Provence)
http://www.ot-beaumesdevenise.com/

Villandry for the garden...

Sheila

Old March 5th, 2012, 09:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mark Brader

"Tim" writes:
If I were to undertake a (driving) tour of the French Chateaux, what would
be the ones that you would consider "must see"

My wife and I actually did this last year, but we did the usual thing
of trying to visit too many places in too little time. We ended up
visiting seven chateaux in two days, but we only went inside two of
them (the last two listed), so it was something of a lightning tour:

1. Angers
2. Saumur
3. Ussé (Rigny-Ussé)
4. Azay-le-Rideau
5. Villandry
6. Cheverny
7. Chambord (been there before)

We would have done one more -- which one slips my mind -- if not for
the fact that at Azay-le-Rideau, not only the building but the grounds
(it was the exterior that we want to see there anyway) closed at 5 pm.

These are fine buildings and we had a good time anyway.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "This one isn't close. It's not even close to

Old March 11th, 2012, 10:07 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim....

"Runge 132" wrote in message
. fr...
All right then !
Must sees are the Chateaux de la Loire, among them Chambord and Azay le
Rideau, but if you stay round there a couple of days, then you can see the
whole lot.

Around Paris, Versailles, Chantilly and Fontainebleau.

Have a look here for more, there are pics if you don't read french :
http://www.linternaute.com/sortir/ma...francais.shtml

And here are 30 more in the medieval style :
http://www.francesoir.fr/actualite/s...nce-76595.html

People will undoubtely give you more, but with this lot, all you have now
is to determine your journey.

"tim...." a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :

"Runge 132" wrote in message
. fr...
It would be meaningful if you were really undertaking this tour.
Are you or is it just make believe ?

no I'm really thinking of doing it

tim

thanks everybody