Sacramento to London Options?

Old September 21st, 2004, 05:41 AM
Hatunen

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 18:59:13 -0700, "TS"
wrote:

"Blake S" wrote in message
ink.net...

"TS" wrote in message
Some intersting options.
I never knew about PHX to LON on Virgin Atlantic.

I never knew about that either. Are you sure you're not talking about PHX
to LON on BA?

Oh, BA then. Either way. I guess it's another option. Don't know if it's
any better or worse tha flying AA or UA SMF to London.

I don't recall if you've said where you are going in London, but
you might give at least a thought to the other end of the trip
and whether Heathrow or Gatwick is a better place to arrive. They
both have train connections into London, and Heathrow also has
the Underground. This might affect the choice of airline and
departure airport in the USA.

Old September 21st, 2004, 08:00 AM
Calif Bill

You can also drive to Pleasanton and catch BART there. $7.10 for fare, and
the back of the BART ticket says you can call for reservations for extended
parking at BART for SFO and OAK trips. It is about 80 miles to Sac from
Pleasanton. And as to $3000 for business, should not be a problem. Me, I
am cheap and unless the company was paying, I go as reasonable as possible.
My tickets for SFO-ROM this month are $648 RT on Delta. "c" class. The
tickets for my adult children LAX-ROM are $700 and we all connect in
Cincinnati.
Bill

"Hatunen" wrote in message
On 20 Sep 2004 11:06:03 -0700, (TS) wrote:

What are the best options for 2 people traveling together July 2005?

We could drive 3 hours to SFO and fly non-stop on several airlines.
(probably not worth the hassle).

You can also take the train from Sacramento to Richmaond and
switch to BART there to get to SFO.

We could fly direct on AA or UA from SMF and change planes in Dallas
or Chicago, then fly non-stop from there.

We could take a Southwest Airlines flight to from SMF to LAX, then fly
the rest of the way non-stop from any number of airlines that fly
non-stop from LAX.

All of this sounds like more hassle than simply taking train and
BART to SFO and a non-stop from there.

We want to find the best possible coach seats for the transatlantic
portion of the flight, so we need an airline that will allow us to
reserve specific seats far in advance or else we would like to fly
business class for well under $3000 per seat R/T if possible.

http://www.travelocity.com

Old September 21st, 2004, 10:26 AM
Keith Willshaw

"TS" wrote in message
om...
What are the best options for 2 people traveling together July 2005?

We could drive 3 hours to SFO and fly non-stop on several airlines.
(probably not worth the hassle).

Personally I'd drive to SFO, its a lot less hassle than changing
planes.

We could fly direct on AA or UA from SMF and change planes in Dallas
or Chicago, then fly non-stop from there.

We could take a Southwest Airlines flight to from SMF to LAX, then fly
the rest of the way non-stop from any number of airlines that fly
non-stop from LAX.

We want to find the best possible coach seats for the transatlantic
portion of the flight, so we need an airline that will allow us to
reserve specific seats far in advance or else we would like to fly
business class for well under $3000 per seat R/T if possible.

You probably wont get business class for under $3000 per seat
The best I could do a couple of weeks ago was $3500

You may want to consider Premium economy on Virgin Atlantic or BA
where you get a 38" seat pitch and better seats within your budget

Keith

Old September 21st, 2004, 03:21 PM
Hatunen

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 07:00:56 GMT, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

You can also drive to Pleasanton and catch BART there.

Pleasonton is kind of out of he way from Sacramento, but driving
to Concord wouldn't be out of the question, assuming parking is
available. BART used to have a 72 hour parking limit, but I don't
know if it's still in effect.

The problem at some BART stations can be to find any remaining
parking at all, if you don't arrive early in the day.

$7.10 for fare, and
the back of the BART ticket says you can call for reservations for extended
parking at BART for SFO and OAK trips.

Huh. Now that's interesting.

Old September 21st, 2004, 04:21 PM
TS

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message ...
"TS" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I'll look at Premium Economy, but ideally we'd just like to be able to
get the very best coach seats available, exit row or somewhere else
where you have extra room or otherwise desireable location and reserve
the seats maybe 6 months in advance.