body scanners in European airports

Old September 4th, 2011, 08:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Default Annoying Brats

David Hatunen wrote:
On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 09:17:12 +0300, Markku Grönroos wrote:

4.9.2011 4:53, Dan Stephenson kirjoitti:

I would also recommend getting a private cabin if you can afford it. I
have HAD IT with Screaming Children Hell on ferries!! arhhh!

Yes. Children are the worst kind of beasts father to Jesus Nazareth ever
created. Damn them!

On the other hand, Jesus of Nazareth did say, "Suffer the little
children..."

And we do . . .

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old September 5th, 2011, 12:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

Default body scanners in European airports

On 09/03/2011 01:30 PM, Martin wrote:

On 2011-09-02 02:47:21 -0500, Tom P said:

Now this would be good news, in that there is a direct flight from
Dallas/Fort Worth near where I live, to Frankfurt.

If I can confirm the situation in Athens, I might make a
DFW-Frankfurt-Athens travel. Hmm! Maybe I gave up hope too soon!

Plans to introduce scanners in the present form at German airports
have now been abandoned.
The announcement was made this week by the Ministry of Interior. The
tests showed a false alarm rate of 54%.
http://tinyurl.com/454csr3

Spectacular news. Give that, even if I cannot use the Athens airport,
it's just a really really long drive from Frankfurt to Brindisi, for the
ferry the next morning.

You want to take a rentacar all the way from Frankfurt on a ferry to
Greece?

It's some time off my trip, but do-able. I'm
concerned about driving 11 hours with a hour jet-lag -- but my point is
valid. At worse I could stay in Mittenwald on the Austrian border again.
That's a nice little town, by the way.

I wouldn't recommend driving too far straight after a night flight from
America to Europe.

We tried to drive from Mebourne to Adelaide after arriving on a night
flight from KA. Even taking it in turns driving we couldn't stay
awake. We gave up about 50 miles from Adelaide. At that time the roads
were empty once you got out of Melbourne. I wouldn't dream of ever
doing it again.

Well, at least driving from Frankfurt airport you won't die of boredom G

Old September 5th, 2011, 12:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

On 09/03/2011 01:33 PM, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 12:23:13 +0200, Tom wrote:

On 09/02/2011 09:53 AM, Martin wrote:

On 2011-08-09 02:17:40 -0500, Tom P said:

On 08/08/2011 11:56 PM, Dan Stephenson wrote:
My plans were to visit Europe again in October, but it has come to my
attention that the use of those body scanners has become common since
the attempted bombing of that flight to Detroit last Christmas 2009. My
last flight was prior to that.

So I called the Athens airport and spoke to their security people who
said that they had the scanners and their use was required, and
furthermore that this was to be found in the other airports in Europe.

This sounds incredible but it is plausible. Can anyone confirm this at
your local big airport? My googling only turned up EU regular that
"permitted" the scanners and a lot of talk of health issues. But that is
all.

There was something in the news here the other day about the scanners
on trial at Hamburg airport proving to be useless - much too slow, and
with a 35% to 70% false alarm rate, depending on which press story you
believe - ah, just found some references:
http://www.whec.com/news/stories/s2225742.shtml?cat=566

or google bodyscanner+false+alarms

It appears that the German authorities have decided to discontinue
their use, at least of the make of scanner they tested, so hopefully
the taxpayers will get their money back for these expensive piles of
useless junk.

Now this would be good news, in that there is a direct flight from
Dallas/Fort Worth near where I live, to Frankfurt.

If I can confirm the situation in Athens, I might make a
DFW-Frankfurt-Athens travel. Hmm! Maybe I gave up hope too soon!

Plans to introduce scanners in the present form at German airports have
now been abandoned.
The announcement was made this week by the Ministry of Interior. The
tests showed a false alarm rate of 54%.
http://tinyurl.com/454csr3

or a success rate of 46%. If other countries adopt them Germany will
become the terrorists favourite.

The main reason given for rejecting the scanners was that the false
alarms slowed down the security checks. The expectation was that the
machines would speed up security checks. Maybe that's what the salesman
had sold them.

Maybe they needed to buy more machines and operators :-)
The face recognition software used by the police to identify rioters
from CCTV images produced a large number of false positives, that
hasn't stopped them identifying over a1000 rioters

I suspect that the motivation for getting the scanners was not to
catch terrorists but reduce staffing.

Old September 6th, 2011, 04:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Default Ferries to Greece, and Venice nighttime walking body scanners in European airports

Dan Stephenson wrote:

Being jet-lagged
would be the perfect situation for walking the empty streets of Venice
at night.

Though not strictly 'Europe' I'm just back from a trip which included
Fes, and I certainly wouldn't recommend such a trek through the medina
in that state.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old September 7th, 2011, 03:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 12:20:36 +0200, Tom P wrote:
You want to take a rentacar all the way from Frankfurt on a ferry

Greece?

That might not be allowed. I just checked Europcar and Sixt - neither
allows taking a car to Greece.
Old September 7th, 2011, 03:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

wrote:
You want to take a rentacar all the way from Frankfurt on a ferry

Greece?

That might not be allowed. I just checked Europcar and Sixt -

neither
allows taking a car to Greece.

Neither does Avis. Couldn't find any information from Budget.
Old September 7th, 2011, 10:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Martin wrote:
Schiphol is going to buy more of the scanners that Germany rejected.

A: i can't figure why people are afraid of them.

B: i just heard on the news that we're soon going to be allowed to wear
shoes through security again. HOORAY! This has irritated me more than
any of their other intrusions from the very beginning, because they never
give you a place to sit down to take them off(except the one time I was in
Heath Row) and seldom have a place anywhere near to put them back on.
--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old September 7th, 2011, 11:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT[_8_]

"Erilar" wrote in message
Martin wrote:
Schiphol is going to buy more of the scanners that Germany rejected.

A: i can't figure why people are afraid of them.

B: i just heard on the news that we're soon going to be allowed to wear
shoes through security again. HOORAY! This has irritated me more than
any of their other intrusions from the very beginning, because they never
give you a place to sit down to take them off(except the one time I was in
Heath Row) and seldom have a place anywhere near to put them back on.

Removing shoes at Airports has been inconsistent for several years. I
haven't had to do so at my local Airport (NCL) recently, nor have I had to
do so at Ontario, California (ONT) over the past 3 years. And I don't know
why people object to scanners.
--
JohnT