One-way flight on round-trip ticket?

Old February 2nd, 2004, 05:10 AM
Lennart Petersen

Default One-way flight on round-trip ticket?

"Tam" skrev i meddelandet

Does anyone know if the situation in Europe is similar to
that in the US? In other words: How risky (financially
speaking) would it be for me to buy a round-trip ticket and
discard the return portion?

I did that with Ryanair, London to Rimini, no problem. Returned the date
planned, but from Geneva on Easyjet, throwing away the Ryanair return
coupon.

No problem as Ryanair is based on one-way tickets only. Booking with return
is the same as two one-ways.

I've also done that with BMI, returning via Easyjet from Athens
instead of from Prague (don't think BMI goes to Prague anymore).

I know for a fact that the ferry companies and Eurotunnel charge credit
cards the higher one-way fare if passengers and car drivers fail to use

the
return ticket.

Legality on that may be in question. I would definately deny them their
money as they can't charge my credt card unless I've signed an approval.

Old February 2nd, 2004, 09:31 AM
Mark Hewitt

Default Eurostar (was One-way flight on round-trip ticket?)

"Darby Jo" wrote in message
On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 17:33:13 +0000, Tam
wrote:

When you say Eurotunnel, are you referring to the Eurostar
service between France and England? Do they really charge you
the one-way fare if you don't use the return portion of a RT
ticket?

When people talk about Eurotunnel (as opposed to Eurostar) they usually mean
the car service through the tunnel. i.e. You drive to one end of the tunnel,
drive onto a train, be transported through the tunnel, and drive off the
other end.

Old February 2nd, 2004, 02:22 PM
nightjar

"Lennart Petersen" wrote in message

"Tam" skrev i meddelandet

I know for a fact that the ferry companies and Eurotunnel charge credit
cards the higher one-way fare if passengers and car drivers fail to use

the
return ticket.

Legality on that may be in question. I would definately deny them their
money as they can't charge my credt card unless I've signed an approval.

The concensus opinion in uk.legal, where this comes up fairly regularly,
seems to be that, under English law, you probably gave approval when you
bought the ticket with a credit card and accepted the terms and conditions
of sale. However, English law is often uncertain until a precendent has been
set by a Court case and it has not been tested in Court.

Colin Bignell

Old February 2nd, 2004, 03:55 PM
Jenn

In article ,
"Lennart Petersen" wrote:

"Tam" skrev i meddelandet

[...]

the approval is probably in the paperwork you sign when you buy the
ticket
Old February 3rd, 2004, 03:27 AM
devil

"Tam" skrev i meddelandet

I know for a fact that the ferry companies and Eurotunnel charge credit
cards the higher one-way fare if passengers and car drivers fail to use

the
return ticket.

Legality on that may be in question. I would definately deny them their
money as they can't charge my credt card unless I've signed an approval.

The concensus opinion in uk.legal, where this comes up fairly regularly,
seems to be that, under English law, you probably gave approval when you
bought the ticket with a credit card and accepted the terms and conditions
of sale. However, English law is often uncertain until a precendent has been
set by a Court case and it has not been tested in Court.

Is there a precedent for a CC to have resolved a complaint that way though?

Old February 3rd, 2004, 05:07 PM
Frank F. Matthews

So use a debit card from an account with little extra money. Or,
perhaps, a cash card which you then close out. FFM

Old February 3rd, 2004, 09:58 PM
nightjar

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message
So use a debit card from an account with little extra money. Or,
perhaps, a cash card which you then close out. FFM

Under English law, either would probably make you guilty of intent to
defraud, although, with the first it might be more difficult to prove the
intent.

Colin Bignell

Old February 3rd, 2004, 10:23 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Even the latter would be a bit hard to prove. "I just finished the card
and thru it out." Perhaps cash card was a bad term I intended one of
those cards where you buy a given amount and that is all that can be
recovered. FFM