air mileage questions

Old February 22nd, 2012, 02:34 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim

Default air mileage questions

I'm considering applying for a credit card providing air credits, such
as Chase explorer, MC Saphire, or another that provides credit for
United/Continental flights. I find lots of ads, and several comparison
tables, etc., but nothing that explains clearly how many air miles I
would get per $$ of purchases, or initially. I have tried to find an
explanation of what "miles" means with any of these cards, but it's a
complete mystery. In other words, for 40,000 bonus "miles," how much
credit do I get for a United ticket? Or, assuming it's $.02 per mile as
someone suggested, does that apply equally to all United flights (and
all included airlines). Does it apply in all seasons, to all flights,
and does it apply to flight prices already discounted, including foreign
flights? (For example, I'm interested in flights between Houston and Paris.)

- - Granted it's a basic question, and maybe I'm the only one who
doesn't know the answer, but it's rather significant if I want to
compare the benefits and costs of different cards, and I don't see it
even mentioned in any of the ads or articles.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Jim

Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:33 AM posted to rec.travel.air
John Levine

other words, for 40,000 bonus "miles," how much
credit do I get for a United ticket?

You get the point to point air miles, usually subject to a minmum for very
short flights, and extra miles in biz or first class.

For redemptions, look at the Mileage Plus rewards chart at united.com.

You get a domestic coach round trip for 25,000 miles for "saver"
awards, 50K miles standard awards, 50k/100k for biz class, etc.

US to Europe is 30K/50K in coach, and there's a whole chart of
destinations, saver vs. regular, United vs. Star Alliance,
tickets vs. upgrades to purchased tickets, and so on and so forth.

--
Regards,
John Levine, , Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",