Need for a Tour Leader in Paris France Be Welcome.

Old April 12th, 2005, 01:03 PM
No Spam

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Statistically, the French are still among the dirtiest people in Western
Europe, although it's nothing like the old days.

Please cite the evidence from which
your statistics are derived.

Old April 12th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Keith Anderson

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:54:45 +0100, Padraig Breathnach
wrote:

From the recesses of my mind, I drag up:
I dreamt last night that Shakespeare's ghost
Sat an exam for a civil service post.
The English paper for that year
Contained a question on King Lear
Which Shakespeare answered very badly
Because he had not read his Bradley.

Hehehe!

I've actually got quite a bit to thank old Will for, because he helped
me to develop my interest in travel.

As a kid, I joined the British National Youth Theatre, and took part
in productions of "Julius Caæsar" and "Coriolanus" in 1967 and '68
respectively, at the Ruhrfestspielhaus in Recklinghausen, Germany. As
well as the performances, there were free days with trips along the
Rhine, plus other days when we were free to explore on our own.
Thoroughly enjoyed myself, decided to learn German at school for my
final two years and when I left, I worked for the German Railways
dining car company (DSG) for around 9 months on international services
all over Europe. All that served me well when applying for jobs in
travel and tourism and amongst other things, helped me to get jobs
working on the Rhine and Moselle as cruise-director.

So if it hadn't been for old Will, my life would have taken a
different course.

Keith, Bristol, UK

DE-MUNG for email replies

Old April 12th, 2005, 02:35 PM
rob

In article , Mxsmanic wrote:
Deep Foiled Malls writes:

No. 1 problem with Shakespeare is that people feel it should not be
modernised, and that you should read the original versions. I would
rather marvel at the great story telling that wrestling with the
language that it was written in.

I agree. That's why I say that they treat Shakespeare like the Bible.
In both cases, people think the actual words have some sort of magic
quality and are unwilling to translate them into modern language.

Shakespeare, and the King James Bible, are revered because they are examples
of the great use of the English language. There have been many translations of
the bible, but if anyone quotes the bible (in English) to you, they will be
quoting from the King James Bible, for example "neither cast ye your pearls
before swine".

If you throw away the language, and substituite some mediocre journeyman
effort from a translator, the gist of the plot may be easier to follow, but
what makes them high art will be lost.
Why not throw away the Mona Lisa and substituite a sketch of your own in it's
place?
Old April 12th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Hatunen

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:18:05 +0100, Keith Anderson
wrote:

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 18:00:38 -0700, Hatunen wrote:

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 22:54:25 GMT, Deep Foiled Malls
wrote:

No. 1 problem with Shakespeare is that people feel it should not be
modernised, and that you should read the original versions. I would
rather marvel at the great story telling that wrestling with the
language that it was written in.

Since Will stole most of his plots I'm sure you can find
non-Shakespearian versions thereof updated to today's language.
Or read the Cliff's Notes (or their non-Merkin equivalent).

In my experience, the academic study of Shakespeare often (but not
always) ignores the performance dynamic.

Whether or not Will intended an "industry" to grow up around hid
works, with so-called "scholars" combing his words for hidden
meanings, is a moot point. I somehow doubt that he sat there,
scratching away with his quill, thinking: "Phwooar! Gotta put a bit of
water symbolism in here." I tend to think that he intended the plays
to be performed rather than be read

My totally personal take on this is that I've thoroughly enjoyed
acting in Will's plays but have heartily dtested trying to
psychoanalyze the guy in Lit-Crit classes.

Amen. In some 25 years of being an actor on and off I had never
been in Shakespeare until last summer when I appeared in
Shakespeare-in-the-Park here in "As You Like It", in the rather
juicey part of Jaques. My two big speeeches, "All the world's a
stage" and "motley fool" are much better performed than simply
read. But I can't imagine updating them to modern language and
recall with dread my lit classes that tried to "analyze"
Shakespeare.

The movie "Shakespeare in Love" gave a pretty good concept of
Shakespeare as drama, I though.

Old April 12th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Hatunen

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:40:27 +0100, "Keith W"
wrote:

Indeed, were old Bill around today he'd be writing scripts
for TV and Film and not trying to win The Booker.

His plays were genuinely popular entertainment, people
talked about the latest Shakespeare Play in the same
way they now discuss the latest Starwars blockbuster.

It was never especially highbrow or respectable, which is
why most playhouses were south of the river along with
the bear baiting and whorehouses

To be fair, the theaters weren't south of the river because of
the plays, but because actors were lumped in with bear-baiters
and whores.

Old April 12th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Hatunen

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 07:06:18 +0200, Magda
wrote:

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 22:46:18 GMT, in rec.travel.europe, Deep Foiled Malls
arranged some electrons, so they looked like
this :

... As you are not married, why should you judge?

That's like saying that a man can't be a gynaecologist because he does not have a
uterus...

There are some women who find a great deal of truth in that.