Ragheads Kicked Off Of Phoenix - Bound Flight...

Old December 4th, 2006, 06:59 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.gossip.celebrities
Mike Hunt

Default Ragheads Kicked Off Of Phoenix - Bound Flight...

Tchiowa wrote:

Mike Hunt wrote:

Sarah Czepiel wrote:

Those people you mentioned are met by airline personnel. I've flown
all over the US and I've yet to fly into any airport since 9/11 where
any non-ticketed passengers were allowed past the security area.

Really? You have never seen parents pick up their children at the gate?

Not any more, Mike.

Airport personnel bring them outside the secured area.

Not true, unless something changed since my last airport arrival about 1
1/2 hours ago.

This is easiest to see on WN as they do NOT charge extra for UM's. Upon
arrival and departure, next to the handicapped people getting ready to
board, you can often see multiple children waiting with parents to
board, and also see parent's picking up children.

I also provide links to 2 airline websites that states that parents need
to escort their children to and from the gate, and need to get a pass to
get through security when they check the children in at the ticket counter.
Old December 4th, 2006, 07:02 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.gossip.celebrities
Mike Hunt

Sancho Panza wrote:

NONSENSE. Official Unaccompanied minors are signed in and out by the
parents at the gate. Do you want me to point you to the links on airline
sites that point this out??? The 14 year old would not have qualified as
an official UM on several US airlines, including Southwest

At what airports?

Instead of ignoring what I am saying, why not go to the airline websites
and LOOK.
Read the "At the Airport" section here

http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/childtip.html

There is nothing really different among any of the major US carriers and
you can find similar information in a quick look at other sites.
Old December 4th, 2006, 09:33 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.gossip.celebrities
Tchiowa

Mike Hunt wrote:
Sancho Panza wrote:

NONSENSE. Official Unaccompanied minors are signed in and out by the
parents at the gate. Do you want me to point you to the links on airline
sites that point this out??? The 14 year old would not have qualified as
an official UM on several US airlines, including Southwest

At what airports?

Instead of ignoring what I am saying, why not go to the airline websites
and LOOK.

How about go to the airports and LOOK? People don't fly on websites.

Old December 4th, 2006, 09:46 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.gossip.celebrities
Mike Hunt

Tchiowa wrote:
Mike Hunt wrote:

Sancho Panza wrote:

NONSENSE. Official Unaccompanied minors are signed in and out by the
parents at the gate. Do you want me to point you to the links on airline
sites that point this out??? The 14 year old would not have qualified as
an official UM on several US airlines, including Southwest

At what airports?

Instead of ignoring what I am saying, why not go to the airline websites
and LOOK.

How about go to the airports and LOOK? People don't fly on websites

The web link was to give you a link to a verified source.
As I have stated, all of the major US domestic carriers have similar
info on their website. Do you believe that none of it was updated post
9/11? Additionally, pre 9/11, there was no requirement to have a pass
to get through security, so why would this information be on the
websites? That is because it is POST 9/11 and current.

Don't believe me? Then call the airline and ask about what you need to
do if you want an UM to fly. WN is probably the biggest carrier of UMs,
as they have no fee for this service. Quite often, especially at
weekends and around holiday periods, you will see a few children waiting
with parents near the pre-boarding area. You will notice children
wearing lanyards around the neck with a pocket containing ID
information. Parents picking up children have to sign for them and show
ID at the GATE.

If you have no personal experience with the process and don't want to
believe the documented evidence, than provide some verifiable info to
the contrary. However, since I personally went through this over
Thanskgiving, I doubt the process has changed.
Old December 5th, 2006, 12:07 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.gossip.celebrities
Sarah Czepiel

On 3 Dec 2006 02:33:22 -0800, "Tchiowa" wrote:

:
:Sarah Czepiel wrote:
: On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 21:20:15 -0800, Mike Hunt postmaster@localhost
: wrote:
:
: :Your comment said that only ticketed passengers were permitted past
: :security. This shows you have no idea of what you are talking about.
: :Airlines give passes to people to meet others, such as the elderly,
: :children (especially Unaccompanied Minors), and non English speaking.
:
: Those people you mentioned are met by airline personnel. I've flown
: all over the US and I've yet to fly into any airport since 9/11 where
: any non-ticketed passengers were allowed past the security area. I
: regularly use Reagan National and we have a 2 hour arrival time before
: departure on flights. I spend a lot of time in that terminal watching
: my fellow passengers as we all await our flights. The last time I
: few back home an unaccompanied minor sat next to me on the plane. She
: was 14 and a lovely intelligent girl. I walked with her through the
: terminal until she met up with her mother who was waiting for her *on
: the other side of the security area* .
:
:I agree. In the past several years I haven't seen anyone other than a
:ticketed passenger allowed near the gates.

Neither have I and I suspect dispute Mike's protests to the contrary,
he's seen the same thing we have, no one but ticketed passengers past
the security area.

: Really Mike, it is you who are clueless and I suspect you just get
: your kicks arguing for the sake of arguing.
:
:In this case you might be right.

Old December 5th, 2006, 03:38 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.gossip.celebrities
Mike Hunt

Sarah Czepiel wrote:

Neither have I and I suspect dispute Mike's protests to the contrary,
he's seen the same thing we have, no one but ticketed passengers past
the security area.

I have seen non-passengers at the gate.

Can you please explain the information on the websites of the US
domestic carriers, two that I gave you the links to, that indicate you
get a pass at the ticket counter when checking an unaccompanied minor
in, so you can take the child to the gate? Call 1-800-IFLYSWA and ask
them if you don't believe it.

You and another poster indicated this changed on 9/11. If this was the
case, then the websites wouldn't indicate a need to get a pass to get to
the gate, as no pass was required before 9/11

In any case, the UM issue only came up because you indicated no one
other than passengers could get through security.

The real question was whether or not anyone, including someone on a
terrorist watch list could get through security. That is the one
question you can't answer. What prevents a terrorist from using an
editted (i.e. FAKE) boarding pass to get through security, since
boarding passes are NOT validated at the security checkpoint?

Once through security, at most US airports, they can use the real
boarding pass with someone else's name, because there would be no
further ID checks.

Old December 5th, 2006, 03:48 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.gossip.celebrities
William Black

"Mike Hunt" postmaster@localhost wrote in message
Sarah Czepiel wrote:

Neither have I and I suspect dispute Mike's protests to the contrary,
he's seen the same thing we have, no one but ticketed passengers past
the security area.

I have seen non-passengers at the gate.

As a general rule they're either cops or someone like a diplomat who has a
pass and who is using it on an unofficial basis.

Once through security, at most US airports, they can use the real boarding
pass with someone else's name, because there would be no further ID
checks.

At every airport I've been in since the Twin Towers fell (and I haven't been
to the US since then but I've been all over Europe and the Middle and Far
East) you now need to produce your passport and boarding pass at the gate.

There are now often two gate checks, one by the airline and one by the
local security authorities.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old December 5th, 2006, 04:00 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.gossip.celebrities
Mike Hunt

William Black wrote:

At every airport I've been in since the Twin Towers fell (and I haven't been
to the US since then but I've been all over Europe and the Middle and Far
East) you now need to produce your passport and boarding pass at the gate.

There are now often two gate checks, one by the airline and one by the
local security authorities.

We have been discussing US domestic travel.

As clearly indicated on the websites of US carriers, parents take
unaccompanied minors to the gate. Sarah indicated she saw a 14 year old
not met at the gate by an adult, but that is because she was probably
NOT an official UM. The age limits vary on different carriers.
Southwest handles UM's up to age 12.

If you look under "At the Airport:" at the website below, you will see
the procedure, which is fundamentally the same for all US domestic carriers.
http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/childtip.html

The conversation that started this was comments by Sarah indicating that
only passengers with valid tickets could get past the security
checkpoint. I indicate there were other people that could legitimately
go through security. Additionally, my original comments were that
someone on the terrorist watch list could easily board a domestic US
flight by using tickets under the name of someone not on the list, and
using a fake boarding pass (using their real name) to get through security.

At most US airports, your ID is only checked at the security checkpoint
At this security checkpoint, there is no check to see if the boarding
pass is actually valid. Given the ability to check in online and print
to standard printer paper, it doesn't take much to create a fake one.

Airports I have visited in the past month where my ID was not checked at
the gate:

SJU, DFW, TPA, MIA, SJC, SNA, LAX, SEA

Old December 5th, 2006, 04:08 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.gossip.celebrities
William Black

"Mike Hunt" postmaster@localhost wrote in message
. ..

At most US airports, your ID is only checked at the security checkpoint
At this security checkpoint, there is no check to see if the boarding pass
is actually valid. Given the ability to check in online and print to
standard printer paper, it doesn't take much to create a fake one.

That's interesting.

At most other airports in the world you'll find you have to produce your
passport at check-in, and the boarding pass AND passport at security, at
the next security check (yes, they do have more than one at some airports)
at immigration, (yes, there IS an immigration check on entry to some
places) and at the gate at least once.

I am reliably informed that most of this is because the government of the
United States insists on it...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old December 5th, 2006, 04:47 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.gossip.celebrities
Mike Hunt

William Black wrote:

"Mike Hunt" postmaster@localhost wrote in message
. ..

At most US airports, your ID is only checked at the security checkpoint
At this security checkpoint, there is no check to see if the boarding pass
is actually valid. Given the ability to check in online and print to
standard printer paper, it doesn't take much to create a fake one.

That's interesting.

I am referring to domestic travel.
For US domestic travel, the only ID check is usually done at the
security checkpoint, with no verfication to see if the boarding pass is
actually valid.