Why can't CD/MP3 players be used while flying?

Old March 26th, 2008, 03:41 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Hatunen

Default Why can't CD/MP3 players be used while flying?

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 11:49:17 -0000, "William Black"
wrote:

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
.. .
Hatunen writes:

They all radiate a radio signal.

What type of radio signal do CD/MP3 players radiate?

Most electrical equipment radiates some RF energy.

Don't expect Mixi to understand the nature our fourier analysis
of non-linear currents.

However, I would imagine an MP-3 player wouldn't radiate much more than a
digital watch.

At least not today's teeny little MP3 players.

Old March 26th, 2008, 04:02 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

William Black writes:

Most electrical equipment radiates some RF energy.

RF energy is not a radio signal.
Old March 26th, 2008, 04:50 PM posted to rec.travel.air
jjmcgov

I cannot tell you the number of times I have had my Ipod on while
taking off or landing.
I have even texted message on approach and take off so many times I
couldn't even guess how many times I have done this.
Guess what, everyone lived. Amazing.

The rule is in place for 2 reasons, all items need to be stowed so
nothing goes flyin around the cabin if they slam on the brakes and the
other reason is to make sure you are listening when they are
speaking. No FAA rule/law and it's airline specific.
I was even making a call on approach to DFW, say 5000 ft up and the
flight attendant was like put that away so everyone else doesn't get
the same idea, wink wink.

Old March 26th, 2008, 06:32 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Bob Myers

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
William Black writes:

Most electrical equipment radiates some RF energy.

RF energy is not a radio signal.

Ummm...OK, just what do you think the
difference is between "radiated RF energy" and
"a radio signal." Unless by "radio signal" you are
thinking of a strictly intentional transmission.

Bob M.

Old March 26th, 2008, 06:45 PM posted to rec.travel.air
PTravel[_1_]

wrote in message
Hey all

I just across the following on the internet. I can not being to use
all of the items on the list except CD/MP3 player. Anyone out there
know why CD/MP3 Players can not be used?

"Current regulations prohibit the use of certain portable electronic
devices on board commercial aircraft because of the potential for
interference with on-board navigation and communication systems. These
include:

Cellular telephones
AM/FM radios
Remote-controlled devices
TVs
CB
CD/MP3 players
Devices capable of transmitting any radio frequencies'

Just wondering, as I was hoping to take my iPod along with me to
Hawaii, so that I would something to occupy my time on flight with.

Thanks
Michael

I'm not aware of any U.S. or Asian airline that prohibits MP3s or CD players
in flight. I was on one European carrier (I don't recall which at the
moment) that did not allow CD players. It is certainly not a U.S.
regulation. Check with your carrier if you're uncertain (though, if it's a
U.S. carrier, you can use your iPod once you're above 10,000 feet, or 10
minutes into the flight if you're on UA).

Old March 26th, 2008, 07:38 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

Bob Myers writes:

Ummm...OK, just what do you think the
difference is between "radiated RF energy" and
"a radio signal."

A radio signal carries information.

Unless by "radio signal" you are
thinking of a strictly intentional transmission.

Very good!
Old March 26th, 2008, 07:40 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

PTravel writes:

... you can use your iPod once you're above 10,000 feet ...

How does the average passenger determine when the aircraft is above 10,000
feet?
Old March 26th, 2008, 08:40 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Benjamin Dover

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

William Black writes:

Most electrical equipment radiates some RF energy.

RF energy is not a radio signal.

BULL****!

You're a moron.