Glaucoma meds and other similar

Old August 19th, 2006, 01:04 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.air
Jean O'Boyle

Default Glaucoma meds and other similar

"Sue and Kevin Mullen" wrote in message

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
Sue and Kevin Mullen wrote:

The box for one of my asthma inhalers is almost 4X the size of the
inhaler. I have always cut off the part of the box that has the
pharmacist's label. If I have to take the whole box and now the insert
also, I will need a carryon the size of a suitcase.lol I am so glad I am
driving to my next cruise and don't have to worry about this untill jan.

Sue, after you have cleared TSA, take the box from the inhaler and carefully
fold it flat by pulling out the ends...on a return flight just re-fold it
and use it until you again pass TSA.

--Jean

Old August 19th, 2006, 01:35 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.air
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Jean O'Boyle wrote:
"Sue and Kevin Mullen" wrote in message

Kurt Ullman wrote:

In article ,
Sue and Kevin Mullen wrote:

The box for one of my asthma inhalers is almost 4X the size of the
inhaler. I have always cut off the part of the box that has the
pharmacist's label. If I have to take the whole box and now the insert
also, I will need a carryon the size of a suitcase.lol I am so glad I am
driving to my next cruise and don't have to worry about this untill jan.

Sue, after you have cleared TSA, take the box from the inhaler and carefully
fold it flat by pulling out the ends...on a return flight just re-fold it
and use it until you again pass TSA.

I would probably have to be on the plane first, I think I read that
they are doing a second inspection at the gate. Don't know if that
includes meds or not. If I need it anywhere along the line, I will
take it out, use it and put it back in the carry on untill I am on the
plane. Maybe by the time I fly in jan., things will ease up or at
least be more consistant.

I have always carried the empty box with me, just in case, so that
will be nothing new.

sue
Old August 19th, 2006, 01:55 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.air
Rosalie B.

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote:

"Sue and Kevin Mullen" wrote in message

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
Sue and Kevin Mullen wrote:

The box for one of my asthma inhalers is almost 4X the size of the
inhaler. I have always cut off the part of the box that has the
pharmacist's label. If I have to take the whole box and now the insert
also, I will need a carryon the size of a suitcase.lol I am so glad I am
driving to my next cruise and don't have to worry about this untill jan.

Sue, after you have cleared TSA, take the box from the inhaler and carefully
fold it flat by pulling out the ends...on a return flight just re-fold it
and use it until you again pass TSA.

Are the plastic parts of the inhaler disposable, or do you re-use
them? Because if you re-use them, I don't see why you'd need a
prescription for that - they are not liquid.

While it is only supposed to be gels and liquids that can't be carried
on, the implementation is spotty. There was an article in the paper
today where a lady with one lipstick was allowed to take it through
but someone with four expensive tubes of lip gel was made to discard
them. (I would suspect the screener was helping herself to them)

The lady that cut my hair today told me that she flew Friday, and she
had put one lip gel into her checked bag, but she forgot one, and the
screener would not let her put some on before she discarded it and
would not let her out of the security line either.

Gels in the heels of shoes are apparently OK, but the insert gel
insoles are not. (I suggest to whoever posted that her husband has
these - he should get a cart to take him to the gate if he can't wear
his insoles)

Old August 19th, 2006, 02:34 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.air
Jean O'Boyle

"Rosalie B." wrote in message

There was an article in the paper
today where a lady with one lipstick was allowed to take it through
but someone with four expensive tubes of lip gel was made to discard
them. (I would suspect the screener was helping herself to them)

WHEN are people going to realize that those are rules that the TSA has
posted and pay attention?
Lipstick is allowed...gels of ANY kind are not..how difficult is it to
understand? Sheesh
The person made to discard the four expensive tubes of lip gel, does not
have my sympathy..maybe she needs to learn a lesson the hard way! I, for
one, do not think some people make it easy for the TSA to do their
job...Then they have the audacity to complain when THEY are the ones that
disregard the rules.

The lady that cut my hair today told me that she flew Friday, and she
had put one lip gel into her checked bag, but she forgot one, and the
screener would not let her put some on before she discarded it and
would not let her out of the security line either.

Another case of simple disregard for what was asked. Just not thinking! Too
bad.. If they let everyone apply make up and get out of the security lines,
the planes would never take off on time.

-Jean

Old August 19th, 2006, 02:41 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.air
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Rosalie B. wrote:

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote:

"Sue and Kevin Mullen" wrote in message

Kurt Ullman wrote:

In article ,
Sue and Kevin Mullen wrote:

The box for one of my asthma inhalers is almost 4X the size of the
inhaler. I have always cut off the part of the box that has the
pharmacist's label. If I have to take the whole box and now the insert
also, I will need a carryon the size of a suitcase.lol I am so glad I am
driving to my next cruise and don't have to worry about this untill jan.

Sue, after you have cleared TSA, take the box from the inhaler and carefully
fold it flat by pulling out the ends...on a return flight just re-fold it
and use it until you again pass TSA.

Are the plastic parts of the inhaler disposable, or do you re-use
them? Because if you re-use them, I don't see why you'd need a
prescription for that - they are not liquid.

An inhaler is made up of two parts, the pressurized canister and the
plastic holder/dispenser. What I was talking about above is the box
that the inhaler(both parts) comes in and has the prescribing
information.

While it is only supposed to be gels and liquids that can't be carried
on, the implementation is spotty. There was an article in the paper
today where a lady with one lipstick was allowed to take it through
but someone with four expensive tubes of lip gel was made to discard
them. (I would suspect the screener was helping herself to them)

Right, each screener has their own version of what is ok and what isn't.

sue

Old August 19th, 2006, 03:47 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.air
Dillon Pyron

Thus spake "Jean O'Boyle" :

"Sue and Kevin Mullen" wrote in message

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
Sue and Kevin Mullen wrote:

The box for one of my asthma inhalers is almost 4X the size of the
inhaler. I have always cut off the part of the box that has the
pharmacist's label. If I have to take the whole box and now the insert
also, I will need a carryon the size of a suitcase.lol I am so glad I am
driving to my next cruise and don't have to worry about this untill jan.

Sue, after you have cleared TSA, take the box from the inhaler and carefully
fold it flat by pulling out the ends...on a return flight just re-fold it
and use it until you again pass TSA.

They are only doing the most cursory of checks at the gate. To go
through everyone's carry ons in detail would kill the airlines'
schedules. SWA has a 20 minute turnaround, American has 40 minutes.
How long does it take to go through 150 people's carry ons?

--Jean

--
dillon

How much power does it take to run a server farm?
A googlewatt.
Old August 19th, 2006, 04:10 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.air
Jean O'Boyle

"Dillon Pyron" wrote in message
They are only doing the most cursory of checks at the gate. To go
through everyone's carry ons in detail would kill the airlines'
schedules. SWA has a 20 minute turnaround, American has 40 minutes.
How long does it take to go through 150 people's carry ons?

Well, I'm ready to check that out for myself this coming Tuesday on our
flight to NYC!
Got everything in baggies set aside for the proper suitcases! ;-)

--Jean

Old August 19th, 2006, 04:17 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.air
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Dillon Pyron wrote:
Thus spake "Jean O'Boyle" :

"Sue and Kevin Mullen" wrote in message

Kurt Ullman wrote:

In article ,
Sue and Kevin Mullen wrote:

The box for one of my asthma inhalers is almost 4X the size of the
inhaler. I have always cut off the part of the box that has the
pharmacist's label. If I have to take the whole box and now the insert
also, I will need a carryon the size of a suitcase.lol I am so glad I am
driving to my next cruise and don't have to worry about this untill jan.

Sue, after you have cleared TSA, take the box from the inhaler and carefully
fold it flat by pulling out the ends...on a return flight just re-fold it
and use it until you again pass TSA.

They are only doing the most cursory of checks at the gate. To go
through everyone's carry ons in detail would kill the airlines'
schedules. SWA has a 20 minute turnaround, American has 40 minutes.
How long does it take to go through 150 people's carry ons?

This may be true, but is it worth taking a chance of my bag being
checked and my inhaler taken away because it isn't in the proper box?
I will be watching to see what happens before my next flight.

sue
Old August 19th, 2006, 05:53 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.air
Rosalie B.

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote:

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
.. .

There was an article in the paper
today where a lady with one lipstick was allowed to take it through
but someone with four expensive tubes of lip gel was made to discard
them. (I would suspect the screener was helping herself to them)

WHEN are people going to realize that those are rules that the TSA has
posted and pay attention?
Lipstick is allowed...gels of ANY kind are not..how difficult is it to
understand? Sheesh

Except that sometimes lipstick is also confiscated. They don't
follow their own rules.

The person made to discard the four expensive tubes of lip gel, does not
have my sympathy..maybe she needs to learn a lesson the hard way! I, for
one, do not think some people make it easy for the TSA to do their
job...Then they have the audacity to complain when THEY are the ones that
disregard the rules.

The lady that cut my hair today told me that she flew Friday, and she
had put one lip gel into her checked bag, but she forgot one, and the
screener would not let her put some on before she discarded it and
would not let her out of the security line either.

Another case of simple disregard for what was asked. Just not thinking! Too
bad.. If they let everyone apply make up and get out of the security lines,
the planes would never take off on time.

She had two hours before her plane took off. How long does it take to
swipe a gel over two lips?

Old August 19th, 2006, 08:09 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_1_]

Rosalie B. wrote:

While it is only supposed to be gels and liquids that can't be carried
on, the implementation is spotty. There was an article in the paper
today where a lady with one lipstick was allowed to take it through
but someone with four expensive tubes of lip gel was made to discard
them. (I would suspect the screener was helping herself to them)

Nonsense. Everytime I have seen someone with a banned item, the screener
has indicated they were free to check their bag.

The lady that cut my hair today told me that she flew Friday, and she
had put one lip gel into her checked bag, but she forgot one, and the
screener would not let her put some on before she discarded it and
would not let her out of the security line either.

Nonsense. You are permitted to check such items you accidently leave in
your carryon. The other day, the guy in front of me was invited to check
his bag that had a can of shaving cream. I was given the option of
leaving the line to mail or check the small bottle of lotion that I had
forgotten was in a bag from an earlier trip. On more than a few
occasions, I have even witnessed TSA directing people to the location of
the box for a company that specializes in mailing banned items from
airports.