Boycott offensive comic strip and newspapers that carry it

Old April 6th, 2004, 04:10 PM
NAAFA

Default Boycott offensive comic strip and newspapers that carry it

The National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance , or NAAFA, declared a
consumer boycott of the Bizarro comic strip and any newspapers that carry
it. The particular cartoon in the link below is highly offensive to people
of size.

http://pst.rbma.com/content/Bizarro?date=20040405

We are demanding that all newspapers drop this fat bashing cartoon and
issue an apology.

Please visit http://www.naafa.org for more details.

Old April 6th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Indigo Moon Man

"NAAFA" wrote...
The National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance , or NAAFA, declared a
consumer boycott of the Bizarro comic strip and any newspapers that carry
it. The particular cartoon in the link below is highly offensive to

people
of size.

http://pst.rbma.com/content/Bizarro?date=20040405

I got a 'Content Currently Unavailable' error message.

--
A Voice in the Wilderness:
http://avoice.netfirms.com

Old April 6th, 2004, 04:52 PM
LawsonE

"NAAFA" wrote in message
The National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance , or NAAFA, declared a
consumer boycott of the Bizarro comic strip and any newspapers that carry
it. The particular cartoon in the link below is highly offensive to

people
of size.

http://pst.rbma.com/content/Bizarro?date=20040405

We are demanding that all newspapers drop this fat bashing cartoon and
issue an apology.

Please visit http://www.naafa.org for more details.

While there are plenty of people with various medical problems who are
"people with size," MOST of us are merely people that don't exercise enough
compared to our caloric intake.

In other words, we're lazy and overeat.

Of course, I only weigh about 280-295 at 5'10" so I guess I don't really
count as a "person of size."

Old April 6th, 2004, 05:07 PM
Roger Zoul

LawsonE wrote:
:: "NAAFA" wrote in message
:: ...
::: The National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance , or NAAFA,
::: declared a consumer boycott of the Bizarro comic strip and any
::: newspapers that carry it. The particular cartoon in the link below
::: is highly offensive to people of size.
:::
::: http://pst.rbma.com/content/Bizarro?date=20040405
:::
::: We are demanding that all newspapers drop this fat bashing cartoon
::: and issue an apology.
:::
::: Please visit http://www.naafa.org for more details.
::
:: While there are plenty of people with various medical problems who
:: are "people with size," MOST of us are merely people that don't
:: exercise enough compared to our caloric intake.
::
:: In other words, we're lazy and overeat.
::
:: Of course, I only weigh about 280-295 at 5'10" so I guess I don't
:: really count as a "person of size."

Really? I'm taller than you and weigh less, but I consider myself a "person
of size."

Old April 6th, 2004, 05:18 PM
LawsonE

"Roger Zoul" wrote in message
LawsonE wrote:
:: "NAAFA" wrote in message
:: ...
[...]

I was being sarcastic. I know plenty of people who are very defensive about
their weight. They binge and so on but deny that there is anything that they
can do to stop themselves. While its true that they might have a medical
condition that doesn't give them the "will power" to handle their overeating
on their own, they refuse to consult a doctor or psychiatrist about it and
just continue to overeat.

Me, I'm on various meds for ADD/OCD, trying to meditate regularly (do a
pubmed search on "Transcendental Meditation"), and trying to get my house
clean enough to reduce allergens which contribute to my problems.

Not to say that I've succeeded in improving my weight or any other problem
significantly, but at least I'm willing to acknowledge that I HAVE certain
problems and I'm trying to do somethign about them besides complain that
people are making fun of me in the comics.

Old April 6th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Priscilla H Ballou

In alt.support.diet.low-carb Indigo Moon Man wrote:
I got a 'Content Currently Unavailable' error message.

Me, too. They must have wised up and pulled it.

Priscilla
--
"I think I might give growing up a miss. After all, I've left it rather
late, and what would be the point?" Chris Malcolm in alt.support.menopause
Old April 6th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Priscilla H Ballou

In alt.support.diet.low-carb Roger Zoul wrote:
LawsonE wrote:
::
:: Of course, I only weigh about 280-295 at 5'10" so I guess I don't
:: really count as a "person of size."

Really? I'm taller than you and weigh less, but I consider myself a "person
of size."

I'm the same height and weigh 40-55 lbs less, and I'm a person of size.

Priscilla
Old April 6th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Crafting Mom

In alt.support.diet.low-carb LawsonE wrote:
can do to stop themselves. While its true that they might have a medical
condition that doesn't give them the "will power" to handle their overeating
on their own, they refuse to consult a doctor or psychiatrist about it and
just continue to overeat.

For me, when I ate sugar and starches, and fillers and additives, I
desperately needed willpower. Now that I stopped eating all that
garbage, what I thought was an "innate drive" to over eat is simply an
addiction to sugar. Take away the garbage, and I can eat like the
normallest of normal people (lost 70 pounds, to boot, and a whole host
of medical complaints have pretty much vanished).

If you find yourself hungrier after eating than you did before eating (I
could go all day without eating and still be less hungry than I was when
I broke the fast with bagels and cereals), look at the content of the
food. Many people can't handle excessive amounts of sugar and starch.
Sucks to be me, but I deal with it.

CM

Old April 6th, 2004, 05:53 PM
LawsonE

"Crafting Mom" wrote in message
[...]

There's a tea available from the Maharishi Ayurveda people called "Be Trim"
that is supposed to reduce sugar craving because one of the ingredients
bonds to the sugar receptor of your taste buds. Haven't tried it yet, but
will start today -thanks for reminding me.

Interestingly enough, the suggested use is to drink AFTER meals. I guess to
make sure you don't kill your appetite before you eat anything at all.

Old April 6th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Care to say what the content was that bothers you? Generally I find the
panel silly but occasionally it's funny. I haven't seen anything
recently to set you off. FFM