$1.3m lawsuit against NCL

Old August 20th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Mike

Default $1.3m lawsuit against NCL

On the way to work this morning, I was listening to my favorite
morning talk show, The Monsters in the Mornings on 104.1 in Orlando
(XM 152 I think). For the past several years, they have taken an
annual "Monnster Cruise". This year, they had been promoting a cruise
on NCL for October.

This morning, it was announced that NCL had decided that the Monster
Group was "not compatable with NCL's family style cruising", and the
group would be cancelled. It was cancelled despite being promoted for
some time, and being planned for months. Apparently NCL was concerned
that the Monster group would be too rowdy for their ships despite a
previous Monster Cruise on NCL.

NCL had chosen to cancel the cruise and refund deposits without any
notice to cruisers. The first news many cruisers received was a
credit issued to their credit card company.

As a result Clear Channel Communications (the parent company of the
radio station) had filed a $1.3m lawsuit against NCL for breach of
contract.

The radio show had indicated from the beginning of promoting this
cruise that it was to be a family affair, and the hosts had even
discussed bringing their children on the cruise. They had also
indicated that if a listener wanted to go on a trip with the Monsters
and get "wild and crazy", that this was not the trip for him, and
should consider going with the Monsters during their Hedonism trip.

My question is, if NCL was really concerned about a rowdy group, why
wasn't this determined when the initial discussions for this group
cruise were taking place? What happens to all the people that had
spent additional non-refundable money (airline tickets, a hotel from
hotwire, etc.)? Will NCL reimburse them for their non-refundable
expenses? This doesn't sound like NCL is being fair to this group.
Old August 20th, 2004, 01:05 PM
George Leppla

"Mike" wrote

My question is, if NCL was really concerned about a rowdy group, why
wasn't this determined when the initial discussions for this group
cruise were taking place?

Because NCL's management is inept and inefficient and some of their
decisions are incomprehensible? Nah... that can't be it.

Besides, since I am a low-life, illegal, scum-sucking, shrimp stealing,
cruise industry shill and apologist (aka Travel Agent)..... I am not allowed
to say such things.

--
George in PA http://www.countryside-travel.com

r.t.c. Great Land Cruise-Las Vegas http://www.cruisemaster.com/lvbash.htm
Sleazy 3 - Carnival Conquest http://www.cruisemaster.com/sleazy3.htm
The Mother of All Group Cruises http://www.motherofallgroupcruises.com
Miracle in May - http://www.cruisemaster.com/miracle.htm

Old August 20th, 2004, 01:26 PM
OcnGypZ

Subject: $1.3m lawsuit against NCL

What happens to all the people that had
spent additional non-refundable money (airline tickets, a hotel from
hotwire, etc.)?

Travel insurance???????

Old August 20th, 2004, 02:50 PM
HDawson228

The past cruise must have been a real humdinger.
Old August 20th, 2004, 02:50 PM
HDawson228

The past cruise must have been a real humdinger.
Old August 20th, 2004, 04:46 PM

Hi Mike.... We let a few teams of baseball players into our campground
back in /85 (because we were green.) In /86, the same teams came back
and were partying all night long; jumping naked in the pool; building
campfires on the new lawn.... You name it. They were terrible. ...And
with only one policeman on duty, we were stuck with this group the whole
night. The next morning, we ended up giving money back to our more
respectable guests. ...Since that time, we have not let a single ball
team into our campground -- Period. ...As a resut, we have got many a
nasty letter over the years, and been called everything under the sun.
..But we have not had a major "group" problem since.
....There is always bravery in numbers, especially after a few drinks
have made the rounds. I agree with the cruise line on this one. ....A
group of obnoxious individuals can work wonders for wrecking everyone
else's good time. And of course the name of the group doesn't help put
one's mind at ease, either. ...Rather than choosing a family cruise
ship, I think the group would be better off chartering one of those big
party scows. Tow them out into the middle of nowhere where they can do
the monster mash 'till the cows come home (If they so desire). ...Jon