$1.3m lawsuit against NCL

Old August 20th, 2004, 09:39 PM
jcoulter

Mike wrote in
:

My question is, if NCL was really concerned about a rowdy group, why
wasn't this determined when the initial discussions for this group
cruise were taking place? What happens to all the people that had
spent additional non-refundable money (airline tickets, a hotel from
hotwire, etc.)? Will NCL reimburse them for their non-refundable
expenses? This doesn't sound like NCL is being fair to this group.

A Ray explained elsewhere the cruise line doesn't really know who it is
booking with when a group is set up. I call in and say I would like to book
x cabins for a group so many in this category and so many in that one. I
get a price and payment schedule as well as amenities and they get a name
for the group it doesn't even have to be the name that eventually gets
advertised it could be Babes in Arms for all the cruise line cares.
Old August 20th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Jean O'Boyle

"jcoulter" wrote in message
Mike wrote in
A Ray explained elsewhere the cruise line doesn't really know who it is
booking with when a group is set up. I call in and say I would like to

book
x cabins for a group so many in this category and so many in that one. I
get a price and payment schedule as well as amenities and they get a name
for the group it doesn't even have to be the name that eventually gets
advertised it could be Babes in Arms for all the cruise line cares

They ( the cruise line) may not have been aware of what was really going to
be going on with that group until they started getting unusual requests
which probably triggered memories of such cruises in the past...Perhaps if
they had been up front with the cruise line about the nature of the group
and activities planned, the cruise line would have rejected the group
earlier in the game. Just guessing...

--Jean

Old August 20th, 2004, 10:27 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 08:05:49 -0400, George Leppla wrote:

Because NCL's management is inept and inefficient and some of their
decisions are incomprehensible? Nah... that can't be it.

Whatever is your "hard on" for NCL, GL?

Besides, since I am a low-life, illegal, scum-sucking, shrimp stealing,
cruise industry shill and apologist (aka Travel Agent)..... I am not allowed
to say such things.

You just did.
Old August 20th, 2004, 10:32 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 15:39:52 -0500, jcoulter wrote:

A Ray explained elsewhere the cruise line doesn't really know who it is
booking with when a group is set up. I call in and say I would like to book
x cabins for a group so many in this category and so many in that one. I
get a price and payment schedule as well as amenities and they get a name
for the group it doesn't even have to be the name that eventually gets
advertised it could be Babes in Arms for all the cruise line cares.

In this case, I firmly suspect that NCL knew about it. These are
specialized packages that usually include special conference areas, cruise
line welcomings, dinner reservations, etc etc.

This is a group of folks on a cruise that would be especially arranged, in
many ways, for their interests.

Old August 21st, 2004, 12:02 AM
Chrissy Cruiser

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 18:16:39 -0400 (EDT), Mary Jane Meyerson wrote:

Hey! What's your problem with George? At least he isn't blatantly
advertising and trolling for customers like 'Ray the wonderful' does.

I agree with that. I don't have a particular problem with George but he
seems to have a particular problem with NCL. NCL bashing is childish and
inacurate when they do have ships that are great cruise experiences.

Of all the travel agents who post here, George seems to be the only
one [not counting Stezo] who actually vocalizes his distaste with many
of the things the cruise lines do. You won't ever see Ray biting the
hand that feeds him.

Very true. Point made.

Old August 21st, 2004, 01:18 AM
George Leppla

"Chrissy Cruiser" wrote

I agree with that. I don't have a particular problem with George but he
seems to have a particular problem with NCL. NCL bashing is childish and
inacurate when they do have ships that are great cruise experiences.

I didn't bash the cruise experience. In May I went with a group on the
Norwegian Dawn and had a great time. No major complaints at all and I have
no problem recommending this and other NCL ships to my customers. FWIW...
some of the best cruises I have ever been on were on NCL ships.

What I did bash was the NCL management. If their land based operations were
as well run as most of their foreign flagged ships they would be an
excellent company. Their inability to staff and operate the Pride of Aloha
is just the latest example of poor management. Their back office system
stinks and their sales force has been hit with mass desertions and those who
are left are demoralized. They seem to have no long range business plan and
they shuffle ships and itineraries faster than a 3 card Monte hustler and I
feel their latest policy of mandatory "service fees" is appalling and an
insult to their customers.

Some NCL cruises are good in spite of their land management... not because
of it.

Just my opinion but I have sailed on 8 NCL cruises and I deal with their
office people every day. If that is being childish and inaccurate then I
guess I am.

--
George in PA http://www.countryside-travel.com

r.t.c. Great Land Cruise-Las Vegas http://www.cruisemaster.com/lvbash.htm
Sleazy 3 - Carnival Conquest http://www.cruisemaster.com/sleazy3.htm
The Mother of All Group Cruises http://www.motherofallgroupcruises.com
Miracle in May - http://www.cruisemaster.com/miracle.htm

Old August 21st, 2004, 01:20 AM
George Leppla

"Mary Jane Meyerson" wrote

You seem to have developed a sense of humor since shedding all that
weight. What are you down to now?

I am pretty much right on schedule. Right now I am at 270 and still losing
a bit at a time. So far I have lost 172 pounds and have another 20 to go to
hit my goal of 250 by November 19. I'll be close if not right on.

Thanks for asking.

Old August 21st, 2004, 12:14 PM

George Leppla wrote:

"Chrissy Cruiser" wrote

[...]

Sadly that poor mgt at the top is going to trickle down to the actual
cruise end sooner or later. One wonders how the provisioning group gets
it done.

LB
Who is thinking about taking a Dawn cruise.