Sacramento to London Options?

Old September 21st, 2004, 01:01 AM
Blake S

"A Guy Called Tyketto" wrote in message

In rec.travel.air TS wrote:
What are the best options for 2 people traveling together July 2005?

We could drive 3 hours to SFO and fly non-stop on several airlines.
(probably not worth the hassle).

This might be the most cost effective, as long as you can avoid
the rush hour traffic going back into the Bay area. If you do, it's
only a 1 hour 15 minute drive.

We could fly direct on AA or UA from SMF and change planes in Dallas
or Chicago, then fly non-stop from there.

You could take a UAL/SKW puddlehopper down to SFO, but it would
be more expensive than driving. Yes, you'd get there earlier, but
still, much more expensive, since you're looking for the best option.

We could take a Southwest Airlines flight to from SMF to LAX, then fly
the rest of the way non-stop from any number of airlines that fly
non-stop from LAX.

Two choices with SWA. They still may have their $34
intra-California specials going on, which would get you to LAX cheaply,
then take a BAW/VIR/ANZ/AAL flight over. Second option is to take SWA
to LAS, and pick up VIR44 to EGKK/LGW. That's a daily flight now.

When did Southwest start to interline???

You might also want to consider using the BA flight out of Phoenix as there
are sometimes good fares available. BA code shares with America West on the
SMF-PHX segments.

Old September 21st, 2004, 01:56 AM
TS

Some intersting options.
I never knew about PHX to LON on Virgin Atlantic.

So interlining with America West/Virgin directly from SMF could be an
option. Not sure if there is any advantage of that over just flying UA or
AA from SMF connecting in Chicago or Dallas?

One option I didn't think of before would be to get a one-way car rental
(about $80 plus fuel at Hertz each way including taxes for a compact/economy
car) from Sacramento to SFO to avoid parking at SFO for 4-6 weeks.
Otherwise, Amtrak to Bart to SFO $14 Amtrak + $6 Bart?
Would also need to pay for cab ($50 from Sacto suburbs) to Amtrak station
downtown or hassle with luggage on a public bus.

How would a one-way car rental (perhaps needing to pick the car up the
evening before) compare with the ride to SFO Amtrak plus Bart while toting
checked luggage?
I think the cab plus train plus Bart would be a little cheaper, but is it
more hassle?
Obtaining then driving a rental car in rush hour commute traffic to SFO is a
hassle, but dealing with Amtrak and Bart is a different hassle. Which is
worse for the Sacramento to SFO journey?

wrote in message
In rec.travel.europe TS wrote:
: What are the best options for 2 people traveling together July 2005?

: We could drive 3 hours to SFO and fly non-stop on several airlines.
: (probably not worth the hassle).

I would opt for a SMF departure to a connecting airport vs.
parking/leaving
from SFO. Parking is $7.00/day at SMF and it's a lot less hassle to
depart
from that airport. I did the same when I went to Madrid and took a
connecting flight out of Atlanta on one direction and JFK on the other.

SFO is a very busy, expensivve and intense airport and I avoid it when I
can.

b.

Old September 21st, 2004, 02:33 AM
Blake S

"TS" wrote in message
Some intersting options.
I never knew about PHX to LON on Virgin Atlantic.

I never knew about that either. Are you sure you're not talking about PHX
to LON on BA?

So interlining with America West/Virgin directly from SMF could be an
option.

Don't think so. BA has a code share flight SMF to LON.

Old September 21st, 2004, 02:59 AM
TS

"Blake S" wrote in message
nk.net...

"TS" wrote in message
Some intersting options.
I never knew about PHX to LON on Virgin Atlantic.

I never knew about that either. Are you sure you're not talking about PHX
to LON on BA?

Oh, BA then. Either way. I guess it's another option. Don't know if it's
any better or worse tha flying AA or UA SMF to London.

Old September 21st, 2004, 05:38 AM
Hatunen

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 17:56:42 -0700, "TS"
wrote:

Obtaining then driving a rental car in rush hour commute traffic to SFO is a
hassle, but dealing with Amtrak and Bart is a different hassle. Which is
worse for the Sacramento to SFO journey?

Frankly, there's no guarantee how long a drive would take. Once
you crosa the Carquinez Strait at Vallejo you came into the tail
end of the traffic backup from the Bay Bridge/Maze interchange
(depending on time of day)(well maybe I'm stretching it, but not
much). That drive from Vallejo through Berkely and across the Bay
Bridge can be downright ghastly (think of it as a very long
narrow parking lot). One accident somewhere on the Bay Bridge can
lead to taking an hour or more just crossing the Bridge.

What the train/BART connection gets you is a certain reliability.

Personally, I don't think of trains as much of a hassle, but then
I just got back from a summer of train riding in Europe. Anyway,
it's pretty straightforward: get on the train in Sacto, get off
in Richmond, walk through the station to BART and go to the
airport. I haven't looked it up; there may be a change of BART
trains required to reach SFO, but that's a matter of crossing the
platform in a BART station (just don't get on a BART going to
Fremont or Dublin).