Bus trip from NYC to Altoona PA- what to bring?

Old June 24th, 2006, 04:29 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Bus trip from NYC to Altoona PA- what to bring?

I'm taking a Greyhound from NYC to Altoona and back- it's 8 hours or a
bit more each way. I'm bringing my mp3 player and some books, as well
as some food and drink. My questions are these- which foods would
carry well? Any recommendations for traveling music? I'm travelling
alone- does anyone have any advice on how I should pass the time other
than reading? On long trips like this one, is a movie shown? And
finally, how can I increase my comfort on the bus (I'm bringing a small
blanket and pillow as well as eye shades)?

Old June 24th, 2006, 02:20 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 08:45:20 -0400, Shawn Hirn
wrote:

In article . com,
wrote:

I'm taking a Greyhound from NYC to Altoona and back- it's 8 hours or a
bit more each way. I'm bringing my mp3 player and some books, as well
as some food and drink. My questions are these- which foods would
carry well? Any recommendations for traveling music? I'm travelling
alone- does anyone have any advice on how I should pass the time other
than reading? On long trips like this one, is a movie shown? And
finally, how can I increase my comfort on the bus (I'm bringing a small
blanket and pillow as well as eye shades)?

I have no idea if a movie is shown; however, I am sure you can contact
Greyhound to get that information. If worse comes to worse, just bring a
good book to read in order to entertain yourself during the ride.

As far as foods for an 8 hour bus trip (it doesn't matter what the
starting points are), I would just bring a bottle of water to sip on and
maybe some crackers and cheese as a snack and a turkey sandwich in an
insulated bag as a meal. That would hold me over for eight hours.

The bus will most probably make a stop along the way where food will
be available, but I'd bring my own based on past experience. As for
how to pass the time --doze off. "Traveling music" is a new concept
to me. I'd say whatever kind of music you like to listen to -- why
pick anything else?
Old June 24th, 2006, 08:21 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Rita wrote:
On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 08:45:20 -0400, Shawn Hirn
wrote:

In article . com,
wrote:

[...]

Actually, I was at my local farmer's market today and bought the
perfect solution: a guinea hen. I can cook it and save part of it for
my trip, along with some sructy bread and cheese. I was planning on
bringing a large bottle of water anyway.

The bus will most probably make a stop along the way where food will
be available, but I'd bring my own based on past experience. As for
how to pass the time --doze off. "Traveling music" is a new concept
to me. I'd say whatever kind of music you like to listen to -- why
pick anything else?

Because it's fun? For instance, when I went to New Orleans by plane a
couple of years ago, I loaded my player with zydeco music to get me in
the mood, and read parts of 'The Rough Guide to New Orleans' and
'Frenchmen, Desire, Good Children' (which is about how the streets of
New Orleans got their names) on the plane. I went to see 'Cars' the
other day and it made me think of travel- songs like 'Route 66',
'Maybelline', and so on- songs that have to do with traveling on roads.
I was thinking of getting some deep house music - there are some great
albums of music around various travel themes, like the 'Frequent Flyer'
series- but I was wondering what others like listening to on the road.

Old June 24th, 2006, 11:02 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On 24 Jun 2006 12:21:58 -0700, wrote:

Rita wrote:
On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 08:45:20 -0400, Shawn Hirn
wrote:

In article . com,
wrote:

[...]

Well, I hope you can come up with some music that gets you in the mood
for Greyhound's unique ambiance. Not quite a "I'm Leaving on a Jet
Plane" kind of trip.
Old June 25th, 2006, 12:59 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Rita wrote:

Well, I hope you can come up with some music that gets you in the mood
for Greyhound's unique ambiance. Not quite a "I'm Leaving on a Jet
Plane" kind of trip.

Have you been on a jet plane lately? The only difference I see, is
that on a plane, you can't open a window. Air travel ain't what it
used to be. I have a few business associates who are taking the bus &
train over flying lately, for short distances.

Old June 25th, 2006, 01:25 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On 24 Jun 2006 16:59:52 -0700, "Maxx" wrote:

Rita wrote:

Well, I hope you can come up with some music that gets you in the mood
for Greyhound's unique ambiance. Not quite a "I'm Leaving on a Jet
Plane" kind of trip.

Have you been on a jet plane lately? The only difference I see, is
that on a plane, you can't open a window. Air travel ain't what it
used to be. I have a few business associates who are taking the bus &
train over flying lately, for short distances.

For a short distance I 'd do the same. I can tolerate 3 or 4 hours on
a bus, OK. My last plane trip was Jet Blue from New York to San Diego
and it was one of the most pleasant, all around, I 've had in years.
Lots of leg room. In California I do Amtrak up and down the coast.
For a slight increase in cost I get a seat in business class and it is
more pleasant than coach. Trains are my favorite mode of transport -
if only our train system was comparable to that in Europe.

Old June 25th, 2006, 01:37 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On 2006-06-24 15:21:58 -0400, said:

Actually, I was at my local farmer's market today and bought the
perfect solution: a guinea hen. I can cook it and save part of it for
my trip, along with some sructy bread and cheese.

"Sructy" bread? That sounds GOOD! Where can I get some? :-)

Old June 25th, 2006, 04:50 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On 2006-06-24 15:21:58 -0400, said:

Actually, I was at my local farmer's market today and bought the
perfect solution: a guinea hen. I can cook it and save part of it for
my trip, along with some sructy bread and cheese.

"Sructy" bread? That sounds GOOD! Where can I get some? :-)

Ah- my dyslexia kicked in. 'Crusty' bread.
I was on a Greyhound a few weeks ago, to Maryland. Having a nice meal
prepared for myself made the trip more bearable. Today I was in a store
called Flight 001 (
www.flight001.com) looking at items, and I bought a
spork to go with my BuiltNY lunch bag
(http://builtny.com/lunchbag.php). On the entertainment front I'm
taking a few books I haven't finished, and I'll be loading up my mp3
player this week. I looked on Amazon.com and found an old Ray Charles
album that I like called 'Genius Hits the Road'. I'm hoping it'll
arrive before I leave. I figure if I treat my trip like a cross-country
plane flight, I can sleep part of the time, have lunch, and read.

Having traveled by plane a lot, I'd say that in recent years it is a
bit more like traveling by bus. But I was around at the tail end of the
60s, when my parents still didn't always feel comfortable stopping at
restaurants during roadtrips (I'm black, and through the 50s and much
of the 60s, people of color couldn't get served at restaurants or use
bathrooms along interstates unless they pretended to be foreigners who
didn't know the rules), I'm know what it's like to pack a good meal and
make the best of things.

Old June 25th, 2006, 04:53 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Rita wrote:

[...]

Jet Blue is great for travel. The company actually treats passengers
like humans.I love trains, too. Unfortunately, there is no train
service to Altoona, and there's not even an airport to speak of. The
closest train station is two hours away.