American Airlines - Last one standing

Old September 15th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Default American Airlines - Last one standing

Bob Moore wrote:

"sfb" wrote in news:NJfWe.25196$8h6.14300@trnddc09:

Southwest, which starting flying in 1971, didn't fly outside Texas
until after deregulation in 1978 when they started service to New
Orleans in 1979.

That's right. Both Southwest and Air Florida (where I served as Director
of Operations) started as INTRASTATE air carriers, not INTERSTATE.
They were both regulated by state authority instead of the CAB/Dept of
Transportation.
We had quite a rush to certificate Air Florida prior to October 1972 at
which time the Florida Public Service Commission intended to implement
route and fare regulations similar to those in effect by the CAB for
Interstate Air Carriers. We grandfathered a lot of stuff on Sep 29, just
before the Oct 1 cutoff date. :-)
Many in the airline industry do not remember that Air Florida was started
with an ex-PanAm B-707-331, N705PA, and after one year, exchanged it for
three ex-Eastern L-188 Electras.

Bob Moore
Air Florida 1972-73
Chief Pilot, Director of Operations

Has everyone forgotten PSA?

Old September 16th, 2005, 05:13 PM
sfb

Why does the government bother classifying airlines? Other than some
Commerce department financial kind of thing, there is no reason for
any classifications.

"Bob Moore" wrote in message
. 121...
"Gig 601XL Builder" wr.giacona@coxDOTnet wrote
None of what I posted in anyway said that SW was a major in 1979 and
the part you quoted above was in response to a statement that if an
airline didn't have international routes it isn't a major and that's
just silly.

Definitions have changed from time to time, but currently, the US
Government defines "Major", "National", "Large Regional", and
"Medium Regional" air carriers. The difference is solely based on
annual revenue except in the case of the "Medium Regional" where
there is a cutoff of 30 seat a/c as I recall. There are other
definitions such as Domestic/Flag and Scheduled/Supplemental.

Bob Moore

Old September 16th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"Bob Moore" wrote in message
. 121...
"Gig 601XL Builder" wr.giacona@coxDOTnet wrote
None of what I posted in anyway said that SW was a major in 1979 and
the part you quoted above was in response to a statement that if an
airline didn't have international routes it isn't a major and that's
just silly.

Definitions have changed from time to time, but currently, the US
Government defines "Major", "National", "Large Regional", and
"Medium Regional" air carriers. The difference is solely based on
annual revenue except in the case of the "Medium Regional" where
there is a cutoff of 30 seat a/c as I recall. There are other
definitions such as Domestic/Flag and Scheduled/Supplemental.

Bob Moore

Which pretty much poo-poos the poster I was replying to's idea that you had
to have a counter in Japan to be US major.

Old September 16th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Jimbo Minn

Hey all.......can we not deviate too much from the original post please?
Let's give American Airlines some credit for not filing for bankruptcy
at all since its inception. They cut costs and were able to avert
bankruptcy so far....let's hope they continue to stay in the same
position. I, for one, give them credit and to their employees as well
for keeping our National carrier still alive and kicking. KUDOS AA!!!!

Old September 17th, 2005, 02:33 AM
mrtravel

sfb wrote:

The seller of the futures isn't extending credit. The buyer has a
contractual obligation to pay. Oil is a commodity that somebody will buy
so the exposure is limited to the difference between the future price
and the spot market price. If the airline goes broke and closes the
doors, it sells the futures contract for cash.

Since there is an exposure, this requires the seller to know that the
purchaser has the ability to buy the commodity. After all, if the
contract was for $30 per barrel and the price of oil dropped to $20,
then the seller would be getting $10 less per barrel then they would
have receive had a more stable entity had purchased the option.

Do you think they just sell options to anyone with the cash to cover the
cost of the option or do you think they look at the person's/company's
ability to actually covre the purchase of the commodity? IF it was only
an issue of cash to pay for the option cost, then why wasn't this done
by the other carriers?
Old September 17th, 2005, 09:54 PM
Jimbo Minn

Go to another GODDAMN site on OIL......you people need to get a life and
the idea.........HELLO???????/

Old September 17th, 2005, 09:55 PM
Jimbo Minn

hey you morons.......go to www.oil.com and discuss it here.......thank
you!!!

Old September 17th, 2005, 11:35 PM
mrtravel

Jimbo Minn wrote:
hey you morons.......go to www.oil.com and discuss it here.......thank
you!!!

If you are still reading the thread to complain about it, who is the moron?