Saudi Arabia opens its doors to tourists

Old May 17th, 2006, 09:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Saudi Arabia opens its doors to tourists

Stop bringing back the topic to Europe !

"Gregory Morrow" a écrit dans le message de
news: ...

Dave Frightens Me wrote:

On 17 May 2006 00:17:28 -0700, "eetinBelgië"
wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ma...ixtrvhome.html

Saudi Arabia opens its doors to tourists
By Teresa Machan (Filed: 13/05/2006)

In line with its Middle Eastern neighbours, the Saudi government has
recognised the potential economic benefits of tourism as world oil
reserves dwindle.

I am sure tourists will happily walk and swim there in droves when the
dwindling occurs.

"All in all, I'd rather be in Albania..."

--
Best
Greg

Old May 17th, 2006, 11:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On 17 May 2006 17:11:28 +0100, Des Small
wrote:

Dave Frightens Me writes:

On Wed, 17 May 2006 15:21:22 +0100, The Reid
wrote:

its not just you. I suppose it doesn't really dawn on them how
crap the restrictions on women seems to westerners. There
probably aren't any women, gays or alcoholics in their focus
groups :-)

I read a story a few years back about a British guy that got 7 years
in jail there for bringing in some chocolate liqueurs. And some of
us were thinking Singapore was a **** location!

Time Yoorp did an article on "How to survive Port Moresby":
http://www.time.com/time/europe/tga/article/0,13005,901031208-552095,00.html,
and the Economiste used to do regular Top 10 ******** features, but
they're not mostly useful for calibrating holidays in sane places.

I spent almost a year in Pt Moresby when I was a kid, and absolutely
hated the place. For some reason, my dad is still living there, and I
have no idea why. Aside from what that article mentions, there's also
corruption at every level, oppressive heat and humidity, and locals
that spend their time finding ways to get your money. Maybe it's
organised crime, but you're unlikely to notice the distinction. When I
rode around on a bicycle, the other kids were trying to throw stuff in
the spokes to stop me, but never managed to. We were fortunate enough
to have a house with high walls endowed with broken glass, and a
guard.

Like Greg said, I'd rather be in Albania.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old May 17th, 2006, 11:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Gregory Morrow" wrote in message
oups.com...

Pat in TX wrote:

Saudi Arabia opens its doors to tourists
By Teresa Machan (Filed: 13/05/2006)

Saudi Arabia hopes to attract a million visitors a year with the help
of a new tourism visa.

Make that 999,999
Gerry

Just male tourists? I can't think of a single female who would
voluntarily
go there....

Not only women, but also Jews and gays...the latter two groups have
large amounts of disposable income, and women are often the deciding
factor of where a family will holiday.

Last time I checked, Saudi Arabia wouldn't issue visas to Jews, so there's
no "voluntarily going" about it.

--
Best
Greg

Old May 18th, 2006, 07:05 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Saudia Arabia's problem (well ok, one of its *bigger* problems!) is
that the two cities that might be most interesting to tourists--Mecca
and Medina--are and will presumably always be permanently closed to
them. There might be a few natural sites that would be interesting,
but Red Sea scuba diving and snorkeling are fairly easy off the coasts
of Egypt and Aqaba in Jordan, so the attraction there seems pretty dim.

About the only reason I could see someone going there would be to
"collect" it. Lots of more interesting--and more
welcoming/tolerant--countries to visit IMHO.

Greg M.

Old May 18th, 2006, 09:48 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to Gregory Morrow

and women are often the deciding
factor of where a family will holiday.

what sort of a father is on the pull while on a family holiday,
disgusting.
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old May 18th, 2006, 09:48 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to PTravel

Saudi Arabia wouldn't issue visas to Jews,

no Jews, women treated badly, non Muslims excluded from the two
main sites and they think they are a modern country, talk about
deluded.
Old May 18th, 2006, 09:48 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to Dave Frightens Me

And some of us
were thinking Singapore was a **** location!

Is it that bad? I've never considered going there, all I know is
crap weather and strict rules.
Old May 18th, 2006, 09:48 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to Dave Frightens Me

I hate to say it, but after much consideration, my opinion of muslims
is coming on par with yours. They truly are all ****ed in the head.

Brainwashed by religious education. Don't know what it is about
Islam that makes it more effective than other religions but they
certainly make it stick. They also seem good at converting
certain types of people in countries with proper education
systems.
Old May 18th, 2006, 09:48 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to Dave Frightens Me

I spent almost a year in Pt Moresby

there's little traffic at the moment, so for a top ten you might
start with (no war zones please)

Singapore
Port Moresby
Saudi Arabia

NZ was top of my list of places I wanted to go but wont get round
to, but talking to locals I'm not sure its not just too dull.
now Chile is top of that list, followed by Baffin Island.
Old May 18th, 2006, 10:13 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Dave Frightens Me writes:

I hate to say it,

I can't say I enjoy hearing it much.

but after much consideration, my opinion of muslims
is coming on par with yours. They truly are all ****ed in the head.

Even granting, which I wouldn't, the arab peninsula, every single
Muslim in Bosnia, Turkey, Indonesia, past and present is or was ****ed
in the head? I could stand to be reminded of your methodology at this
point.

Des