Ship Attacks

Old November 22nd, 2008, 08:01 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Riley77

Default Ship Attacks

I'm sure Amnesty International would back the Pirates as being subjected to
cruel and unusual punishment.

"JohnT" wrote in message
"G&V" Bushwick at comcast dot net wrote in message
m...
With the rash of rash of pirate and terrorist stories, the cruise lines
must have contingency plans to repel attacks.
In all the cruises we have taken on many lines, we have never seen any
weapons displayed.
Does anyone know what contingency plans cruise lines have to deal with
attacks.
G&V

Their plan is to set the Art Auctioneers on them.
--
JohnT

Old November 22nd, 2008, 08:16 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Gettamulla Tupya

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 09:42:36 -0500, "G&V" Bushwick at comcast dot net wrote:

With the rash of rash of pirate and terrorist stories, the cruise lines must
have contingency plans to repel attacks.
In all the cruises we have taken on many lines, we have never seen any weapons
displayed.
Does anyone know what contingency plans cruise lines have to deal with attacks.
G&V

P&O Cruises hire ex Ghurka troops. Some are employed as security, others as cabin stewards. There is also a variety of weaponry
on board. LRADs are set up when sailing through "hostile waters". The heavy stuff is only broken out if this fails. I'm sure
other cruise lines do similar.

Old November 22nd, 2008, 09:43 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Nonnymus[_7_]

Gettamulla Tupya wrote:
On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 09:42:36 -0500, "G&V" Bushwick at comcast dot net wrote:

With the rash of rash of pirate and terrorist stories, the cruise lines must
have contingency plans to repel attacks.
In all the cruises we have taken on many lines, we have never seen any weapons
displayed.
Does anyone know what contingency plans cruise lines have to deal with attacks.
G&V

P&O Cruises hire ex Ghurka troops. Some are employed as security, others as cabin stewards. There is also a variety of weaponry
on board. LRADs are set up when sailing through "hostile waters". The heavy stuff is only broken out if this fails. I'm sure
other cruise lines do similar.

What is an LRAD?

--
Nonnymus-

Suppose you were an idiot.
And suppose you were a member of Congress....
But then I repeat myself.

-Mark Twain
Old November 22nd, 2008, 09:43 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Becca[_3_]

This article was posted on March 25, 2008.

http://maritimeaccident.wordpress.co...oes-lrad-work/

In theory, the LRAD sends out a concentrated beam of ear-popping sound
painful enough to burst eardrums and deter attackers. A popular version
is sold by American Technology Corporation.

So far, there has been only one reported successful use of this device,
when the cruise ship /Seabourn Spirit/ was attacked by pirates off the
coast of Somalia. However, a close reading of reports of the event must
necessarily raise the question of whether it was the spirited defence of
the ship by its security officer Michael Grave and his colleage Som
Bahadur Gurung, which included high pressure hose and aggressive
maneuvers by the master. Michael Graves suffered permanent hearing
damage. Grave and Gurung deservedly were awarded the Queens Gallantry
Medal and Commendation for Bravery.

Old November 22nd, 2008, 10:56 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Peg Caldwell-Ott

One weapon that you can see is on the Norwegian Spirit. She was
originally built as the Superstar Leo for the Asian market, and they
purposefully built a high pressure water spray gun/cannon system that
is easily visible mounted on the Promenade Deck under the alignment
for the Bridge on both the Port and Starboard sides. As far as I
know, they have never had to use the system in warding off a pirate
attack, but they include shots of the water cannon in action in the
on-board movie about the ship (behind the scenes tour), and it
certainly would repel anyone trying to attack the ship--VERY powerful
spray jet of water!! At the time she was cruising in Asian and African
waters, she presumably had other weapons on board, but this is the
only one that is described and is visible to anyone on the ship.

Peg

Old November 22nd, 2008, 11:37 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Chrissy Cruiser[_2_]

http://no-contest.blogspot.com/2007/03/lrad.html
--
Charles of RTC said: "Like my smoker co-worker who has not worked for
three months now because he has to take oxygen due to diminished
Old November 23rd, 2008, 12:28 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
clint

I have a Florida consealed weapon permit, and I may try carrin on my next
criuse...concerned citisen

Old November 23rd, 2008, 02:03 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jeff[_8_]

JohnT wrote:
"G&V" Bushwick at comcast dot net wrote in message
m...
With the rash of rash of pirate and terrorist stories, the cruise
lines must have contingency plans to repel attacks.
In all the cruises we have taken on many lines, we have never seen any
weapons displayed.
Does anyone know what contingency plans cruise lines have to deal with
attacks.
G&V

Their plan is to set the Art Auctioneers on them.

The BEST response thus far! That'll do it!!!

And give the Pirates free champagne until they pass out!

Jeff
Old November 23rd, 2008, 03:55 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Susette

On Nov 22, 9:42�am, "G&V" Bushwick at comcast dot net wrote:
With the rash of rash of pirate and terrorist stories, the cruise lines must
have contingency plans to repel attacks.
In all the cruises we have taken on many lines, we have never seen any weapons
displayed.
Does anyone know what contingency plans cruise lines have to deal with attacks.
G&V

yes they do have artillery they surel;y do not want [assengers to see
it of course