smokers revenge

Old May 26th, 2004, 10:57 PM
Eileen Garland

Default smokers revenge

RTCReferee wrote:

I would have thought you might have refrained from smoking around two
non-smokers.

In some circumstances I would. In this case I did not, as I was not
feeling well enough to go outside.

Are people who tolerate your smoking more delightful than those who ask you not
to do so in their presence?

All other things being equal, of course.

I was actually looking forward to meeting you and sharing some time together
one day, but it wouldn't be in the smoking section.

It would likely not be in the non-smoking section either, or not for
very long if it were.

It certainly would be nice to meet some time. I love it outdoors!

Eileen

Old May 26th, 2004, 11:02 PM
Howie

RTCReferee wrote:
You've got to toughen up those lungs, ref. I would think that living in
one of the most polluted states in the nation, would have toughened you
up already.

You're in attack mode now, aren't you?

And you have never been in any other mode with respect to smokers. Let
me state this quite clearly. I smoke. I smoke public, where it is not
prohibited. I am not ashamed about my smoking. I do not apologize for
my smoking. And most emphatically, I will not sit back and accept
insults from any brainwashed smoke nazis.

Howie

Old May 26th, 2004, 11:04 PM
Eileen Garland

RTCReferee wrote:

Do you actually consider someone wrinkling their nose at you, and even waving
their hands about, to be on a par with blowing smoke in their vicinity?

I do, though I realize you were asking Sunny, not me. I consider it
very rude, and I have very little belief that second-hand smoke harms
anyone.

Eileen

Old May 26th, 2004, 11:17 PM
Eileen Garland

RTCReferee wrote:

I was not thinking of a non-smoker going over to the smoker's side (as on a
Celebrity ship), but was thinking of the old scenario where smokers could smoke
most anywhere, and would sit down next to non-smokers and not only not move,
and not put out their cigarettes, but seemingly gleefully would blow smoke just
to irritate those around them.

I've never waved my arms around and made a fuss, but I do recall the awful days
when smoke was everywhere. Children, such as myself, grew up with that around
us. I'm glad kids (and adults) today don't have to tolerate that in
California, at least.

Interesting. I was always a polite smoker in the old days, often asking
people if it bothered them before they lit up.

I don't do that much any more.

Eileen

Old May 26th, 2004, 11:22 PM
RTCReferee

And you have never been in any other mode with respect to smokers. Let
me state this quite clearly. I smoke. I smoke public, where it is not
prohibited. I am not ashamed about my smoking. I do not apologize for
my smoking. And most emphatically, I will not sit back and accept
insults from any brainwashed smoke nazis.

Are you referring to me, personally as a "brainwashed smoke nazi"?
Old May 26th, 2004, 11:27 PM
RTCReferee

I would like to remind you of the following post, and ask you if this sounds
like the rantings of a "brainwashed smoke nazi":

Subject: new to the group with a few questions
From: A /A
(RTCReferee)
Date: Fri, Apr 30, 2004 4:43 PM
Howie wrote:

Used to be (lots of things) on the Norway, that there were actually
smoking and non-smoking cabins. Don't know whether other ships/lines
have this.

On the other hand, as I have said many times, I would be perfectly happy
to have smoking ships and non-smoking ships.

I have not suggested we cruise on separate ships, and I don't understand why
you feel smokers and non-smokers should have their own ships, except that you
know that the non-smokers are the likely losers, but the availability of a good
portion of non-smoking cabins on a mainstream ship would be fair, don't you
think?

While there are many boutique hotels and Bed and Breakfast inns which are
totally non-smoking, the majority of larger hotels have rooms dedicated to
smoking or non-smoking and this works well. Smokers can smoke to their heart's
content in their room and non-smokers are free of it. It seems to me that
cruise lines ought to be able to accomodate smokers and non-smokers on the same
ship better than they currently do.

I don't think that it is rude to want to be free of smoke and other allergens
in the room in which we relax, store our clothing and sleep.

As for the other things you mentioned, (aside from the issue of smoke), if you
haven't guessed by now, we are pretty much in the same corner on a lot of
issues.
Old May 27th, 2004, 12:12 AM
Charles

In article , RTCReferee
wrote:

Smokers can smoke to their heart's content in their room and
non-smokers are free of it.

Free of the smoke if the ventilation system is good. But even in
separate rooms the ventilation may be shared.

But another problem with smoking in "their" rooms. While I was on my
cruise there was a fire in at our condominium. Thirty-nine units were
damgaged. Many still have not been able to move back in. Two units were
destroyed. Luckily no one was injured do to quick action. The cause of
the fire........smoking in bed.

--
Charles