UK terror plot consequences

Old August 11th, 2006, 10:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

Default UK terror plot consequences

nobody writes:

Funny, I had heard it was Hamas that had kidnapped 2 Israeli soldiers
who were in Gaza ( a territory that was handed back to palestine) and
Israel then started to bomb Lebanon to pieces to prevent Hamas from
handing them to Hezbollah who would then send them to Syria. (which si
why Israel started by bombing civilian infrastructure such as airports
and bridges).

It sounds like a comedy sketch.

Obviously, different media in the world report this very differently.

Yes, I learned that when I moved to Europe and was exposed to
something other than just U.S. news media.

Old August 11th, 2006, 11:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Bob Barnett

Mxsmanic wrote:

Bob Barnett writes:

If you were the one kidnapped, you wouldn't think they were overreacting.

The opinions of anyone influenced by emotion are suspect.

You really are pathetic

Old August 11th, 2006, 11:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Pete

And today, Bush, the idiot, went one step further by blaming ISLAM
(islamic fashists). Insult a religion and see how fast its members start
to hate you even more.

I am not even close to a Bush fan, but you need a lesson in English
comprehension. If Bush would have blamed "Islam", "Muslims", or
"followers of Islam", then he would have insulted a religion. However,
he blamed Islamic Fascists, a distinct subset of Muslims.

Pete

Old August 12th, 2006, 12:03 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_1_]

Mxsmanic wrote:

Jeff Hacker writes:

And Hezbollah started this by crossing over into Israel and kidnapping
Israeli soldiers. . . .

That's quite a retaliation for a couple of kidnappings. But I've
already pointed out how Israel always overreacts.

They crossed into Israel, kidnapped 2 and killed 8 soldiers.
What do you think the reaction of Syria would be if Israel did this?
Old August 12th, 2006, 12:18 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

mrtravel writes:

They crossed into Israel, kidnapped 2 and killed 8 soldiers.
What do you think the reaction of Syria would be if Israel did this?

A formal protest.

Old August 12th, 2006, 02:35 AM posted to rec.travel.air
(PeteCresswell)

Per Mxsmanic:
That's quite a retaliation for a couple of kidnappings. But I've
already pointed out how Israel always overreacts.

From afar, it looks to me like Israel is playing into Hez's hands by retaliating
the way they are... but then the following thoughts come to mind:
1) If some group in south Philly were launching missiles into my community - and
the mayor of Philadelphia was in their pocket and/or that group had the
Philadelphia police vastly outgunned what would I want my own city people
to do? Be patient? Sit around and let more missiles hit my neighborhood?
Make a deal - then wait for the next barrage of missiles in a month or so?
I don't think so. And if they did, I don't my guys would stand much chance
of re-election.

Don't forget, Hez is supplied by Iran and now they also have some pretty
accurate cruise missiles. Maybe not as many as they have Katusha rockets,
but I'd guess the number is slowly growing. Do you make a deal and then
sit around until they threaten your capital city for the next deal? Or
do you go in and try to reduce the supply now?

2) If that group were launching said missiles from residential neighborhoods,
would I be any more amenable to being the target? I doubt it.

3) Israel doesn't just have a group of bad guys *here* or *there* outside their
borders. They're virtually surrounded by people/nations/territories
that want to wipe them off of the face of the earth - not just overcome the
government, but kill every man woman and child in the country. Long term,
those people don't want a deal, they want deaths - mega-deaths.

4) My understanding is that the Hez also murdered a settler and launched a bunch
of rockets concurrently. They didn't expect such a drastic response, but
once it came, they just kept launching missiles from residential areas in to
residential areas.

5) Also my understanding: the Hez is doing all this just to make a name
for themselves. I can't imagine what kind of people do things like that -
just for some political fame. But if they were living just outside of my
little city, it would definitely affect my thinking...

So, bottom line - yeah, I don't think Israel is doing the brightest thing by
doing what they're doing... but they're *there*... getting suicide bombed,
having had busloads of 9-year-old girls machine-gunned by guys that think
they're going to heaven for doing it, and so-on and so-forth.

My guess is that the Israeli populace is a little crazy by now - but deservedly
so...

Israel is what? 3 million people? If they've had 3,000 people killed
by suicide bombers, guys spraying groups of children with automatic weapons
fire, and missiles launched from outside the borders, that's like the USA's
having over a quarter of a million people killed in 9/11.

My bet is that virtually everybody in the country has known somebody who has
been killed.

So I'd cut them some slack.... And wonder what kind of people provoke such a
conflict just for their on self aggrandizement.
--
PeteCresswell
Old August 12th, 2006, 11:56 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Patrick Wallace

I'd hate to be the security man who has to inspect it.

PJW

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 13:26:51 -0600, "Pete" wrote:

Even more so than usual, I'd hate to be someone who has to wear
a colostomy bag.

Pete

Old August 12th, 2006, 12:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Go Fig

In article , Mxsmanic
wrote:

Jeff Hacker writes:

And Hezbollah started this by crossing over into Israel and kidnapping
Israeli soldiers. . . .

That's quite a retaliation for a couple of kidnappings. But I've
already pointed out how Israel always overreacts.

So they should of waited till they had 30k rockets ?

jay
Sat Aug 12, 2006

Old August 12th, 2006, 12:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

Go Fig writes:

So they should of waited till they had 30k rockets ?

They could have crossed over to wherever the bad guys were and
kidnapped a few themselves. No need to lob bombs anywhere.

Old August 12th, 2006, 12:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Dave Frightens Me

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 04:24:17 -0700, Go Fig wrote:

In article , Mxsmanic
wrote:

Jeff Hacker writes:

And Hezbollah started this by crossing over into Israel and kidnapping
Israeli soldiers. . . .

That's quite a retaliation for a couple of kidnappings. But I've
already pointed out how Israel always overreacts.

So they should of waited till they had 30k rockets ?

Clearly you didn't understand what you responded to.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com