From Strasbourg to Eindhoven - how?

Old April 29th, 2005, 06:21 PM
zkat

Default From Strasbourg to Eindhoven - how?

I need to get from Strasbourg (FR) to Eindhoven (NL) on 17th May. Have
done a quick search but I can't find any sensible flights or trains,
and running out of time this evening.
SXB has its own teeny airport, but is also accesible from
Basel-Mulhouse, Frankfurt and probably Karlsruhe.
Eindhoven also has a teeny airport, but pushshove, I could fly to
Dusseldorf or Amsterdam.
Driving would take at least 4 hours, do-able but not my preferred
option
Anyone familar with the territory? Would really appreciate any options
- air or rail.

TIA.

Old April 29th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Martin Bienwald

zkat schrieb:
I need to get from Strasbourg (FR) to Eindhoven (NL) on 17th May. Have
done a quick search but I can't find any sensible flights or trains,
and running out of time this evening.

Fastest train connection seems to take about 5h 40min, for example this
one:

Strasbourg 08:58 EC
Karlsruhe 09:53 10:00 ICE
Mannheim 10:22 10:35 ICE
Duesseldorf 12:32 12:48 RE
Venlo 13:57 14:03 IC
Eindhoven 14:35

Similar connections exist every two hours. Standard one-way fare,
2nd class, is about EUR 77. Look at
http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/que...5&time =08:00
for details.

SXB has its own teeny airport, but is also accesible from
Basel-Mulhouse, Frankfurt and probably Karlsruhe.

There seem to be no direct flights from any of these to Eindhoven.

Eindhoven also has a teeny airport, but pushshove, I could fly to
Dusseldorf or Amsterdam.

There are no direct flights from Strasbourg to Amsterdam either.
(As it takes two hours from Duesseldorf to Eindhoven, I wouldn't recommend
flying there. Likewise, Strasbourg - FRA takes more than 2 hours on the
train.)

.... Martin

Old April 29th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Dave Smith

zkat wrote:

I need to get from Strasbourg (FR) to Eindhoven (NL) on 17th May. Have
done a quick search but I can't find any sensible flights or trains,
and running out of time this evening.
SXB has its own teeny airport, but is also accesible from
Basel-Mulhouse, Frankfurt and probably Karlsruhe.
Eindhoven also has a teeny airport, but pushshove, I could fly to
Dusseldorf or Amsterdam.
Driving would take at least 4 hours, do-able but not my preferred
option

Driving would take more than 4 hours. It is at least four hours from
Strasbourg to Paris, and another 2-3 hours from Paris. I thought there
were regular trains from Strasbourg to Paris. That is a four hour train
ride.

Old April 29th, 2005, 08:03 PM
zkat

Thanks, Martin - both for taking the trouble to look up DB and the
clarifications.
I should have mentioned that I am constrained to leave SXB at the end
if the business day (give or take), so a 5.5 hour journey with 4-5
changes is not appealing.

I'm beginning to think that my options are either to drive SXB-EIN,
possibly halting overnight somewhere in Germany.

But any further ideas are most welcome.

Old April 29th, 2005, 08:09 PM
zkat

OK, here's the whole deal.
I need to travel fro London (LHR) and spend a day each in Strasbourg
and Eindhoven. At this time, it looks OK to visit each city in any
order, but LHR-SXB-EIN-LHR is the preferred itinerary, for various
reasons.

Now, anyone to rise to the challenge?

Old April 29th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Ulf Kutzner

zkat schrieb:

I should have mentioned that I am constrained to leave SXB at the end
if the business day (give or take), so a 5.5 hour journey with 4-5
changes is not appealing.

I'm beginning to think that my options are either to drive SXB-EIN,
possibly halting overnight somewhere in Germany.

But any further ideas are most welcome.

You may stop en route for hotel stay (provided not longer than 60 days)
with an international train ticket Strasbourg - Eindhoven, at any
station included in your ticket.

Regards, ULF

- rte
Old April 29th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Ulf Kutzner

Dave Smith schrieb:

zkat wrote:

I need to get from Strasbourg (FR) to Eindhoven (NL) on 17th May.

Driving would take more than 4 hours. It is at least four hours from
Strasbourg to Paris, and another 2-3 hours from Paris. I thought there
were regular trains from Strasbourg to Paris. That is a four hour train
ride.

Err, driving would avoid Paris.

Regards, ULF