Fort Lauderdale airport screeners charged with stealing from baggage

Old July 1st, 2004, 10:20 PM
Kurt Ullman

Default Fort Lauderdale airport screeners charged with stealing from baggage

In article , Charles
wrote:
In article t, Kurt
Ullman wrote:

I have NEVER had that happen.

Me either. Wonder what would be in a wallet to cause that.

The credit cards can set off the metal detector (although I have only had
happen with any regularity at Indianapolis and Tel Aviv-- I know a rather
strange combination-grin) but I just put the wallet in the bowl and send it
through the X-ray and nothing happens.
I had a friend who was a Sheriff's Deputy of the Female Variety who long
before 9-11 kept having her bag searched because her badge looked like a
throwing star on X-ray.

--
"Salary is the only biological variable which peaks
after the age of 25. Somebody once suggested female libido is another
Old July 1st, 2004, 10:40 PM
Charles

In article et, Kurt
Ullman wrote:

The credit cards can set off the metal detector (although I have only had
happen with any regularity at Indianapolis and Tel Aviv-- I know a rather
strange combination-grin) but I just put the wallet in the bowl and send it
through the X-ray and nothing happens.

I have never put my wallet in the bowl. It has never set off the metal
detector. Perhaps I don't carry enough cards to set it off. I carry two
credit cards and a bank card.

--
Charles
Old July 1st, 2004, 10:46 PM
Howie

Charles wrote:

In article et, Kurt
Ullman wrote:

The credit cards can set off the metal detector (although I have only had
happen with any regularity at Indianapolis and Tel Aviv-- I know a rather
strange combination-grin) but I just put the wallet in the bowl and send it
through the X-ray and nothing happens.

I have never put my wallet in the bowl. It has never set off the metal
detector. Perhaps I don't carry enough cards to set it off. I carry two
credit cards and a bank card.

Those old, foil-wrapped condoms would definitely set the alarm off.

Howie

Old July 1st, 2004, 10:51 PM
Kurt Ullman

In article , Charles
wrote:
In article et, Kurt
Ullman wrote:

The credit cards can set off the metal detector (although I have only had
happen with any regularity at Indianapolis and Tel Aviv-- I know a rather
strange combination-grin) but I just put the wallet in the bowl and send it
through the X-ray and nothing happens.

I have never put my wallet in the bowl. It has never set off the metal
detector. Perhaps I don't carry enough cards to set it off. I carry two
credit cards and a bank card.

That is about what I have, although my library card also has a magnetic
strip. As I mentioned, it has only happened in two airports.

Old July 2nd, 2004, 03:57 PM
Richard Whitlock

What they found was
a butter knife that I had forgotten about and had been through several
scannings before that incident.

Hi Tucker,

I hate it when I forget to unpack my butter knife. You just never know
when I will need it. vbg

Butter knife was in there from a trip to Europe where I took a jar of
peanut butter and crackers. I can rule the world with a jar of peanut
butter and crackers (plastic ones kept breaking), duct tape, and my
"red" bag and I make my family grovel good when they want something in
there (lol). Knife works as a screw driver, too.

Tucker in Texas

Old July 2nd, 2004, 04:08 PM
Howie

Richard Whitlock wrote:

What they found was a butter knife that I had forgotten about and had
been through several scannings before that incident.

Hi Tucker,

I hate it when I forget to unpack my butter knife. You just never know
when I will need it. vbg

Butter knife was in there from a trip to Europe where I took a jar of
peanut butter and crackers. I can rule the world with a jar of peanut
butter and crackers (plastic ones kept breaking), duct tape, and my
"red" bag and I make my family grovel good when they want something in
there (lol). Knife works as a screw driver, too.

Tucker in Texas

You can't do much damage with a butter knife, Tucker. A fish knife,
perhaps; but not a butter knife.

Howie

Old July 2nd, 2004, 06:04 PM
Rosalie B.

Howie wrote:
Richard Whitlock wrote:

What they found was a butter knife that I had forgotten about and had
been through several scannings before that incident.

Hi Tucker,

I hate it when I forget to unpack my butter knife. You just never know
when I will need it. vbg

Butter knife was in there from a trip to Europe where I took a jar of
peanut butter and crackers. I can rule the world with a jar of peanut
butter and crackers (plastic ones kept breaking), duct tape, and my
"red" bag and I make my family grovel good when they want something in
there (lol). Knife works as a screw driver, too.

Tucker in Texas

You can't do much damage with a butter knife, Tucker. A fish knife,
perhaps; but not a butter knife.

Even if you sharpened it?

I've had to hastily put some of those plastic kindy scissors into my
packed luggage because they are SCISSORS. The fact that they have
blunt ends and are hardly able to cut anything but paper doesn't
matter.

I've had open ended wrenches (before 9-11) taken away from my when
they were packed in a carryon in Mexico because they were 'tools'.
What would I do with them that would be dangerous - take the plane
apart? So I took my little screw drivers out of my carryon too (at
the same time as the scissors). I've also taken a pocketmail through
security, and had that questioned.

They used to get upset if I brought food or a water container through,
but that doesn't seem to be a problem anymore.

grandma Rosalie

Old July 2nd, 2004, 10:43 PM
Robert Bob Edwards

In the new movie "Terminal" Tom Hanks was playing poker with several
airport employees including a baggage handler. They didn't play for
money, just items of "lost luggage".