winter travel in Sierra Nevada

Old December 5th, 2003, 05:52 AM
Zhiheng Liu

Default winter travel in Sierra Nevada

I'm planning to visit Yosemite or Sequoia NP around Christmas.
But I'm concerned about the road conditions there. Can any one
who has similar experience give any information or advice? Will
driving in those parks be dangerous?

And Death Valley?

Thanks!
Old December 5th, 2003, 06:49 AM
Ken

Zhiheng Liu wrote in :
I'm planning to visit Yosemite or Sequoia NP around Christmas.
But I'm concerned about the road conditions there. Can any one
who has similar experience give any information or advice? Will
driving in those parks be dangerous?

If you're careful and prepared, it is not dangerous. The roads can be
slippery, but you can avoid most problems by driving slowly. The most
dangerous roads will be closed to cars anyway. You should bring tire chains
(and know how to use them) as they may be required at any time.
Old December 5th, 2003, 07:06 AM
Patty Winter

In article ,
Ken wrote:

If you're careful and prepared, it is not dangerous. The roads can be
slippery, but you can avoid most problems by driving slowly. The most
dangerous roads will be closed to cars anyway. You should bring tire chains
(and know how to use them) as they may be required at any time.

And be aware that even if the conditions don't warrant chaining up
at the time you enter the park, the rangers may still make sure that
you have chains in case conditions worsen while you're in the park.
Here's the wording from the NPS Yosemite web site:

It is recommended that you carry tire chains in your vehicle
between November and April, as a sudden storm could make them
mandatory at any time. Due to changing weather conditions, under
park regulations, any vehicle entering a designated chain control
area must carry chains, even if their use is not mandatory at
the time. This includes four-wheel drive vehicles.

So be sure to buy or rent chains before you leave.

And have a great time! It's a beautiful time of the year in the Sierra.

Patty

Old December 5th, 2003, 09:13 AM
Keith Willshaw

"Zhiheng Liu" wrote in message ...
I'm planning to visit Yosemite or Sequoia NP around Christmas.
But I'm concerned about the road conditions there. Can any one
who has similar experience give any information or advice? Will
driving in those parks be dangerous?

You'll need to have tyre chains and you should know how
to fit them since learning by the side of a mountain road
in freezing weather is a BAD idea

And Death Valley?

An excellent destination at this time of year IMHO

Keith

Old December 6th, 2003, 07:33 PM
bbrr

current road status is easily obtained at the caltrans website:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/

for example, 2 minutes ago the status of Hwy 50 was:

US 50
[IN THE SACRAMENTO VALLEY & THE LAKE TAHOE BASIN]
CHAINS OR SNOW TIRES ARE REQUIRED FROM TWIN BRIDGES TO MEYERS
(EL DORADO CO)

also road status is available via toll free number:

1-800-427-7623

know the hwy number in advance and enter it when prompted.

death valley roads in december should be fine, but it can be
windy and cold then.

Old December 7th, 2003, 12:55 AM
Mtwhitney62

on the Yosemite road they had guys at the chain up areas putting on chains for
$10.
Old December 7th, 2003, 01:24 AM
fishman

" "Zhiheng Liu" wrote in message
I'm planning to visit Yosemite or Sequoia NP around Christmas.
But I'm concerned about the road conditions there. Can any one
who has similar experience give any information or advice? Will
driving in those parks be dangerous?

And Death Valley?

Thanks!

Just don't forget the Donner Party......... bring extra food just in case.

Chris

Old December 7th, 2003, 06:31 AM
Hatunen

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 20:24:28 -0500, "fishman"
wrote:

" "Zhiheng Liu" wrote in message
I'm planning to visit Yosemite or Sequoia NP around Christmas.
But I'm concerned about the road conditions there. Can any one
who has similar experience give any information or advice? Will
driving in those parks be dangerous?

And Death Valley?

Thanks!

Just don't forget the Donner Party......... bring extra food just in case.

Which can be accomplished by bringing some passengers...

Old December 7th, 2003, 07:19 PM
bbrr

"fishman" wrote in message

" "Zhiheng Liu" wrote in message
I'm planning to visit Yosemite or Sequoia NP around Christmas.
Will driving in those parks be dangerous?

Just don't forget the Donner Party......... bring extra food just in

case. g

bring passengers. good for pushing the car, and...well...'dining'
companions.