Consequences of missing last segment on Intn'l flight?

Old October 28th, 2005, 06:38 PM

Default Consequences of missing last segment on Intn'l flight?

Hello all,

I'd like to go mke-lgwdtw. This tickets out at $1400+

A mke-dtw-lgw-dtw-mke flight is $520. My thinking is that when I
get off in dtw, I will meet my bags to go through customs &
immigration, at which point I could simply go outside with my formerly
checked bags and be on my merry way.

I know that skipping a segment in the early part of an itinerary is a
very big no-no, but how about the last segment? My bags won't be on any
plane...there should be no problem, right?

Old October 28th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Miguel Cruz

wrote:
I'd like to go mke-lgwdtw. This tickets out at $1400+

A mke-dtw-lgw-dtw-mke flight is $520. My thinking is that when I
get off in dtw, I will meet my bags to go through customs &
immigration, at which point I could simply go outside with my formerly
checked bags and be on my merry way.

I know that skipping a segment in the early part of an itinerary is a
very big no-no, but how about the last segment? My bags won't be on any
plane...there should be no problem, right?

It's fine. You won't get miles for the last segment, but that's no big deal.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 38 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Latest photos: Burma; Hong Kong; Macau; Amsterdam; Grand Canyon; Amman

Old October 28th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Frank F. Matthews

If they are feeling nasty you may lose your ff miles for the whole
thing. The only real disaster I can see would be if your bags are lost
and they try to insist on delivering to the formal destination. I
suppose you could claim that you had intended to go on later to DTW and
that the lost bag so panicked you that you were waiting for it at DTW
with the intention to go on later.

Old October 28th, 2005, 09:30 PM
nobody

wrote:
I'd like to go mke-lgwdtw. This tickets out at $1400+
A mke-dtw-lgw-dtw-mke flight is $520.

The trip you want to make is something which the dumbed down web sites
don't want to handle.

If you can find a dtw-lgw-dtw fare of about the same and in the same
booking class, you should be able to combine a half-roundtrip mke-lgw
with a half roundtrip lgw-dtw. But you need to check the actual fare
rules to ensure that they allow open jaw.

(when city of origin is not the same and city where trip ends, is that
still an open-jaw or is there another term for it ?)

To get such an itinerary to price properly , you need to talk to a human
at the airline or at a travel agent. And if such a fare is in fact
available, you should argue that they need to wave the "booking by
telephone" fees since their web site is programmed to refuse such
itineraries when they are in fact legal.

If you elect to just buy the full roundtrip and not use the last leg,
you should also consider that your luggage is likely to be tagged to mke
for your return. (even though you will go through customs at dtw and see
your luggage there).

After you have cleared customs, you may wish to call the airline or talk
to an agent to tell them you won't make that flight. By zapping your
checked luggage from the computer, it will be simpler for them when you
are a no-show on the flight.
Old October 28th, 2005, 11:43 PM
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

nobody wrote:

(when city of origin is not the same and city where trip ends, is that
still an open-jaw or is there another term for it ?)

Nope. Used that terminology to our travel agent the other week and was
corrected.

I think you are thinking of something like co-terminal: Where multiple airports
serve the same city, thus you don't need to return to the same airport you left,
as long as the city is the same.
Old October 29th, 2005, 02:23 AM
Miguel Cruz

Clark W. Griswold, Jr. wrote:
nobody wrote:
(when city of origin is not the same and city where trip ends, is that
still an open-jaw or is there another term for it ?)

Nope. Used that terminology to our travel agent the other week and was
corrected.

I think you are thinking of something like co-terminal: Where multiple airports
serve the same city, thus you don't need to return to the same airport you left,
as long as the city is the same.

That's different, though. An open jaw is when they are not co-terminal
locations but you nevertheless book your ticket that way.

miguel

Old October 29th, 2005, 04:04 AM
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

(Miguel Cruz) wrote:

That's different, though. An open jaw is when they are not co-terminal
locations but you nevertheless book your ticket that way.

Well, yes, but open jaw is not at the origin end, only at the destination end...
Old October 29th, 2005, 04:10 AM
nobody

"Clark W. Griswold, Jr." wrote:
Well, yes, but open jaw is not at the origin end, only at the destination end...

No matter what it is called, I know that some tickets allow start of
journey != end of journey, as long as they are both in same country.
(for instance, RTW tickets).
Old October 29th, 2005, 08:40 AM
Gary L. Dare

Clark W. Griswold, Jr. wrote:

Well, yes, but open jaw is not at the origin end, only at the destination end...

Interesting, I have observed that with flights like
SJC/PDX/LAX-ORD-PDX but I have also done the origin
version, too: ORD-MIA and then return from FLL or
West Palm Beach (darn, forgot the code!).

I think that the trick is to have a hub city as
your pivot, origin or destination. I have done
these itineraries on United and American.

gld